Second Skin: Documetary on MMORPG Players

[quote]anonym wrote:
Diablo II fucked me up royally back in the day.

Well, not really. But it was bad enough in retrospect and I can see how people could have it worse.

wonders when Diablo III is going to come out…[/quote]

I can relate so much to that. I am happy to have a computer shitty enough so I cant play D3.

About MMORPG and that kind of stuff like TV, when I spend too much time (�­�­more than 1 hour) on that It makes me feel real bad. Makes me feel like I am wasting my life. It is a weird kind of pain, like when you feel hopeless or when you are annoyed by the stupidity and fakeness of some stuff in life.

But you just can’t get away. The proof: I am on this forum. It is just a little less worse.

lol I was kind of addicted to this one 2d online multiplayer game with space ships. Bad ass community though. I was just blazing weed and pretending I was a feared pilot blasting people. I got pretty good and I earned respect on there and had people recognize me as soon as I logged in. I felt some power and respect, even it was only in a 2d space ship world I HAD IT MADE!!!LOL

Then I discovered women:D…then eventually lifting.

I’ve wasted way to much of my life playing games like starcraft, diablo2 and counter-strike. This is one of the reasons I started lifting, because I got sick of sitting in a computer chair all day not getting laid. I have to say i was never to the point that the guys in that documentary were, staying up 3 days and such, eating like shit. I don’t play nearly as much anymore and I’m enjoying a healthy balance in my life. Video-games are fun but definatley not the answer to life.

Video games or mmorpgs are not bad, nor are they good. The key is moderation. The point that any one thing takes over your life you need to step back and take a look at it, and if it is not damaging or hurting you, your life, or others, and you are happy it is probably fine.

These people have jobs, relationships with other people (both online and offline), are in some cases happily married, have kids, and most of them seem happy. They are not hurting any one, and if you judge them you need to look back at your self because you obviously have some problems.

Bottom line not every one is like you and not every one is going to live there life the way you think they should, people have to understand that.

[quote]enigma666 wrote:
Video games or mmorpgs are not bad, nor are they good. The key is moderation. [/quote]

I played WoW in moderation, an average of 20 hours a week. Occasionally more, but more often less. The problem with these games is, they create the illusion of progress, a false sense of satisfaction that should come from actual accomplishment. Most days, we give up 8+ hours of our life to a job we hate, we get in a decent workout, maybe have sex with a woman, if we’re lucky. There’s no progress, there’s no sense of accomplishment. WoW gives you that illusion. “Yesterday I was level 57, today I hit 58. I ran a instance and got a piece of gear that will be good for PvP.” Except of course, it’s nothing. If you need a sense of accomplishment, you should actually go out and do something in the real world. Get something done that won’t cease to exist the moment you log off.

Of course, everyone’s free to do what they want. But you should do stuff in the real world.

[quote]enigma666 wrote:
These people have jobs, relationships with other people (both online and offline), are in some cases happily married, have kids, and most of them seem happy. They are not hurting any one, and if you judge them you need to look back at your self because you obviously have some problems.

Bottom line not every one is like you and not every one is going to live there life the way you think they should, people have to understand that.[/quote]

I’m actually watching the movie right now and agree (so far). Especially the last part.

I think it is unfortunate that some let it get to the point where it destroys their life, but, at the same time, I’m not watching people putting food on the table while dedicating serious time to these games and thinking “LOL I’m so much better than these fags”.

I just took a shit, and guess what? It stunk.

edit: what I DO find troublesome is the seeming necessity of Mountain Dew, Cheetos and other shit for “proper” gaming.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
enigma666 wrote:
Video games or mmorpgs are not bad, nor are they good. The key is moderation.

I played WoW in moderation, an average of 20 hours a week. Occasionally more, but more often less. The problem with these games is, they create the illusion of progress, a false sense of satisfaction that should come from actual accomplishment. Most days, we give up 8+ hours of our life to a job we hate, we get in a decent workout, maybe have sex with a woman, if we’re lucky. There’s no progress, there’s no sense of accomplishment. WoW gives you that illusion. “Yesterday I was level 57, today I hit 58. I ran a instance and got a piece of gear that will be good for PvP.” Except of course, it’s nothing. If you need a sense of accomplishment, you should actually go out and do something in the real world. Get something done that won’t cease to exist the moment you log off.

Of course, everyone’s free to do what they want. But you should do stuff in the real world.[/quote]

Yes that is completely true.

I think a lot of people see any one that plays mmorpgs as “having a problem” alto some people actually have a problem and are truly addicted, for the most part this is not true. there are alot of people that play 10-30 hours a week, and I would hardly consider that excessive. I mean if your playign a game for 1-4 hours a day and working 8 and sleeping 8, thats 17-20 hours of your day. Even if you work out for an hour every day you still have around 7-3 hours a day to do any thing else you may want… I mean give me a break, if you think that’s excessive I think you may be the weird one.

I challenge any one on this board to 100% truthfully say they spend every waking moment accomplishing some thing in real life, that means no watching tv, no reading for enjoyment, no drinking, no going out dancing, no playing golf, no going out to the park and playing soem basket ball, ect.

Yes you should strive for things in real life, but every one needs some thing to do to just unwind, whether that’s a hour or two of tv, reading a good book, or hell even playing an mmo.

the only con with weight lifting compared to videogame addiction is that you fart constantly. Unless you are hitting the nachos pretty hard…

I was seriously addicted to videogames when I was younger because I had nothing else to do, and thank god I broke the addiction. It got to the point where for two years I would do nothing but play videogames and avoid going outside and eating so much fucking junkfood. But I was homeschooled so it was much easier to be fat and lazy and get away with it.

But once I had to go to a real high school my whole world was opened and I dropped videogames and picked up the weights, so thinking back on it and even watching this documentary made me feel really bad for myself, and kind of angry that my parents probably would have led me to become this sort of MMORPG addicted child if I wouldn’t have tried to make strides to change myself. But not to say I dropped videogames entirely, I probably put in 8 hours a week, but they are far less enjoyable than they used to be. When I hit eighteen, I started getting excited over real progress: Hitting bases, getting hours at my job, raises, etc, and recently stacking plates on a deadlift.

I do not want to say that these people are bad for living off false progress, because who is to say if my progress is better than theirs? But I am a firm believer in living life as natural as possible, and I think as a human it is our job to work out ways to progress ourselves to our needs, not paying money to increase a rudimentary stat.

[quote]J.Wollmann wrote:
the only con with weight lifting compared to videogame addiction is that you fart constantly. Unless you are hitting the nachos pretty hard…

[/quote]

Another con is that I also have an addiction to buying weight lifting and exercise equipment and supplements, and its really killing my as money is currently tight for me, just this month i Have spent over 400 bucks on bands, chains, a vice gripper, and supps. I am like a little kid in a candy/toy store when it comes to this stuff =(. I dont even have money to take my GF out to lunch or any thing like that any more lol.

[quote]Tyrant wrote:
I know I sure as fuck won’t be wasting my college years playing diablo 3 or whatever else.[/quote]

Bullshit you won’t. it’s diablo fucking three.

[quote]anonym wrote:
enigma666 wrote:

Bottom line not every one is like you and not every one is going to live there life the way you think they should, people have to understand that.

I’m actually watching the movie right now and agree (so far). Especially the last part.

I think it is unfortunate that some let it get to the point where it destroys their life, but, at the same time, I’m not watching people putting food on the table while dedicating serious time to these games and thinking “LOL I’m so much better than these fags”.

I just took a shit, and guess what? It stunk.

edit: what I DO find troublesome is the seeming necessity of Mountain Dew, Cheetos and other shit for “proper” gaming.[/quote]

Lol yah I mean if your going to play non stop you don’t have to get fat at the same time lol.

My view of the whole MMORPG thing is heavily tinted by the problems it has caused in my older brother’s (and thus mine and my parents’) life, so sorry if I offended anyone.

I would be lying if I said I had never played a video game, but I think there’s a distinct difference between playing a hour or two of Call of Duty with your friends (who are right there with you - probably cursing at each other) before doing something else and then dedicating a huge portion of your life to a game you play alone in a room for several hours in a row. Even games like Bioshock, which I admit I holed up in my room to play for 2-3 hours at a time, has an END. If you beat it, you can do it on a higher difficulty… but that’s about it.

• Multiplayer first person shooters are just another activity you can do with your buddies.
  • Single player RPGs serve as “movies” where you play the main character, but that have an end.
  • MMORPGs serve as alternate worlds to reality (which those who don’t do too well in the real world find preferable - which leads to further alienation from the real world) that NEVER END

If someone is able to play a MMORPG in moderation, good for you, that’s fine. But how many people can do that? The documentary said that half of the people who play admit they are addicted, so I assume they don’t play in moderation.

And it’s true that not everything someone does makes them better. But compare playing 8 hours of World of Warcraft vs 8 hours of reading/lifting/watching TV/jacking off/talking with friends/hitting on girls (or boys as the case may be).

Lol…

I used to play so many online games it was ridiculous.

I was #4 in the world with a McLaren on some stupid track in Need For Speed Carbon…

I thought that was awesome… until I realised there are about 30 people who play that game online.

[quote]Enkiduu wrote:

• MMORPGs serve as alternate worlds to reality (which those who don’t do too well in the real world find preferable - which leads to further alienation from the real world) that NEVER END[/quote]

lol

(need link to watch documentary on canada/out of us)

I used to play a lot of MMORPGs too. You name it ive prolly played it at one point. Then highschool came around and i quit, and now i found one where i can have a life and play at the same time. If anyone wants to know its Jade Dynasty which has a BUILT IN botting system so i can just leave it on overnight and during the day and go have a life.

For me thats perfect, just leave the bot on and go chill. I laugh sometimes too when i see poeple being all loveydovey in a video game acting like its their real life. Then theres those PvP-Gods who start acting like a highschool bully once they get a rank, when in reality theyre 50yr old men who are getting revenge for being picked on themselves during highschool. Its pretty funny actually. I still wanna see the documentary though.

OK for all of those that wanted to see it outside of the US, i got curious and really wanted to watch it and it was 5:30am so i decided to find a link for u guys.

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/second_skin/

its an alright stream (i got a slow net) and pretty good quality especially compared to cams.

(OP maybe post this in main post as an edit so people can get to it faster :slight_smile: )

[quote]ahzaz wrote:
OK for all of those that wanted to see it outside of the US, i got curious and really wanted to watch it and it was 5:30am so i decided to find a link for u guys.

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/second_skin/

its an alright stream (i got a slow net) and pretty good quality especially compared to cams.

(OP maybe post this in main post as an edit so people can get to it faster :slight_smile: )[/quote]

Thanks man.

In my opinion, playing video games is like watching tv or browsing useless stuff on the Internet. It’s something that you do to kill some time, or just to have fun. However, when it becomes and addiction, thats ridiculous. Couch potatoes aren’t better though.

Isn’t there a movie coming out with Bruce Willis where in the future people don’t even leave their houses anymore? They just wake up, sit down in some chair and it like puts your mind into a android that looks like you want to look. People go and live their lives vicariously through these things. I forgot what it was called…

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Isn’t there a movie coming out with Bruce Willis where in the future people don’t even leave their houses anymore? They just wake up, sit down in some chair and it like puts your mind into a android that looks like you want to look. People go and live their lives vicariously through these things. I forgot what it was called…[/quote]

Its called “Thanks for giving away the plot to the fucking movie, asshole!”

Jesus! Can’t you even put “Spoiler Alert”?!!

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Isn’t there a movie coming out with Bruce Willis where in the future people don’t even leave their houses anymore? They just wake up, sit down in some chair and it like puts your mind into a android that looks like you want to look. People go and live their lives vicariously through these things. I forgot what it was called…[/quote]

Surrogates