Second-Round Surgery

i’ve had a partial knee replacement as well as a patellar tendon graft in my right knee after severing my acl (the pcl, mcl, and meniscus were also torn).

i’m going in for corrective sugery at the end of the semester for my acl which has been partially torn since last fall. after my first knee surgery, which was on the left knee (mcl, meniscus), i was told by my doctor to take calcium supplements –

i was given no instructions for supplements by my second doctor for my right knee. for those who know or have experienced this - is there something available (perhaps a better calcium supplement) that would help stimulate/stregthen bone growth?

also - any ideas on how to minimalize atrophy? i noticed a huge difference between my first and second surgeries - but i want to get even better.

and lastly - any ideas for how to get in some exercise up top while being stuck in bed?

[quote]red_tortoise wrote:
i’ve had a partial knee replacement as well as a patellar tendon graft in my right knee after severing my acl (the pcl, mcl, and meniscus were also torn).

i’m going in for corrective sugery at the end of the semester for my acl which has been partially torn since last fall. after my first knee surgery, which was on the left knee (mcl, meniscus), i was told by my doctor to take calcium supplements –

i was given no instructions for supplements by my second doctor for my right knee. for those who know or have experienced this - is there something available (perhaps a better calcium supplement) that would help stimulate/stregthen bone growth?

also - any ideas on how to minimalize atrophy? i noticed a huge difference between my first and second surgeries - but i want to get even better.

and lastly - any ideas for how to get in some exercise up top while being stuck in bed?[/quote]

Glucosamine/MSM seem a likely candidate.
I’ve heard rumblings about vitamin C and joint health.

As for atrophy, you can’t avoid the immobilization but single leg work on the other side is known to have some carryover. As much of an intensity as you can get away with, but you wouldn’t want to make the exercise selection too dependent on neural drive/recovery as opposed to muscle stimulation/exhaustion, since you don’t get to establish the firing pattern on the other leg.

Possibilities abound but I’d start with the Ian King Limping series and Eric Cressey’s Single Leg supplements among others. There isn’t much avoiding being in deep doo-doo, but you can certainly be ready with muscle memory and training strategies for when it’s time.
Once you can’t really move, better be extra careful with the diet.

You can’t gain, but you can’t restrict so low that you get into metabolic syndrome effects. Don’t be beholden to someone else to bring food to your bedside. LOL

Upper body? An adjustable dumbbell, a gripper, possibly a band, and maybe a playmate in bed?!..those are in order of cost and feasibility. haha

Good luck.