Second Round of 5/3/1 and I am Regressing

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
OP, if I were you, I would just knock another 10% off all my training maxes and start there. Give it 3 cycles that way and then if you are still lagging, move onto something else. I suppose its not for everybody, but its so well programmed I have a hard time believing it wouldn’t. Be sure to eat and recover.
[/quote]

^this!

[quote]tajacks2 wrote:
Tru dat guys, no need to be precise. He is obviously using too much weight for the rep ranges. So why round up 5 ponds if he is struggling? 8======D~~~~~~~ O:[/quote]

I always round down unless I am within .5lbs of the next 5lb increment.

You hit 205 for 2, and 300 for 3, when the prescribed rep is 1. I don’t know about you but it seems you’re doing fine, stop over-thinking shit. Eat more, sleep more, stress less.

I had a look at your spreadsheet and it looks like you have it under control tbh.

Some people get massive rep numbers on 531, others rep really low. My friend for example freaks out if he gets less than 12 on his “1” sets… whereas I am happy to get 5.

As long as you are hitting your prescribed reps, the program is working. Until you actually MISS a lift, don’t stress about it. In all likelihood, your body is simply adapting to the new training system.

Heck, if you are really worried about a particular lift, repeat the same weight next cycle. Remember the 10 and 5 increases are MAXIMUM increases; there is no minimum. Maybe you need to build your endurance?

If you feel weak, this could be lack of sleep or diet. I’d look at your pre workout nutrition.

Don’t stress about the actual programming - it’s fine. If and when you fail to hit the prescribed reps, simply drop your max 10% and reset. As per the manual:

“You’ll eventually come to a point where you can’t make any more progress on a lift. You won’t be able to hit the sets and reps you’re supposed to hit, and the weights will start to get too heavy. When this happens, I simply take 90% of my max (either a 1RM or a rep max) and start all over again.”

…but wait until you actually miss.

Just out of interest, what is your assistance work? Just BBB or do you do other stuff too?

I’ve been doing triumvirate.

Cycle 1:
DB Bench Press 5 x 10
DB Row 5 x 15

DB Lunge 5 x 12
Good Mornings 5 x 10

DB Seated Press 5 x 8
Pull ups 5 x 10

DB 1-legged dead lift 5 x 10
Shrugs 5 x 10

I did core work whenever I felt like it.

Cycle 2:
DB Bench Press 5 x 10
DB Row 5 x 15

Barbell Lunge 5 x 10
Good Mornings 5 x 10

DB Standing Press 5 x 8
Pull ups 5 x 10

Farmers walks x 4
Shrugs 4 x 12
Planks (Front and Side) x 4 @ 1 min

I’ve been doing so much unilateral work because I almost never do it.

For Cycle 3 I plan to do this:

Bench Press 5 x 10
Pendlay Row 5 x 12

Front Squats 5 x 12
Good Mornings 5 x 10

Press 5 x 8
Pull ups (+5lbs) x 10

Rack Pulls 5 x 8
Land Mines or Pallof Press

[quote]tajacks2 wrote:
90% of your 1rm on bench is 203.4 this should be your training max for the program, yet you are doing 205. You are not following 5/3/1.[/quote]

8/10 just cause you caught idiots on the hook

[quote]daraz wrote:

[quote]tajacks2 wrote:
90% of your 1rm on bench is 203.4 this should be your training max for the program, yet you are doing 205. You are not following 5/3/1.[/quote]

8/10 just cause you caught idiots on the hook[/quote]

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Well played, tajacks2.:slight_smile:

So the only real advice I can take away from this simply to start over?

It’s not starting over. You’re simply breaking pr’s at lower weights.

[quote]IronDistortion wrote:
So the only real advice I can take away from this simply to start over?[/quote]
Well the program says that when you stall, you should lighten your “true” max by 10% and start again. So yeah, if you want to follow the program, that is what you should do.

[quote]IronDistortion wrote:
So the only real advice I can take away from this simply to start over?[/quote]

You don’t understand the program if that’s all you got out of this.

FWIW, I’d gone two weeks feeling kinda crappy and barely get the Rx’d reps or maybe one over. Then, on the 5/3/1 week, I’d smash it for 3-4 outta reps. Happened a few times. Best thing to do is stay the course, then reset next cycle. No matter what. I promise you’ll come back stronger as long as you’re giving your body what it needs to recover.

^ What he said…

and remember, you haven’t actually stalled. Stop listening to your ego, and give the program more patience.

aside from starting over it seems like you have alot more pressing than pulling… something to think about. Why would you ever do shrugs as a bang for your buck exercise haha

[quote]bignate wrote:
aside from starting over it seems like you have alot more pressing than pulling… something to think about. Why would you ever do shrugs as a bang for your buck exercise haha[/quote]

OP, If you want to shrug, just add a set to the end of your final work set of the day. It’ll work your grip as well. Time management, BRO!