Second Hard Drive Crash

So the first laptop i ever purchased an an HP about 4 years ago. That thing lasted for about 3 years until the hard drive failed last october, so I got a new hp, figuring that the last comp had a pretty good and considering hp’s have a pretty good track record. I have had nothing but slow dying hd problems with it since then. Yesterday it finally froze up and fucked up my partitions for linux and windows. The whole thing is totally fucked now, thank god it was still under warranty, i am getting my new hd for it on monday.

Has anyone else had problems like this with their hp, or even while running a dual boot partition with linux?

I am seriously considering putting this comp up on ebay and putting that money towards a mac.

Your room may be humid which is bad for HD’s. Out of the few OEMs who make HDs - WD, Seagate, whatever - none have stood out as problematic to me. Don’t bother with the Apple, they get their HDs from OEMs too (and they are massively gay as well).

[quote]Make1tRa1n wrote:
Your room may be humid which is bad for HD’s. Out of the few OEMs who make HDs - WD, Seagate, whatever - none have stood out as problematic to me. Don’t bother with the Apple, they get their HDs from OEMs too (and they are massively gay as well).[/quote]

ya, but i like the fact that macs come with solid black frame artsy glasses

Your best bet is to buy a Windows PC via an online retailer such New Egg or Adamant. I have a Mac and love it dearly, but my hard drive scrambled in January, and I’m lucky I saved the data I was able to retrieve. When Macs have problems, they’re usually big, messy ones.

Hard drives die more frequently than every other piece of hardware combined if you exclude LCD panels for laptops from the rest. I’ve had drives run for 10 years, a couple that were DOA and everything in between. On top of that notebook drives go belly up even more often than standard drives. Until ram drives are a practical reality and mechanical drives are still the norm a run of bad luck is probably inevitable eventually which sounds like what you’re having.

I have a feeling anybody running a dualie with Linux and Windows knows this, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with your drives dying.

Macs are only good for media purposes. I still believe PC rules for all others. That said, I have an HP laptop, I customized it though as opposed to buying a package deal. I think its smarter to spend the extra money and get the features you desire because usually they are they are the better features. Mines about 10 months old, very nice, 2.0GB with Core 2 duo 2.0 Ghz processor. I haven’t had any trouble with it so far.

I do know a lot of people with Macs they often cause much more problems than they’re worth man.

So you’re saying the HDD is dying/died? Why not pop in another HDD? Thats a lot cheaper than buying a new laptop.

Do you drop your laptop a lot? I have laptops from 92 that still have no hdd problems (screens are dead, but hdds work fine).

I don’t see what dual booting has to do w/ the hdd failing. If you have corruption, thats still hardware based. I’d consider just going on newegg and buying a decent drive or spending the cash and getting solid state if you’re that concerned.

Do you check to make sure the hdd is fine right after you purchase it? Run HDtune. Thats a great way to ensure your hdd is not a dud.

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
I do know a lot of people with Macs they often cause much more problems than they’re worth man.[/quote]

I like my Mac a lot, but when my hard drive scrambled because I downloaded legacy Shockwave, I was pissed. I was told that it wasn’t under warranty, because it was software, so I said that I would bring it home and try to extract my data. I extracted my data with the help of my friend and a FireWire cord, and afterwards, I promptly put a U-shaped magnet to my hard drive and brought it back. The problem then registered as a hard drive failure (it wasn’t able to mount the disk because it couldn’t find the necessary data that I had destroyed with the magnet) and I got it fixed for free.

it is still under warranty, so i am getting a new hdd sent to me for free on monday, but still, a pain in the ass, especially the week before finals.

Yeah, I feel ya. Taking notes was a bitch without a laptop in a few of my classes.

[quote]Jacked Diesel wrote:
Make1tRa1n wrote:
Your room may be humid which is bad for HD’s. Out of the few OEMs who make HDs - WD, Seagate, whatever - none have stood out as problematic to me. Don’t bother with the Apple, they get their HDs from OEMs too (and they are massively gay as well).

ya, but i like the fact that macs come with solid black frame artsy glasses[/quote]

LOL, well played sir.

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:
Yeah, I feel ya. Taking notes was a bitch without a laptop in a few of my classes.[/quote]

I don’t like taking notes with a laptop, for some reason. If it’s a big kind of lecture where I know the guy is just bullshitting then sure, but if I feel it’s something I have to study for (as in, the professor is basically introducing us to what’s going to be on the midterm/finals) I like to take short notes by hand and do (topic) = (one sentence explanation) on another page to prepare for the flashcards I’ll be making–which are the secret weapon of all A students who barely study, believe me.

[quote]Dweezil wrote:
I don’t like taking notes with a laptop, for some reason.[/quote]

If the notes are in presentation/powerpoint form, I use my laptop. If it’s on a chalk or whiteboard, I use a notebook. It just depends on the material, really.

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
Macs are only good for media purposes.

I do know a lot of people with Macs they often cause much more problems than they’re worth man.[/quote]

Wow, do you even realize how grossy misinformed you are??

Good luck with your virus/spyware/malware box!

Macs have hard drives just like PCs, yet they do not have millions of viruses, spyware, or other malware looming out there with back door access to your system like on all PCs.

Macs are vastly superior to PCs in every way. They are even less expensive now as well.

In fact, businesses are starting to turn to the Mac for their inherent reliability, ease of administration, and lack of malware running rampant.

All hard drives are guaranteed to crash at some point. It has nothing to do with Mac vs. PC. Don’t be a douchebag and think you don’t have to backup your data every day. If you do, life is easy even when the hard drive dies.

Mac OS X now has Time Machine that backs up every file every time you make any changes to it. You can easily sort back through time to find the version you need. It automatically backs up the entire system without more than one click of a mouse.

Even Steve Ballmer admitted this week that Vista is “a work in progress” a.k.a it’s a piece of shit that we’re charging customers to beta test for us. What a great guy and what a super company. Yay Microsoft rules!

[quote]sumgai wrote:
Macs are vastly superior to PCs in every way. They are even less expensive now as well.[/quote]

In the sub-2k market the price modifier on Apple products is like 1.5x for comparable hardware from Dell or HP, and even running up until about 3k there’s a 1.5x price modifier v. Lenovo.

There haven’t been great gains in the enterprise share by Apple because they have very little in terms of enterprise software or support. Their gains in market share have been on the consumer side. Orders are made in bulk, Apple does not have the sales staff to compete with enterprise software vendors and they never will, and those vendors don’t even discuss Macs. Even if companies start releasing serious stacks for the Mac they’ll never dedicate the same amount of resources that they do to Windows and Linux dev.

So basically, it’s taken them 20 years to invent their own version of MS-DOS.

People that are anti-“M$” are worse than people that are cheerleaders for them. You’re fucking retarded. I mean that seriously. You have a mental problem, the state should declare you as incompetent, you should get disability and live in section 8 housing or a group home. You need a handler, you probably need someone to walk you. I’m not going to go so far as to say you should have an ankle bracelet, but some kind of passive monitoring system is warranted here.

You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. The Mac isn’t impenetrable, there have been POC Mac viruses floating around since the mid-80s. Transmission 90+% of the time either originates or is propagated by enterprise users, and Apple couldn’t produce anything to stop that if they were major enterprise players because they are not a fucking anti-virus company and it’s impossible to stop viruses. Fuck, most companies can’t even stop black hats with dedicated IT divisions. You think it’s impossible for a black hat to toy with a Mac? Are you fucking kidding me?

It’s people like you that make me self-conscious about even having a Mac, because you’re the atypical knows-nothing-about-technology ideologue loudmouth shithead that’s portrayed when people look at Mac users. I’m going to have to keep my Mac at home and just use my Dell anywhere there are other people at this point.

I’ve had the same Mac for 8 years now. Never a crash, never a virus. It’s a fucking workhorse. I use it for my job daily.

Besides, PCs have been trying to be more Mac-like in all these years, so why go with an imitation. Every PC user I know has bitched about their PC problems. Two of them switched to Mac and never went back!