Second Exercise Same as Main Lift?

Currently I am doing 5x10 deadlifts after 5/3/1 squats and other way around for deadlift day. and same goes for military and bench. Would it be more benficial to do the same exercise each day to really work that lift? By that i mean on my 5/3/1 bench day do 5x10 bench as my second exercise. Are these used for different results or is it a matter of preference. I see both used alot. Thanks

Would it be more beneficial? Unlikely. Keep doing it the way you’re doing it now.

One is boring, one is not so boring. It doesn’t really matter.

[quote]IKWC wrote:
Currently I am doing 5x10 deadlifts after 5/3/1 squats and other way around for deadlift day. and same goes for military and bench. Would it be more benficial to do the same exercise each day to really work that lift? By that i mean on my 5/3/1 bench day do 5x10 bench as my second exercise. Are these used for different results or is it a matter of preference. I see both used alot. Thanks[/quote]

This was addressed in the Beyond book. It won’t make a difference in the long run - and that’s what matters. I think most people realize that the whole “Better body/bench, etc. in 8 weeks” is a sham. Look long term. It’s just like when people “cut”. Nothing could be worse than a person not embracing a lifetime habit and favoring a trend.

The only difference that I have found, for me, is that I don’t have to spend any time warming up if I do volume work with the main lift. That’s a minor thing really but it comes down to personal preference.

For me, the best ever gains were from doing BBB exactly how it was written in the first book.

Strength gains for the 5/3/1 lifts, and mass gains for the BBB ones :slight_smile:

Of course I’m not Jim, but I think that for most lifters - especially non-assisted - it is better to train the lifts with a higher frequency. Thus I think that it’s generally better to do exactly as you’re doing i.e. deadlifts after squats (and viceversa) and military press after bench (and viceversa). That way each of these big lifts is trained twice per week - once using the 5/3/1 system and the other time on the BBB system which may well have you doing more reps (perhaps 50% TM for 5 sets of 10 reps for example).
That’s my two cents anyway.