Second Breakfast

The article today about “Fat Guy Eating Pattern” (i.e., not eating breakfast makes you fat) had me thinking about something I’ve done for years, starting because (a long time ago) I used to commute from Greenwich, CT to NYC – being like a Hobbit and having a second breakfast.

I’ve always known about, and appreciated, a solid breakfast, but I was often stressed and, as such, woke with a pretty sour stomach and zero desire to eat.

I’d force myself. Once, I puked while brushing my teeth.

Then I decided to split a very large breakfast in two parts – one upon waking, and then one about 45 minutes or an hour later (still early AM) as I got to work.

You know, a “Second Breakfast,” like a Hobbit.

I’ve continue this pattern, even though I don’t commute.

Unlike a Hobbit, I tend to just have a protein drink for an early dinner (about 6:00pm) at work, but that’s also largely a byproduct of being a workaholic and protein drinks fit nicely in the desk.

What about elevenses?

Luncheon?

Afternoon tea?

Dinner?

Supper?

3 Likes

All analogies only go so far, you know.

It’s not quite 1100 and I’ve had 4 meals so far.

0600: Protein shake with greek yogurt and a deer and cheese stick

0800: Mushroom and swiss quiche

0930: Tri tip steak

1030: 5 sausage and turkey meatballs, half pound of taco meat, half an avocado

I’ve learned to quit giving the meals names, because it just gets confusing.

2 Likes

That just sounds like eating every 2-3 hours. Hobbits were the original bodybuilders.

Which would probably make dwarves the original powerlifters and elves… CrossFitters.

Out of curiosity, do you go to sleep fairly early too or do you just go a bunch of hours with an empty-ish stomach before bed?

4 Likes

Are Orcs just your generic gym bros?

1 Like

I do try to go to bed early (like 9:00 with a ~5:00 waking), but, as noted, I travel a lot and am a workaholic. If things string late (e.g., an IPO), I may throw in another lean protein drink, probably coupled with copious amounts of coffee and nicorette. I try to just drink water or weak tea, but life happens.

In general, I have a light snack at 3-4 and then just protein drink, if anything, until bed.

I’ve been doing this for 30+ years.

I’d love to say I was ahead of my time with intermittent fasting and stacking food in the AM, but the truth is, I’m cheap and keeping kosher is downright expensive if you try to eat out in NYC, so I’ve brought food from home most of my life. So it was real food in the morning/afternoon and then something from a jug of protein powder after.

The only dinner I have had on a constant basis is Shabbos meal on Friday. And it’s usually something pretty awesome and carby, with wine. So there’s the re-feed.

I will say it works for me. I regularly get mistaken for 20 years younger than I am. I still pull in excess of 500 on the regular, and hang out in the 10 to low teens in body fat.

1 Like

Only in Jersey.

The Ents, BTW, are the solitary old dudes at the gym. They always come in alone. They wear sweatpants and sweat shirts and press 405 for reps.

1 Like

Golem is the janitor who always cleans the equipment I’m trying to use

I once had a gym I was at where the cleaning lady decided to mop my feet. Yes, they got drenched. Another member said he thought she liked me.

1 Like