Seated Good Mornings

Hey guys,

i want to take this excercise in my training routine to train the spinal erectors dynamically (!).
therefore i round my back and then raise it up on each rep because in my opinion otherwise the spinal erectors were trained only statically.

what do you think of this execution? do you know other excercises to train the spinal erectors dynamically?

greetings
Illu

seated good mornings are great but from my personal experience they are more for abs and upper back. deadlifts have always been great for spinal erectors and barbell rows are good too. otherwise just normal good mornings are good

thank you. is your back rounded or arched on each rep?
and which excercises train the spinal erectors dynamically? with deadlift e.g. you only train it statically…

Really depends on the individual and your flexibility… I feel the Seated Goodmorning much more in my erectors, gluteus, and hip flexors than I do in the abs, upper back, and/or hamstrings. Due to my flexibility with this exercise I am able to touch my stomach, chest, and nose/chin in that order and hold for 3 to 5 count before exploding up. Leg/knee width and foot stance will also change this exercise considerably.

I will admit that initially my hamstrings were blasted by this exercise the first two sessions.

Also note: I perform a goodmorning variation always with a hold as one of my warm-up exercises… e.g. Band Goodmorning; Standing Power Goodmorning; Standing Stiff-Legged Goodmorning; Seated Goodmorning

I hope that you are deadlifting significantly over 600lbs because if not, and you are worrying about such a trivial thing, then you’ve got your priorities seriously messed up.

Do you think that the strongest deadlifter freak out about “finding a movement to train the lower back dynamically”? Heck no! 95% of the strongest powerlifters and olympic lifters do not do that type of targeted work and those that do (there are a few olympic lifters that do some stiff leg rounded back lifting, but it is a huge minority) do not do it to a significant extent.

Yet these guys have the strongest lower backs in the world. And if you tested them “dynamically” they would score through the roof.

Deadlift/pull big weights with good form, perform the olympic lifts and squat heavy and stop majoring in the minor.

NOTE: Some olympic lifters (Klokov and some chinese lifters) do a very small amount of rounded back lifting, but these guys are already at the top of their physical capacities and investing in something that might help them by 0.5 - 1% might be worth the time and energy. But for someone who is not anywhere near that level, the efforts and adaptation energy would be better spent elsewhere.

But if you have some weird mental issue about training the lower back dynamically, find a place where strongmen train and do the Atlas stones.