Seated Good Mornings

Does anybody here do seated good mornings? I have never tried them, but now that lacrosse season has started my legs will be in a perpetual state of pain for the next few weeks and I won’t be doing any leg work in the gym (besides calves). Regular good mornings destroy my hamstrings, so I am hoping for some opinions on the seated version.

[quote]Cronus wrote:
Does anybody here do seated good mornings? I have never tried them, but now that lacrosse season has started my legs will be in a perpetual state of pain for the next few weeks and I won’t be doing any leg work in the gym (besides calves). Regular good mornings destroy my hamstrings, so I am hoping for some opinions on the seated version.[/quote]

Use to do them a lot when I was Olympic lifting. I did not feel anything in my hamstrings from seated good morns although I did feel them in my hips.

One piece of advice I have is to gradually work in a full range of motion. For example, my first set had me lower my body to about 35-40 degrees. By my last couple of work sets my nose would touch the bench I was sitting on.

thanks for the tip jimg

Didn’t expect a lot of replies, seems like a pretty rare movement.

^all you need.

Hannah’s a beast

This does look like something that could help you stretch/work your hips and groin well.

[quote]trav123456 wrote:
Hannah’s a beast

This does look like something that could help you stretch/work your hips and groin well.[/quote]

No shit! That cute little thing has a 450# competition squat video on her youtube channel!

Nice

Tried once, didn’t feel great on my lower back. Never tried again…

One coach that I tend to hold in very high esteem is Charles Poliquin. That being said, here’s what he says about seated goodmornings:

"I was introduced to this exercise 20 years ago by former Canadian national weightlifting coach Pierre Roy who, in turn, learned it from talking shop with his Polish colleagues.

Seated good mornings are a great movement for athletes who have yet to be exposed to intensive lower back work. In other words, I’m more likely to prescribe it to a beginner than to an Olympian. However, there are times when it’s a proper choice for an elite athlete.

Every time I show this exercise to someone, I always make sure to warn him or her that it won’t necessarily feel like much when they’re doing them. I invariably get the following response:

“Coach, this doesn’t work the hamstrings â?? I only feel it in the lower back.”

I either slap them or tell that we’ll “talk about it tomorrow.” It never fails. I always get an apology the next day that goes something like:

“Oh, guru, how I can I have doubted you? I can’t even sit on the john without screaming in pain. Please forgive me, I will never doubt your infinite training wisdom again.”

Well, something like that. Since I use this exercise mainly in general preparatory phases, I tend to prescribe slower tempos (such as 3030) and higher repetitions (8-12). Therefore, I use it mainly for anatomical adaptations (building the size of the hamstrings, teaching recruitment, etc.).

I may even prescribe extremely slow tempo (up to ten seconds) for the concentric range. When I choose this route, I’m mainly concerned with creating intramuscular tension by forbidding the use of momentum. Of course, when I use such slow tempos, I rarely exceed six repetitions per set."

[quote]handsomedevil wrote:
One coach that I tend to hold in very high esteem is Charles Poliquin. That being said, here’s what he says about seated goodmornings:

"I was introduced to this exercise 20 years ago by former Canadian national weightlifting coach Pierre Roy who, in turn, learned it from talking shop with his Polish colleagues.

Seated good mornings are a great movement for athletes who have yet to be exposed to intensive lower back work. In other words, I’m more likely to prescribe it to a beginner than to an Olympian. However, there are times when it’s a proper choice for an elite athlete.

Every time I show this exercise to someone, I always make sure to warn him or her that it won’t necessarily feel like much when they’re doing them. I invariably get the following response:

“Coach, this doesn’t work the hamstrings â?? I only feel it in the lower back.”

I either slap them or tell that we’ll “talk about it tomorrow.” It never fails. I always get an apology the next day that goes something like:

“Oh, guru, how I can I have doubted you? I can’t even sit on the john without screaming in pain. Please forgive me, I will never doubt your infinite training wisdom again.”

Well, something like that. Since I use this exercise mainly in general preparatory phases, I tend to prescribe slower tempos (such as 3030) and higher repetitions (8-12). Therefore, I use it mainly for anatomical adaptations (building the size of the hamstrings, teaching recruitment, etc.).

I may even prescribe extremely slow tempo (up to ten seconds) for the concentric range. When I choose this route, I’m mainly concerned with creating intramuscular tension by forbidding the use of momentum. Of course, when I use such slow tempos, I rarely exceed six repetitions per set."
[/quote]

sounds good enough for me!I may give them a go.