Seated Good Mornings for Pre-hab

Just being reading some of the threads about lower back injuries and I’m wondering what are the merits of the seated good morning?

The reason I ask is because in “A system of multiyear training in weightlifting” by medvedyev, it says that seated good mornings on a bench and on the floor are used " to prevent injuries associated with weightlifting training". The exercise is listed regularly in the programs.

Why is performing them seated rather then standing more associated with injury prevention, and what are your experiences with using the exercise?

Thanks

do you mean like this?

bahahahah

you probably mean seated on the floor, but that picture is psychotic.

anyway, i really have no idea on this one… i would think controlled standing GM’s would be better… really using the glutes to extend the hip, keeping the abs tight & protecting the spine…

no idea just thought i’d post a cool pic.

peace

I haven’t done them in a long time (no good reason why not: it’s just that there are so many exercises) but I used to do them at a bench press station. However with the bar positioned as if squatting, keeping the back arched, and going to the point of the bottom of the rib cage touching the thighs. And unlike the picture, not lifting the hips off the bench. It’s a good movement.

I don’t know what method Medvedyev is referring to. I suspect his bench method doesn’t involve the hips rising off the bench, but don’t know.

While I have no problem with the standing good morning, I wouldn’t be surprised, just judging from feel, if the arched back seated may not be safer in a problematic situation.

Thanks for the replies.
God damn thats a sick pic! I wonder if his back is rounded on that, difficult to tell with the barbell in the way.

My thoughts on the exercise are that you are supposed to used a rounded back but use very light weight to strengthen the small deep muscles of the spine? On the other hand going to the range of motion shown in that picture with the back kept straight and rigid would be an excellent flexibility exercise for the hips.
Unfortunately there are no pics in “a system of multiyear training in weightlifting” of the exercise.

it looks like seated, going all the way down may simulate the effects of a reverse hyperextension and thus giving you the pre had benifits, as far as keeping the low back healthy, ive been on a strict regiment of lots of deadlifts hypers and ab work and i havent re injured my back for more than a year due to using the hype consistantly

These are kind to the back. When done with light weights for reps, they make seem to help work kinks and tightness out of my lower back by the tractioniong action of the movement- much like a reverse hyper like Nate up there was saying- or cable pull throughs.

I like going heavy on these as well. When I have had hippain and could not confomtably train heavy squats or deads on my feet, I have gone heavy on these doing a chain-suspended version.

[quote]supa power wrote:
Thanks for the replies.
God damn thats a sick pic! I wonder if his back is rounded on that, difficult to tell with the barbell in the way.

My thoughts on the exercise are that you are supposed to used a rounded back but use very light weight to strengthen the small deep muscles of the spine? On the other hand going to the range of motion shown in that picture with the back kept straight and rigid would be an excellent flexibility exercise for the hips.
Unfortunately there are no pics in “a system of multiyear training in weightlifting” of the exercise.[/quote]

The amount of weight on the bar tells the storey.

I have used these sometimes with heavier weights, round back, less range of motion. Reason is that normal GMs, round or straight, SLD, actually any deads or pulls even hypers tend to work my hammies tighten my hammies more than my back. This was the only exercise that worked my lower (actually mid erectors etc) back without tightening my hammies. I found my hammies were more stablising but my back felt good. I used a couple of plates on the bench lifting my hips a bit more,but still had my weight on my butt.

Actually most OL programs tend to use GMs with lighter weights than you usually expect.