Seated DB Power Clean?

Hi all,

I’ve been doing Westcoast for Skinny Buggers, and was wondering how you go about doing a ‘seated dumbbell power clean’. My gym’s set up at home, and none of my mates train, so I have no one to ask. I’ve done a Google, but can’t find shit, so I apologise if this is a dumb question.
I’m assuming you just sit yourself on the bench, arms by your side, bring the dumbs up to your shoulders, and repeat. That wrong?

Dan

[quote]Ahdanielsan wrote:
Hi all,

I’ve been doing Westcoast for Skinny Buggers, and was wondering how you go about doing a ‘seated dumbbell power clean’. My gym’s set up at home, and none of my mates train, so I have no one to ask. I’ve done a Google, but can’t find shit, so I apologise if this is a dumb question.
I’m assuming you just sit yourself on the bench, arms by your side, bring the dumbs up to your shoulders, and repeat. That wrong?

Dan[/quote]

What’s wrong is doing an Olypic lift variation seated! It’s not your fault for trying to fing something new, but some variations just don’t make sense. Power cleans are used to develope explosive strength through integration of the ankles, knees, hips, core, spine, shoulders, and a small contribution from the biceps. the key word being “explosive”. Unless you are a wheel chair athlete and your coach insists and has demonstrated this to you,take my advice and do them standing, please.

I think he was asking, because in the training “Westside for Skinny Bastards”, Joe puts that in his program as one of the few to choose from. I, personally, don’t know exactly how to do them, either.

[quote]HouseOfAtlas wrote:
I think he was asking, because in the training “Westside for Skinny Bastards”, Joe puts that in his program as one of the few to choose from. I, personally, don’t know exactly how to do them, either. [/quote]

That’s right. And as I have a simple set up (bench and free weights), I can’t do the other exercises because they require cables. Maybe I need to get my toolkit out, and rig up some crazy pulley system :slight_smile:

Dan

Seated Dumbbell Cleans: This exercise is designed to isolate the posterior deltoids and upper back. To begin grab a pair of dumbbells and sit on the edge of a bench. Start the movement by pulling your shoulder blades up and back. At this point, bring the dumbbells up while keeping your elbows at a right angle.

[quote]MurrDawg wrote:
Seated Dumbbell Cleans: This exercise is designed to isolate the posterior deltoids and upper back. To begin grab a pair of dumbbells and sit on the edge of a bench. Start the movement by pulling your shoulder blades up and back. At this point, bring the dumbbells up while keeping your elbows at a right angle. [/quote]

Sounds about right to me. I was doing WSSB II for the past few weeks and when I first saw that as an option, I thought “What the hell is that…” Seriously, just sit down and snap those DB’s on up as if you were doing a the standing version. I start from a position of leaning forward somewhat (just as you would if standing).

Thanks for the help guys :slight_smile:

Dan

Shoot me an email and I’ll get you a video of them.

ericcressey@hotmail.com