Seated Cable Rows or Kroc Rows?

So, I’m at a new gym since I moved and they have tons of stuff. What I’m stoked about is the seated cable row machine as seen in Pumping Iron and the like. But my programming uses a Kroc DB row as a horizontal pulling movement. My question is are these two comparable, or even interchangable? And if not, which one would be more beneficial? Any thoughts would be great.

The more beneficial movement is the one you can move more weight(and still be safe of course). Try them both and EXPERIMENT!!!

But why not use both? I love both exercises, great back builders.

I also use both. I love to train my back with heavy weight + high repetitions, and these exercises hit different parts of my upper back.

Is there a technique to Kroc rows? I’ve seen Kroc doing them, but I have to imagine there is something to them rather than just jackin up heavy weight for reps, otherwise I’m thinking we’re gunna see lots of people getting injured trying to do them.

Monday or Tuesday?

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
Is there a technique to Kroc rows? I’ve seen Kroc doing them, but I have to imagine there is something to them rather than just jackin up heavy weight for reps, otherwise I’m thinking we’re gunna see lots of people getting injured trying to do them.[/quote]

He’s written about rowing/pullup technique before.

This exercise is a bit like advanced training programs. You need to have

1. common sense
    and
  2. serious lifting experience

to use it properly imo… Or at least, you can then pretty much figure them out by yourself.

Thanks for all the responses (except the monday tuesday one). Could someone briefly explain what the difference between the two is and which row emphasizes which part of the back? Thanks in advance.

Well, if you watch a video of Kroc doing them – the type employing a bench and pulling the DB so it strikes the upper chest – and watch a video of seated rows being done in one of the correct manners, that would be your best guide.

They are quite different exercises pulling to different locations from different starting positions.

[quote]donovanbrambila wrote:
Thanks for all the responses (except the monday tuesday one). Could someone briefly explain what the difference between the two is and which row emphasizes which part of the back? Thanks in advance.[/quote]

I don’t think there is much of a difference in which muscle it hits, more on how it hits the muscle. I’m not familiar with his workout regimen but I’m sure he’s used both before, the K-row really allows for more weight with less chance of injury.