Seasons lifting in the Abyss - Panzerfaust vs 2013

Hello T-Nationers.

My name is Jay, and I come from a little country called New Zealand, where Hobbits are made. I am not a Hobbit, but I am relatively hairy and I want to get strong like an Orc.

I train for fun, for health, to help keep my depression and anxiety under control, and to occupy time which may otherwise be spent getting killed by 12 year old kids on Call Of Duty; Black Ops 2.

I just finished a full year of Jim Wendler’s 531 Full Body Template, which was my first year of dedicated powerlifting style training. In 2012 I added 97.5kg or 216lb to my 3-lift total, plus 12.5kg to my overhead press.

I am very much a beginner, but I am very serious about my training and firmly wish to become insanely strong so that I may tear the arms off people who disagree with my often-delusional views.

Link to my previous log:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/panzerfaust_vs_full_body_531_for_2012

Bodyweight 96kg at 6 foot / 183cm

Current 1RMs:

Squat 170kg
Bench 112.5kg
Deadlift 230kg
Press 77.5kg

Goals for 2013:

Maintain bodyweight around 93-99kg and relative leanness.

Find a meet to compete in.

Run more.

Squat 200kg
Bench 125kg
Deadlift 272.5kg
Press 85kg

I will begin the year with Sheiko 29… indeed I may perform Sheiko routines for the whole year if I enjoy them. I like the idea of year plans.

One big difference I will make to my training is I will not test my maxes as often. In 2012 I tested them often and I feel this had a negative effect on my training, through disappointment or through recovery issues. I will test them on 3 pre-determined dates, no more; no less.

I will also maintain sensible and consistent diet approaches, another factor which let me down in 2012.

I will post logs of every training session. I will also post a video of “highlights” (this being a very relative term!!) from each training session.

I will record all weights 70% and over.

I am using my Tested 1RMs for all programs. I will not increase between 4-week cycles. I will test my 1RMs at the end of each 3-4 month cycle and recalc the next cycle based on these numbers.

Cheers, and good luck with all of your training for this year! :slight_smile:

Hail, Fire and Death to Weakness!!

14-03-13 update ----> Due to time constraint changes, as of March 14th I have switched to a bastardised 5/3/1 Full Body with Sheiko sets and reps as the “extra” lifts.

Will be starting this on Monday the 7th, unless I get hideously bored in the meantime. Just having a bit of a deload after max testing this Monday.
Today I entered my maxes into the spreadsheet and wrote out my journal for the first week… and holy furrrck that is some serious volume! This is going to be very different to my last year of training - should be exciting.
What I initially notice is huge volume in the key lifts at moderate intensity. I’m assuming the accessories are included mostly for stretching purposes, so I will program them very light.
I will continue my theme of doing 50 chins with every workout.
Looking at it written out, I am curious to see how long each session will be. I hear many people a.m / p.m splitting Sheiko, but I will do it in one session at least initially.

first week of 2013 = arm/delt pump week

in4 dude who actually follows programs as written

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
first week of 2013 = arm/delt pump week
[/quote]
Haha. + grip work

In for Sheiko. Hope you like it!

[quote]panzerfaust wrote:
Will be starting this on Monday the 7th, unless I get hideously bored in the meantime. Just having a bit of a deload after max testing this Monday.
Today I entered my maxes into the spreadsheet and wrote out my journal for the first week… and holy furrrck that is some serious volume! This is going to be very different to my last year of training - should be exciting.
What I initially notice is huge volume in the key lifts at moderate intensity. I’m assuming the accessories are included mostly for stretching purposes, so I will program them very light.
Looking at it written out, I am curious to see how long each session will be. I hear many people a.m / p.m splitting Sheiko, but I will do it in one session at least initially.[/quote]

So 531 is on hold for now?.
Sheiko is awesome, but it will probably take you a lot longer pr training session.
I started it once but had to stop as I could not get in so much training time in my schedule at the time. Due to the volume(grease the grove principle).
But Sheiko works for many people.
Looking forward to seing what you think.

[quote]Backbone wrote:

Looking at it written out, I am curious to see how long each session will be. I hear many people a.m / p.m splitting Sheiko, but I will do it in one session at least initially.[/quote]

So 531 is on hold for now?.
Sheiko is awesome, but it will probably take you a lot longer pr training session.
I started it once but had to stop as I could not get in so much training time in my schedule at the time. Due to the volume(grease the grove principle).
But Sheiko works for many people.
Looking forward to seing what you think.
[/quote]
2012 was all about 531
2013 is going to be all about sheiko
I will test my maxes every 4 months :slight_smile:

In for cave troll panzerfaust.

In for a jolly good time.

07-01-13
Sheiko Cycle 1
Sheiko #29
Week 1 Day 1

Benchpress
3 x 80
3 x 80
3 x 85
3 x 85
3 x 85
3 x 85
3 x 85kg

Squat
5 x 120
5 x 120
5 x 120
5 x 120
5 x 120kg

Benchpress
4 x 80
4 x 80
4 x 80
4 x 80kg

Flat Dumbbell Flies
5 sets of 10 with varying light weights

Good Mornings (standing)
5 sets of 5 with 20,40,45,50,55kg

Chins (alternating grip)
50 total

Notes:

-1st lesson learnt; don’t start Sheiko after a full week of doing nothing!

-I now remember why I hate volume! This is part of the reason I chose Sheiko though; I want to train outside my comfort zone. I figure, if I am avoiding it by nature, it should help me.

-By the end of this workout, both pecs and both hamstrings were in epic pain.

-I’m pausing the first rep of every bench set, and trying to get every squat to parallel or lower.

-Overall, I really enjoyed this workout but hell it hurt! Surprisingly difficult.

-Time taken: 2 hours 15 minutes.

In for a kiwi on sheiko, keen to see how it works for you.

[quote]BreathIn wrote:
In for a kiwi on sheiko, keen to see how it works for you.[/quote]
What’s up man, welcome to the forums also.
Where in NZ are you from? And what kind of training are you doing?
I saw your squat form thread; good stuff!

Cheers mate, its turned into quite the work in progress thread!

In wellington at the moment mate. How about you?

Most of my training is 5/3/1 but doing a peaking cycle on front squat as prescribed by Larry10.

Hey man thought I’d let you know how my year on 5/3/1 full body went. I ended up with a 170kg squat (140 at start of the year) after running the smolov base cycle at the end of the year. All in all I’m happy with what the FB template did for my squat. If anything it got me much more comfortable and confident with my squat.

It’s funny though as I’m now actually looking at training sheiko this year as well, after I finish off the intense phase of smolov (and hopefully bagging that 180kg squat). It blew me out a little when I saw your new log. I’m thinking of either starting with #29 just to see what it’s like or just jumping straight in and doing the 13 week beginners program. Either way, it should be good to once again have someone to compare to. Any idea what number you’ll be doing after 29, 37 by any chance ?

All the best with your training this year mate and good luck with sheiko.

PS. I’m sure you have a bit more in you than 170kg on squat. How come you didn’t test again at the end of the year ?

[quote]BreathIn wrote:
Cheers mate, its turned into quite the work in progress thread!

In wellington at the moment mate. How about you?

Most of my training is 5/3/1 but doing a peaking cycle on front squat as prescribed by Larry10.[/quote]
Haha, yes I noticed it’s fairly extensive, sounds like it’s working for you though.
I’m a Wellingtonian too actually. Where do you train?
Mint - I found 5/3/1 awesome for my first “serious” lifting routine. Pretty much idiot proof, and very flexible to my needs.

[quote]Zhelezen wrote:
Hey man thought I’d let you know how my year on 5/3/1 full body went. I ended up with a 170kg squat (140 at start of the year) after running the smolov base cycle at the end of the year. All in all I’m happy with what the FB template did for my squat. If anything it got me much more comfortable and confident with my squat.

It’s funny though as I’m now actually looking at training sheiko this year as well, after I finish off the intense phase of smolov (and hopefully bagging that 180kg squat). It blew me out a little when I saw your new log. I’m thinking of either starting with #29 just to see what it’s like or just jumping straight in and doing the 13 week beginners program. Either way, it should be good to once again have someone to compare to. Any idea what number you’ll be doing after 29, 37 by any chance ?

All the best with your training this year mate and good luck with sheiko.

PS. I’m sure you have a bit more in you than 170kg on squat. How come you didn’t test again at the end of the year ?

[/quote]
Hey man, cheers for the update! It sounds like we had a very similar experience on Fullbody Template then - nice work.

I absolutely agree, the constant squatting in FBT really helps build confidence with the lift, though funnily enough that is why I did not re-test.

What actually happened is I got a bit slack with recovery towards the end of the year, and basically felt too burnt out to re-test my squat 1RM. Notice my last lifting session was 1RM for upper body only, and I did AMRAP PR’s for lower body lifts. I pretty much didn’t have a heavy squat or deadlift left in me haha.

So yes, I expect with correct preparation I am 100% certain I am good for 175, and likely good for 182.5kg squat right now, but I have not been ready to test it. So yeah we will see where I’m at in 3-4 month’s time when I retest all my lifts.

That’d actually be pretty awesome if we were doing the same training haha. I like comparing results too - it helps identify mistakes and such. What are your other lifts looking like?

I have a couple of approaches in mind:
#29, #37, #32, Test
#29, #29, #37, #32, Test
#29, #37, #30, #32, Test

…so yeah, I am not totally sure yet. I will see how my body feels. I have read some opinions saying it’s important to run 2-3 prep cycles then a peaking cycle to get long term gains.

Thanks for stopping by, and good luck with finishing Smolov, I am sure it’ll bring you that 400lb squat.

07-01-13 video

These are likely to be quite boring since there is no PR work, but I will attempt to include (subjectively) good music and I always appreciate any pointers or criticisms on what I may be fucking up. Particularly for my bench press.

[video]2548[/video]

As for my other lifts, I didn’t train deadlift 100% all year and didn’t test it for much the same reason as you with the squat. It’s currently at an embarassing 185kg, so only a 5kg gain. That’s something I must sort out this year. I did get a 140kg paused bench in a bench only comp and a 145kg t&g in the gym, so I’m happy with that. I’d benched around that much before at 7kg heavier and always had a spotter and was always uncertain if he was helping, but know I train in the rack, so there’s no doubt lol.

From what little I know about sheiko, the approaches you listed above seem pretty logical. The #29/#37/#32 approach is basically the same as the Dave Bates 13 week beginners program that I’m looking at doing, from the BMF sheiko forums. There is also an old article about it here on T-Nation.

Are you using your tested maxes for the program ?

[quote]Zhelezen wrote:
As for my other lifts, I didn’t train deadlift 100% all year and didn’t test it for much the same reason as you with the squat. It’s currently at an embarassing 185kg, so only a 5kg gain. That’s something I must sort out this year. I did get a 140kg paused bench in a bench only comp and a 145kg t&g in the gym, so I’m happy with that. I’d benched around that much before at 7kg heavier and always had a spotter and was always uncertain if he was helping, but know I train in the rack, so there’s no doubt lol.

From what little I know about sheiko, the approaches you listed above seem pretty logical. The #29/#37/#32 approach is basically the same as the Dave Bates 13 week beginners program that I’m looking at doing, from the BMF sheiko forums. There is also an old article about it here on T-Nation.

Are you using your tested maxes for the program ?[/quote]

I’m fairly jealous of your bench - that’s solid as.

Sounds like our bench and dead are converse; deadlift being my strong point and bench sorely undertrained. What style do you deadlift, and what setup? When I switched to an aggressive “grip, dip and rip” approach, my numbers rocketed.

Yes, I have used my tested 1RMs for all lifts. Temptation was there to up my bench a bit, but after day one and associated pain, I am glad I didn’t haha.

I’m likely to try 3 different cycling approaches this year, the first of which will likely be 3 preps plus a peak, and the others may be 2 preps plus a peak. This should work out timewise, once I factor in deloads after testing etc.

What I am predicting is a very sore year.

Haha, yes I noticed it’s fairly extensive, sounds like it’s working for you though.
I’m a Wellingtonian too actually. Where do you train?
Mint - I found 5/3/1 awesome for my first “serious” lifting routine. Pretty much idiot proof, and very flexible to my needs.
[/quote]

Im training in my bedroom ha!

Yea 5/3/1 seems great in terms of flexibility surrounding assistance work. Probably helps reduce the chance of getting bored and jumping on different routines.

Judging by your videos it appears you may be a home gym guy too?