T Nation

Seasoning Vegetables

Does anyone have any recipes for making vegetables taste better? I usually just steam everything and eat it as is, but the girl I’m living with bitches all the time about the plain broccoli, caulflower, brussel sprouts, etc.

For steamed broccoli, a little bit of sea salt, crushed black pepper and lemon juice goes a long way. I’d imagine any cruciferous veg would take to the same seasonings. I use the above plus garlic powder and cayenne pepper to season pretty much everything.

Steaming: sprinkle with Mr. Dash beforehand - it might help if you rinse/soak the veg first so the seasoning sticks a bit.

Grill veg - tastes different plain, also you can add any spices. for instance I sprinkle with curry or chili powder (or the aforementioned Mrs Dash). You can also add garlic (I just use chopped from a jar), fresh cilantro, onion etc…

This is my favorite way of doing veg. Get a pan, put in the veg that cooks quickest on the bottom - shredded/chopped green cabbage in my case, then add the other veg chopped (cauli, broc, asparagus, carrot etc…), fresh cilantro, then shredded/chopped (not too fine) red cabbage, sprinkle seasoning and onion on top, grill (broil) for 5-10 minutes on low, until cooked and the top is crispy.

My favorite veggy…

asparagas brushed with olive oil and then I fresh press garlic on it. Grill turning about aver 2-3 minutes for about 8 minutes. Its awesome.

This may sound weird, but I like cinnamon, chili powder, and sea salt. Sometimes separately, sometimes all together.

Don’t knock it till you try it…

Cinnamon and sea salt is really good on steamed zuchinni!

I’ve always liked sea salt, garlic powder and red pepper flakes on my veggies.

Recently, I found a garlic salt made with sea salt that I really like.

I like a little Mrs Dash (any flavor) or garlic powder, but I eat most veggies for nutritional & health benefits rather than taste.

SALT.

Steaming is probably the healthiest, but definitely not the tastiest way to prep.

I salt and pepper generously, VERY lightly coat with oil, and then either grill or saute till I get some browning. Then add freshly pressed garlic and toss with olive oil or homemade pesto. Delicious.

[quote]Itchy wrote:
Does anyone have any recipes for making vegetables taste better? I usually just steam everything and eat it as is, but the girl I’m living with bitches all the time about the plain broccoli, caulflower, brussel sprouts, etc. [/quote]

Hershey’s syrup works pretty well for me!!

i cook mine in chicken broth
tastes amazing
high in sodium though.

[quote]slash4221 wrote:
i cook mine in chicken broth
tastes amazing
high in sodium though.[/quote]

I like sodium.

lots of sodium is fine, just make sure your potassium intake from food is high as well (eg. 5 grams for someone at 4000 calories) and you drink plenty of water

[quote]Itchy wrote:
Does anyone have any recipes for making vegetables taste better? I usually just steam everything and eat it as is, but the girl I’m living with bitches all the time about the plain broccoli, caulflower, brussel sprouts, etc. [/quote]

I usually toss steamed brussel sprouts with garlic salt, garlic powder, and a tablespoon or so of butter. Good eats.

Broccoli often gets lemon juice and fresh black pepper.

I don’t remember the last time I had cooked cauliflower, but I keep meaning to try it mashed. It’s supposed to be a great mashed potato substitute. I’m sure you can find recipes for that (try www.FoodNetwork.com).

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
I don’t remember the last time I had cooked cauliflower, but I keep meaning to try it mashed. It’s supposed to be a great mashed potato substitute. I’m sure you can find recipes for that (try www.FoodNetwork.com).[/quote]

There’s a mock mashed potatoes recipe in Precision Nutrition that uses cauliflower. I’ve made it a few times and I really like it. The first time I made it, I used WAY too much garlic. It was almost painful to eat.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:
I don’t remember the last time I had cooked cauliflower, but I keep meaning to try it mashed. It’s supposed to be a great mashed potato substitute. I’m sure you can find recipes for that (try www.FoodNetwork.com).

There’s a mock mashed potatoes recipe in Precision Nutrition that uses cauliflower. I’ve made it a few times and I really like it. The first time I made it, I used WAY too much garlic. It was almost painful to eat.[/quote]

Ha, is there such thing as too much garlic? I’m actually headed to a garlic festival this weekend. Pickled garlic, garlic ice cream (yes, I will indulge), etc. Hopefully I’ll pick up some new recipes and uses.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:

There’s a mock mashed potatoes recipe in Precision Nutrition that uses cauliflower. I’ve made it a few times and I really like it. The first time I made it, I used WAY too much garlic. It was almost painful to eat.[/quote]

Yeah, I made mashed cauliflower a few months ago–not the PN recipe, but how different could it be; it’s mashed cauliflower. I also used an assload of garlic, but really I love garlic. I even put it in my coffee.

[quote]Itchy wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
Chris Colucci wrote:

There’s a mock mashed potatoes recipe in Precision Nutrition that uses cauliflower. I’ve made it a few times and I really like it. The first time I made it, I used WAY too much garlic. It was almost painful to eat.

Yeah, I made mashed cauliflower a few months ago–not the PN recipe, but how different could it be; it’s mashed cauliflower. I also used an assload of garlic, but really I love garlic. I even put it in my coffee.[/quote]

Yep, there’s not much to it. Cauliflower, garlic, butter.

The first time I put enough garlic in the mash that when you’d take a bite, it would cause you to squint and make your eyes water. I’d get that really intense tingling sensation in my sinuses. Admittedly, I’m not a huge garlic eater, so it might just be that my garlic tolerance is low. You’d probably would have loved it. :slight_smile:

You must really like garlic if you put it in your coffee. Seriously, are you putting me on? You really do that? I can’t imagine what garlic flavored coffee would taste like.

Mrs. Dash
Soy Sauce
Teriyaki Sauce
Smart Balance Spread
Thyme
Savory
Good ole Salt and Pepper

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Ha, is there such thing as too much garlic? [/quote]

Haha amen to that! I always triple or quadruple the amount of garlic that is called for in recipes. I once made a turkey for Thanksgiving that called for 12 heads of garlic (heads not cloves) to be stuffed into slits in the meat. I was in heaven.

A dollop of cream cheese or sour cream in spinach is heavenly.