Seasoning/Spices Suggestions

I need some suggestions for seasonings and spices. Anything used to use on chicken, shrimp, and steak will do.

My contribution: Lowery’s seasoning salt.

(This show how limited my selections are)

McCormick

look in the powdered gravy section.

There are crockpot ones, ground beef ones, etc.

My favorite is taco seasoning for ground beef in a skillet, or italian herb chicken for chicken in the crockpot.

the basics: sea salt, crushed black pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes

the extended version: cumin, tumeric, powdered cayenne pepper

for pre packaged seasonings, my favorites are montreal steak seasoning and old bay. also, french onion soup/dip mix works as an awesome seasoning packet for a pot roast.

Great posts!

I need more suggestions!

I swear, look for the “spicy taco seasoning” by mccormick. Check this out:

That seasoning + 1 pound ground beef, cooked
Bed of lettuce
some tomatoes
some onions
a little hot sauce
sour cream
shredded cheese

= deliciousness

I’ve been putting oregano on my chicken for some reason. It tastes like I sprinkled oregano on my chicken.

I don’t season shrimp as a rule. I like the natural flavor, and I often dip shrimp in sauces of various sorts.

For other meats I often stick to sea salt and pepper unless I am making a specific dish that calls for a specific seasoning.

On the occasions when I want something different but don’t have the time or resources to fix a fancier dish, I always lean on Chef Paul Prudhomme’s line of magic seasoning blends. I have four of his blends (meat, poultry, blackened redfish, and salmon) in my cupboard right now.

I’ve been using Sambal Oelek, a condiment made of chilli peppers, a lot lately.

Apart from that, Madras Hot Curry Powder. Not sure if you can get it where you live, though.

For the sake of variety, I like Tandoori Chicken as well. Ingredients:

Gotta go with Emeril’s Essence. Also Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper can do wonders for anything.

Check out the Weber brand seasonings they are awesome.

Kickin’ Chicken and Gourmet Burger are my favorites.

Cumin
Paprika
Trader Joe’s has a great blend called “Barbecue Grill and Broil”

Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy
I’m a big fan of the hot sauces made of peppers and vinegar (like tobasco or Tapatio)
Garlic Powder
Chili Powder
Cayenne Pepper (powdered)
Cumin
Salt
Pepper
Cinnamon
Dill Weed is good on white fish

You could also try your hand a marinades. Pretty easy: toss some olive oil, vinegar/beer/whatever in a bag with some of your favorite spices and onions/garlic (if you’re into that). Let it soak for a while. Grill/fry. Eat up.

I’m a huge fan of garlic. I tend to chop some up and throw that in whenever I make something.

Gotta have garlic!

On my chicken breasts, I use Black Pepper, Onion Powder, Cumin and Adobo. I place them in a pan with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and pimento seeds. Comes out great. I once added chipotle red pepper flakes and holy shit my entire house made my wince in pain. I couldn’t stop coughing.

[quote]–X-- wrote:
Gotta go with Emeril’s Essence. Also Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper can do wonders for anything.[/quote]

I second that. I also like all the Mrs. Dash variety with just a (literal) pinch of salt thrown in.

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
I’ve been using Sambal Oelek, a condiment made of chilli peppers, a lot lately.

Apart from that, Madras Hot Curry Powder. Not sure if you can get it where you live, though.

For the sake of variety, I like Tandoori Chicken as well. Ingredients:
Tandoor - Wikipedia [/quote]

+1 on all this, especially the Sambal (super hot, be careful!!!) and the curry powder. Also, check out these pre-made spice rubs:
http://www.madeinnapavalley.com/rubs-and-seasonings
They are absolutely awesome. They have sea salt in them, so you don’t have to add anything. Rub it on, grill, enjoy. The pork and lamb one is crazy good.

Edit: I forgot some good ones!
All this stuff is great:

Also, I use chipotle powder a bunch. Here’s a good easy dry rub for beef or pork BBQ (you can use a low sugar BBQ sauce after, but it doesn’t really need it):
About equal parts sea salt, chipotle powder, cumin, and oregano (fresh is best). Mix it up, rub it on, grill (even better if you have some wood chips going for smoke).

can anyone recommend a good garlic-free seasoning with salt or without ? i have a noticable garlic allergy (rare i know) and it seems every salty seasoning and especially salt-free seasonings have dehydrated garlic somewhere on the label

For ground beef and eggs, I have two words for you: Bacon Salt!