Season 2 Of 'Walking Dead'

[quote]reddog6376 wrote:

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
I thought Walking Dead was utter gobshite. Weak characters doing stupid things, wrapped up in a weak plot.

Most disappointed. Recorded the whole series but only watched the first few all the way through. Fast forwarded after that.

BBB[/quote]

I agree. I watched just because it was a Zombie show, but was dissapointed.[/quote]

I think you guys are missing how significant it was for a zombie tv show to pull in the ratings it did at all. I would bet that had a hard time even getting on a network and even then were apparently expected to not even last past the first few episodes.

Look at Fringe (the tv show) and how it has changed drastically from it’s pilot episode.

For what it was, it was fucking brilliant for no other reason than it got the mainstream to accept it like it did. People who don’t watch zombie movies watched that.

I am guessing they will pull some better writers going forward because they have decent actors.

But yeah, I agree that there were some really shit episodes…like that Vatos ep. That sucked ballz like no other…and the lack of character development of the supporting cast sucked too.

But they did good enough for me to expect better next time…and if they fuck it up, it isn’t like people won’t let it be known.

Agreed the vatos episode was corny as fuck

Awww…those vatos were taking care of their abuelas!!

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]reddog6376 wrote:

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
I thought Walking Dead was utter gobshite. Weak characters doing stupid things, wrapped up in a weak plot.

Most disappointed. Recorded the whole series but only watched the first few all the way through. Fast forwarded after that.

BBB[/quote]

I agree. I watched just because it was a Zombie show, but was dissapointed.[/quote]

I think you guys are missing how significant it was for a zombie tv show to pull in the ratings it did at all. I would bet that had a hard time even getting on a network and even then were apparently expected to not even last past the first few episodes.

Look at Fringe (the tv show) and how it has changed drastically from it’s pilot episode.

For what it was, it was fucking brilliant for no other reason than it got the mainstream to accept it like it did. People who don’t watch zombie movies watched that.

I am guessing they will pull some better writers going forward because they have decent actors.

But yeah, I agree that there were some really shit episodes…like that Vatos ep. That sucked ballz like no other…and the lack of character development of the supporting cast sucked too.

But they did good enough for me to expect better next time…and if they fuck it up, it isn’t like people won’t let it be known.
[/quote]

In very many ways this whole show should be about character development. The comic certainly is, it is not about the Zombies per se but about peoples reaction to the breakdown of civilization and the constant threat.

Given how Game of Thrones even developes minor characters (at this point) quite well (I luvz the bald enuch) it obvously can be done.

My hope is that they realize how valuable “Earl” (or was is Merle?) is to that story. They needed a crazy fucker who is more dangerous than the zombies. The rest of the cast that survived from The Mist has the acting ability to make it great.

Shit like this always comes back to the writers. For instance, whoever decided that the Vatos ep should end with the “gang members” being lovable protectors of the old people on a nursing home apparently grew up on too many after school specials and should be shot for it.

Hell, The Lost writers could do way better than that and the fucked up the last season.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Starts on Halloween like last season, right?[/quote]
I’ve seen them talking about an Oct. 21 premiere. Hopefully the longer/full/13 episode season will help to flesh out all the side characters.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
While I love the classic dead movies, the ving rhames remake was the tits! Land of the dead not so much.[/quote]
Have you seen the Day of the Dead remake? It was definitely pretty good, considering it was straight-to-video. I mentioned it a while back in the “More Movies You’ve Watched” thread (about halfway down the page).
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/more_movies_youve_watched_this_week?id=3077539&pageNo=33

I also rank Diary of the Dead right up there with the original Night as one of the best in the “series.”

I just IMDB’d it, Mena Suvari and Nick Cannon? Hopefully Nick Cannon dies, the dead movies dont follow the usual horror formula of the black guy always dies first, so I may be dissapointed lol.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
I just IMDB’d it, Mena Suvari and Nick Cannon? Hopefully Nick Cannon dies, the dead movies dont follow the usual horror formula of the black guy always dies first, so I may be dissapointed lol.[/quote]

Nick cannon sucks.

Yeah, I said it. His acting was bad in that movie…but the overall premise is “watchable”
…but it is not one of the best. Ving Rhames gets killed early on…which makes no sense.

How the fuck does Ving die early and Cannon live on (Im assuming he does)

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Starts on Halloween like last season, right?[/quote]
I’ve seen them talking about an Oct. 21 premiere. Hopefully the longer/full/13 episode season will help to flesh out all the side characters.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
While I love the classic dead movies, the ving rhames remake was the tits! Land of the dead not so much.[/quote]
Have you seen the Day of the Dead remake? It was definitely pretty good, considering it was straight-to-video. I mentioned it a while back in the “More Movies You’ve Watched” thread (about halfway down the page).
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/more_movies_youve_watched_this_week?id=3077539&pageNo=33

I also rank Diary of the Dead right up there with the original Night as one of the best in the “series.”[/quote]

Thanks. I’ve seen the Day of the Dead remake. It was pretty damn good, and as goofy as Nick Cannon is he actually did a decent job. It’s still hard to take him seriously as a tough guy though.

…but the overall premise is “watchable”
…but it is not one of the best. Ving Rhames gets killed early on…which makes no sense.[/quote]
Eh, spoilers aside, I was surprised when he died. But Zombie Ving was a cool sight to see.

And just to bring things back to the Waking Dead for a sec, above is the another picture from the upcoming season.

There’s also talk that Stephen King may write at least one episode, making for another King-Darabont combo, which could be wicked.

Zombie-sense…tingling. Someone must be talking shit about the Dawn of The Dead remake.

That just can’t be though…considering how FUCKING AWESOME that movie was.[/quote]

i’m sorry, Romero is a genius. I hate hollywood redoing films
Hollywood is bankrupt of ideas.

the motorcycle gang breaking into the mall, classic

Frank Darabont stepped down/resigned as writer and producer. Looks like Glen Mazzara, who’s worked on FX’s The Shield, is stepping in.

This is a pretty big bummer, since Darabont creates great content, but I guess we’ll see how it turns out. Things are still supposedly on track for an October season premiere.

The previous writing was NOT good enough to carry it forward.

Put this in Geek shit earlier but this is a good place to re-post.

Zombie-sense…tingling. Someone must be talking shit about the Dawn of The Dead remake.

That just can’t be though…considering how FUCKING AWESOME that movie was.[/quote]

Now that explains why I was hit with a sudden craving for popcorn earlier in this thread.

The previous writing was NOT good enough to carry it forward.[/quote]

Couldn’t disagree more. The writing [and acting obviously] created an air of suspense and surprise, and even when things got cheesy it never felt forced. Also, that 4+ minute preview looks super badass.

Everything after episode 3 was very disappointing to me. I’ve read the graphic novel up to Issue 84 though so I had issues with the different direction that they took the series in especially the CDC.

[quote]IronAbrams wrote:
Everything after episode 3 was very disappointing to me. I’ve read the graphic novel up to Issue 84 though so I had issues with the different direction that they took the series in especially the CDC.[/quote]

Agreed. GREAT concept…but if the writing had stayed like it was, they would have written themselves into a wall in less than one more season. The “Vatos” ep was pure shit. They by no means killed it, but a few more shows like that one and it would have.

They win because of the cast they chose (all really good actors) and the fact that you can do almost anything with an “end of the world” story. But they definitely better writers and I hope they have that now.

[quote]IronAbrams wrote:
Everything after episode 3 was very disappointing to me. I’ve read the graphic novel up to Issue 84 though so I had issues with the different direction that they took the series in especially the CDC.[/quote]

As someone who’s never read the comic, how far did they stray from the original story?