Search And Rescue School Help?

I am in the U.S. Navy and I recently got the chance to attend Search and rescue school. I will not be leaving till july time frame but I need to get more conditioned. My current 1 1/2 run time is 11:25. I am not a very good runner due to the lack of enjoying a run. I want to lower my time to at least 10 flat -10:20.

I also need to become more proficient in swimming. If there is anyone out there that knows of articles or has any advice please help. Thanks.

[quote]underoath813 wrote:
I am in the U.S. Navy and I recently got the chance to attend Search and rescue school. I will not be leaving till july time frame but I need to get more conditioned. My current 1 1/2 run time is 11:25. I am not a very good runner due to the lack of enjoying a run. I want to lower my time to at least 10 flat -10:20.

I also need to become more proficient in swimming. If there is anyone out there that knows of articles or has any advice please help. Thanks.[/quote]

Have you read Stew’s articles on military.com:

[quote]underoath813 wrote:
I also need to become more proficient in swimming. If there is anyone out there that knows of articles or has any advice please help. Thanks.[/quote]

This may sound like a wise-ass comment, but its not. Take swimming lessons. Or take A swimming lesson. Go to a place that has swimming instruction, ask for the best instructor, and let him critique and help your stroke.

It’d be like improving your squat VIA dave tate yelling and cursing at you with 500 lbs on your back. Well, sorta.

Anyway, good luck.

You need to practice these events on a daily basis. Periodizing swim and run lengths/intensity. Practice the events untill they become routine. If you start now, you will EASILY blow away your goals.

thats right the best thing you can do is run and swim. put some weight in a backpack and run. pushups, pull ups and situps the classic military thing.

Are you talking about Jacksonville Fla.? I went there when I was in the Navy and was sent home cause’I didnt have a current physical!Can you believe that. I also spent months preparing all just to get sent back to the ship. I was pissed!

I can’t stand long distance running either or swimming. If you get a motivated workout partner, maybe someone around you is going to the same place it would probably help out. Good luck.