Sean Connery: Bodybuilder

Perhaps I’m late to the party, but I never knew that Sean Connery was a Mr. Universe contestant in 1953!

His placing seems to be in contention, as many sites claim he took 3rd, but this link shows him not placing at all:

http://www.musclememory.com/show.php?c=Mr+Universe+-+NABBA&y=1953

Here’s a shot of Bill Pearl, the winner of the 1953 Mr. Universe. I think I’m going to go with the non-placement of Sean. Still is a neat fact, though.

[quote]Digital Chainsaw wrote:
Perhaps I’m late to the party, but I never knew that Sean Connery was a Mr. Universe contestant in 1953!

His placing seems to be in contention, as many sites claim he took 3rd, but this link shows him not placing at all:

http://www.musclememory.com/show.php?c=Mr+Universe+-+NABBA&y=1953[/quote]

Oh yeah, I knew a about that. I found it out when I had to do a feature obit on someone for Journalism.

It’s also a fact on the Sean Connery Fact Generator I never bothered to get rid of on my site (http://xnctoon.co.nr):

Sean Connery competed in the 1950 Mr. Universe. He walked on stage with his Bond Tuxedo on and said “I’m SEAN CONNERY HONKIES!” He was won every year, even though 1950 was the only year he showed up.

Yup, he competed. I read on an interview that he got in the competition because he was in good shape after the army, and he also said that he knew about training because of his military service.

A fun fact about the competition is that, according to him, some of the competitors had arms the size of his thighs. So he knew he was not going to win right from the start.

[quote]ramses wrote:
A fun fact about the competition is that, according to him, some of the competitors had arms the size of his thighs. So he knew he was not going to win right from the start.

[/quote]

In that case, this pic is more than likely not from the same contest. Neat none the less. (He’s in the tightie whities, in the center.)

But really guys, come on…how could he not have placed in the top 5? I don’t understand.

he looks weird with no hair on his chest compared to the bond movies

BUCK FUTTER!

The contest was NABBA, not IFBB…Don’t forget, Sean is a tall dude, impressive in person…I’d wager he went into other things rather than trying to put on proportional mass to his long limbed frame…If he had had bulked, he would have looked like Kevin Sorbo, who is similar in frame/height…

Sean was already starting to do bit parts, and doing this contest was partially a publicity stunt to get his persona out there for casting purposes and building a fan base in the U.K.(Things were different back then, the Beatles were relative unknowns at the time for example)…

Sean Connery is the shit.

yeah and fuck this new guy playing Bond what’s his name Daniel Graig or something - only one James Bond and his names Sean Connery

[quote]tman11472 wrote:
yeah and fuck this new guy playing Bond what’s his name Daniel Graig or something - only one James Bond and his names Sean Connery[/quote]
That guy is a punk little kissass, trying to curry favor with the Brit media whining like a bitch about “handgun violence” in the UK…OO7 uses firearms in defense of his country,[i] not to stick up a fish & chips shop! there is no moral equivalency, and the fact he can’t see the difference proves my point[/i]. With all the actors available to play that part, he’s the worst possible choice. They won’t be gettin’ my money, Hell the penguin cartoon movie is kickin’ their ass in box office so far, so I’m not the only one…

[quote]ramses wrote:
Yup, he competed. I read on an interview that he got in the competition because he was in good shape after the army, and he also said that he knew about training because of his military service.

[/quote]

He was actually in the Royal Navy.

That’s a very cool piece of information! Why was he so skinny in the Bond movies? He always looked like a typical skinny guy. I never would have guessed he was a lifter.

By today’s standards that first pic is pretty ordinary, but back in the 50’s he was jacked.

I don’t believe that he was a “lifter”. He was an athlete and in an elite unit in the service.

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
tman11472 wrote:
yeah and fuck this new guy playing Bond what’s his name Daniel Graig or something - only one James Bond and his names Sean Connery
That guy is a punk little kissass, trying to curry favor with the Brit media whining like a bitch about “handgun violence” in the UK…OO7 uses firearms in defense of his country,[i] not to stick up a fish & chips shop! there is no moral equivalency, and the fact he can’t see the difference proves my point[/i]. With all the actors available to play that part, he’s the worst possible choice. They won’t be gettin’ my money, Hell the penguin cartoon movie is kickin’ their ass in box office so far, so I’m not the only one…
[/quote]

Connery was/is an anti-gun douchebag.

He supported the UK Handgun Ban, he even recorded anti-gun propaganda adds.