T Nation

Seal Team Six...Again!

The same U.S. Navy SEAL unit that killed Osama bin Laden parachuted into Somalia under cover of darkness early Wednesday and crept up to an outdoor camp where an American woman and Danish man were being held hostage. Soon, nine kidnappers were dead and both hostages were freed.

President Barack Obama authorized the mission by SEAL Team 6 two days earlier, and minutes after he gave his State of the Union address to Congress he was on the phone with the American's father to tell him his daughter was safe.

These guys, and our whole Military, are amazing.

All of the Team got out without any injury.

Mufasa

9 people died for 2 people. Seems reasonable.

On the other hand, better they do these rescue operations than murder operations.

You've never been in the military, have you?

Your point?

Mufasa

If you had you would not make silly statements like one the above.

ST6 and the like are outliers. Everyone else is mediocre at best.

"Everyone" else is mediocre?

Now whose making silly statements?

Mufasa

The military is not something someone does because he has other options. Just go to a recruiting office and see for yourself; then drive to the other side of town where the rich people live and look for a recruiting office.

Besides this putting these people on a pedestal is just plain unhealthy.

That is damn awesome....those boys have some serious coconuts.

Don't let ol' LIFTY ruin the thread.....he would be the first one crying for mommy if the world operated the way he wanted it.

Maybe if the world were the way I wanted it my mommy would still be alive.

I'm as big of a critic of the present administration as anybody, but I have to give credit. This president has approved a couple daring missions with the bin Laden mission having potential international repercussions. I am thankful for the courage to do that.

Nice "Thread Kill" attempt, Lift.

People die. Parents die (I've lost one...)...hopefully, even though it's difficult...we move on.

This World is what what it is. Personally I would LOVE to live in a World that didn't require Militaries...but we don't.

Also; (paraphrasing): "The Warrior is the last to wish for War..."

ST6 would most likely be the first to tell us to not romanticize what they do or to put them on a pedestal.

They are what they are; they have an objective...and its kill or be killed...that's their job in this imperfect world.

If a loved one was being held by a bunch of murderers, thugs and perpetrators of Genocide; my hope is that maybe they could save them...and in doing so, I would congratulate them (like I've tried on this thread) for "a job well done..."

Mufasa

I am not trying to kill your thread.

If you want to masturbate over the military that is your right. By all means. Continue.

I think what mufasa is trying to say is that this is shining example of how our military should operate. When there is a war or we really need to go after someone this is how you do it. Go in, accomplish the goal, get out with as few unnecessary casualties as possible. Not these decade long, oppressive, expensive political missions. That spread out our power, our resources, open our borders and taint our reputation. It makes us look weak. People would be less likely to mess with us if we practiced " walk quietly but carry a big stick".

I believe there is one republican primary candidate that has that same argument. Not to police the world, but when there is a mission or war, you fight, win, leave. I just don't think he is the best at articulating that after he is asked a baiting question.

???

???

You are just looking at the wrong soldiers duuuuuude.....

Though I will admit that the American fascination with THE HEROES IN UNIFORM probably goes more in that direction.

Also, I am pretty sure that the original seal team died in a helicopter crash.

That pilot was, dare I say it, mediocre....

Outliers, dude, more like this.