3. slide PVC over the bar
  4. cover small gap with tape (optional)
  5. viola…rolling resistance deadlift

[quote]Bastard Guy wrote:
What bleeds once a month for four days?
[/quote]
Women.

Deadlifter’s shins.

My heart when I have to throw away those 0.1 of a banana because my diet plan calls for it.

[quote]
Bastard[/quote]

Bastard yourself.

I used to scrape my shins a lot, I then switched to sumo. I still do conventional for the first couple warmups, and I often bump knees on the way down. (I have started purposely thrusting the bar out, hitting it with the fleshy part of the quad so it won’t hit the kneecaps or shins.) When I get to the heavier weights, I switch to sumo, there’s no scraping nor bumping. I do usually wear sweats, but that’s just habbit from when I was going heavy with conventional. Last week I doubled 565 in shorts (sumo of course) the only scrapes were in my hands!

I am far from any expert in this as I consider myself a sophmore at best so to speak in the lifting world. But I do give my all and have had this problem. Re-examine your form. If this continues as it did with me then apply some common sense…as goofy as it looks when I have a scrape on my shins I use those shin pads that soccer players use and them I go to town.

MB

[quote]jgold wrote:
I used to scrape my shins a lot, I then switched to sumo. I still do conventional for the first couple warmups, and I often bump knees on the way down. (I have started purposely thrusting the bar out, hitting it with the fleshy part of the quad so it won’t hit the kneecaps or shins.) When I get to the heavier weights, I switch to sumo, there’s no scraping nor bumping. I do usually wear sweats, but that’s just habbit from when I was going heavy with conventional. Last week I doubled 565 in shorts (sumo of course) the only scrapes were in my hands![/quote]

Sounds like I’m doing sumo correctly. Do your arms drag along your legs when you pull sumo?

[quote]swivel wrote:
i usually catch the bar on my junk. would the 2l bottle help there also ?[/quote]

I find strange comfort in not being the only one.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
jgold wrote:
I used to scrape my shins a lot, I then switched to sumo. I still do conventional for the first couple warmups, and I often bump knees on the way down. (I have started purposely thrusting the bar out, hitting it with the fleshy part of the quad so it won’t hit the kneecaps or shins.) When I get to the heavier weights, I switch to sumo, there’s no scraping nor bumping. I do usually wear sweats, but that’s just habbit from when I was going heavy with conventional. Last week I doubled 565 in shorts (sumo of course) the only scrapes were in my hands!

Sounds like I’m doing sumo correctly. Do your arms drag along your legs when you pull sumo?
[/quote]

My arms touch the inside of my legs, but there’s little pressure there–I think. I have realy long arms & legs so I put my toes about an inch from the plates and my hands just outside the smooth part of the bar (don’t have to look down to get the hand placement right). So I might have more hand-to-foot space than you. It sounds like we’re doing it the same, but I’m no expert to say it’s right.

[quote]jgold wrote:
MikeTheBear wrote:
jgold wrote:

My arms touch the inside of my legs, but there’s little pressure there–I think. I have realy long arms & legs so I put my toes about an inch from the plates and my hands just outside the smooth part of the bar (don’t have to look down to get the hand placement right). So I might have more hand-to-foot space than you. It sounds like we’re doing it the same, but I’m no expert to say it’s right. [/quote]

I just looked at your profile and you’re listed at 6’6". I’m 5’8", so we have a bit of a height difference – that’s why you’re toes are an inch from the plates. However, it sounds like we have roughly the same limb proportions. My legs are just outside shoulder width, which is the same as my squat stance. My index and pinky fingers (I use a mixed grip) touch the smooth part of the bar. I also don’t feel much pressure with my arm to leg contact.