T Nation

Scuba in Cozumel

One week from today I will be in Cozumel for a week of diving. I am prepaid for 5 days of two tank a day diving and plan to hook up for a couple of night dives while there. I am a beginner, just got certified in fall and ain’t beeen “wet” since. I own my own equipment and am pretty excited about the trip. Anybody been? Suggestions , pointers, tips, as to diving there, eating, drinking etc? Thanx for any help dudes.

Never been diving Cozumel, but we try to get to Playa Del Carmen/Cancun as often as we can.

Drink bottled water - nothing out of the tap. As for food, that’s a crap shoot. Always eat fully cooked meats - No rare cuts. I always founder on lobster when we get down there.

The diving is great in Cozumel. A lot to see at all depths. Night diving is big. A lot of the outfitters run trips. If you have never done it you will love it.

Cozumel has a strong current. You literally go with the flow. They drop you in and the boat will follow at a distance and meet you a mile or so away. It’s that strong. The guides are reputable and meet standards you would find in the US. Very professional. Tell them this is your first dive since certified. They will keep an eye on you and help you getting suited up etc.

I’ll second what RJ said. The water will have you going from both ends. Stick with bottled water, canned soda and of course Tequila! Carlos and Charlies is a fun spot to check out. It has a big rope swing and lot’s of “shooter girls” with bandoleers of shot glasses and holsters filled with tequila!

One last tip. If you dive at night from a boat. Buy a whistle and a caylum light stick. Just in case you lose your flashlight. The lightstick will burn for 4-6 hrs. and the whistle will help them find you. Just spin the light stick around on the string. It’s a good marker. Obviously no Tequila till you get back from the dive.

Also Cozumel is one of the great destinations close to the US. If you like it, try the Cayman Islands next. Both are fantastic.

I’ll agree with what Hedo said but since you haven’t blown any bubbles since fall and you’re a beginner do yourself a favor and refresh your skills a little. Since you’re leaving in a week you probably don’t have time to go to your shop and get a refresher course. That’s OK. Spend a couple hours and reveiw your text, CDs, videos etc…from your class. Also do a few equipment assemblies and disassemblies. REVIEW, GO OVER and KNOW your tables/wheel/computer…whatever you will be using. Also, get DAN insurance. Accidents happen,(from a cut foot to DCS) it’s only $50-80 for a year and will cover any diving or non-diving accident as well as evacuation expenses that hopefully will not occur. That’s all I have for now.

[quote]duece wrote:
I’ll agree with what Hedo said but since you haven’t blown any bubbles since fall and you’re a beginner do yourself a favor and refresh your skills a little. Since you’re leaving in a week you probably don’t have time to go to your shop and get a refresher course. That’s OK. Spend a couple hours and reveiw your text, CDs, videos etc…from your class. Also do a few equipment assemblies and disassemblies. REVIEW, GO OVER and KNOW your tables/wheel/computer…whatever you will be using. Also, get DAN insurance. Accidents happen,(from a cut foot to DCS) it’s only $50-80 for a year and will cover any diving or non-diving accident as well as evacuation expenses that hopefully will not occur. That’s all I have for now.[/quote]

That DAN insurance is cheap and GOOD! Best investment you will ever make if you need it. Do it before you go.

That was one of the stops we made on a cruise little over a month ago. It’s soooo damn beautiful there!!

Personally - I don’t waste any mor time in the water than I absolutely have to.

I go to All-Inclusive resorts, and pay for my trip by drinking alcohol non-stop.

Good Times…

I agree with hedo. I have been to Cancun, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. All are beautiful. I recently returned form Cancun two weeks ago. I have not learned to scuba yet, but someday I will.

I agree that you should visit Carlos and Charlies. As far as getting ill, I have not had a problem. I usually start taking an OTC probiotic pill with lactobacillus which helps populate the intestine with good bacteria inorder to prevent diarrhea. You can purchase at any pharmacy or health store (GNC, Vitamin Wolrd, etc.).

Have a good trip.

I’m a Dive Master. Everything that’s been said is on the money. I haven’t made it there myself yet, but the instructor I worked with for awhile lived there and taught diving there. I’ve heard many stories. I would recommend a refresher in Cozumel if you can’t get one in before the vacation. If you decide to go that route, PM me and I’ll try to find out a good place to go. And the names of some good outfitters and dive points for that matter.