Screwtape Letters

I’ve been listening to these on youtube, what do other people think of them?

I like them plus C.S. Lewis is one of the best non-Catholic (I’d say he was Catholic in belief, but not in confirmation) writers I’ve ever read. A friend of mine did a book study on Mere Christianity that I recommend to anyone that is interested.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=site%3Ayimcatholic.blogspot.com%2F+C.S.+Lewis#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=site%3Ayimcatholic.blogspot.com%2F+Mere+Christianity&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=c06b0ba42b23e61a

Great book, very entertaining.

Excellent book. I think The Screwtape Letters is a great introduction to C.S. Lewis for Christians and non-Christians alike. They are highly accessible, highly entertaining, and contain an excellent message for anyone, regardless of your belief.

I also agree with you, Chris, that C.S. Lewis is one of the best non-Catholic authors for Catholics.

Mere Christianity is a wonderful introduction to apologetics, as well.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
Excellent book. I think The Screwtape Letters is a great introduction to C.S. Lewis for Christians and non-Christians alike. They are highly accessible, highly entertaining, and contain an excellent message for anyone, regardless of your belief.

I also agree with you, Chris, that C.S. Lewis is one of the best non-Catholic authors for Catholics.

Mere Christianity is a wonderful introduction to apologetics, as well. [/quote]

Quoted for emphasis on all points. Mere Christianity is a very UNphilosophical philosophical book. By that I mean that it is both accessible and well-reasoned, but without a lot of the superfluous BS or overly technical writing that many philosophical books contain. I would put his writing style close to that of a Christian version of Bertrand Russell in the readability regard. It reasons with conviction, and I love that in a writer.

I will also say that Screwtape Letters is a great book for both Christians and non-Christians. Great message, great writing. And I believe Mere Christianity to be a very good book on what true Christianity is supposed to look like, in addition to being an intro to apologetics. In my opinion that is probably its greatest strength, however I encourage everybody with an interest in the philosophy of religion to read it on a variety of grounds.

Very good book. I remember listening to a version read by John Cleese. It’s one of those books that really work as audio books. Why is this in PWI?

Makkun

^ I really liked mere christianity too, in fact I’ve been meaning to reread or re-listen to it.

I think that the screwtape book has had more of an affect on the way i think. Its discussion of the minutia of christian life and attitudes is extremely revealing

I enjoyed Screwtape Letters and Mere Christianity, but my personal favorite is a less well known allegorical gem, the Great Divorce.

[quote]forlife wrote:
I enjoyed Screwtape Letters and Mere Christianity, but my personal favorite is a less well known allegorical gem, the Great Divorce.[/quote]

I liked those but I prefered his problem of pain and a grief observed most.
If you read them in reverse order his assessment of the problem is even more pointed.

“Till We All Have Faces” is a really under appreciated work of his.