T Nation

screwed up bad..!

T-folk, give me sound advice and realistic please, don’t BS me around with stupid replies. But I am a professional boxer and have to loose 18Lbs in four months, the problem is that I only have about 12-13Lbs of fat on me. I thought I was retired at the age of 25 but now I need to get back in the ring and fight at 145lbs. I currently weigh 160Lbs. So, how should I start my training, and nutrition… My trainer and I so far will begin heavy weight training and with no post workout shake followed by long cardio (30min.) the followed by a small meal… well help with any advice possible. thanks

You have four months to lose 18lbs (12-13 of that being fat) to make weight? No problem. You should first check out renegadetraining.com for Coach Davies’ training recommendations for boxers. I betcha renegade rope training will help, but you’ve probablly already begun rope training - right? As for nutrition? Maybe also read the FAQ, but also Essential Berardi and The Diet Manifesto. These two articles will provide a good footing on the nutrition aspect.

You might consider the 5x5 training or Meltdown (do a search on T-Mag for the articles about these two programs). What you really need to do is pick up the cardio (which you've done) - but supplement long cardio with the jump rope. The sparring and heavy bag training will also help you cut down.

Well, it is not as bad as you might think. 18# in four months is not bad. That is less than 5 pounds a month. The trick will be to do this smartly. First, you will lose between 8 to 10 pounds in water weight during the first week or two. Keep this, in mind as I will get back to this later. Secondly, that now leaves you 12-13 pounds of fats to lose. So after, you first two weeks, shift to losing a pound a week foor the next 13 to 14 weeks. This should bring you in at 24 four pounds, under. Third, point, slow and carefully restore your muscle sugars. Any last minute adjustment can be with this water weight if it has be restored. You should also have time between the weight-in and the fight to further restore this valuable source of energy. Follow and adjust the Don’t Diet found on this web-site to meet the objectives outlined above.
Now the training: Follow the 5X5 plan three days a week, have your boxing training equal what you expect to face in the ring. 16 one minute rounds with one minute rest between. Make the rounds harder than the fight. If you normally, throw 20 punches around, throw 40. etc.
Don’t focus on the cardio to lose weight or burn fat, you diet and training will do that. Focus on fighting hard for the whole time and a couple of extra rounds.
Supplements should be something that will spare muscle loss while dieting.
Hope this helps.
Best of Luck.

Focus on strength based training. Nothing in a traditional hypertrophy rep range. Lots of sets, different exercises and lower rep ranges like 1-3. Stick with max effort and dynamic effort work.

Lots of cardio also is going to help. Stick with primarily high intensity and moderate intensity stuff. Obviously, you will have to lose a fair amount of muscle, but if competing at 145 is what you need to do, then I guess that is ok.

I would not avoid the post workout shake. Cut your calories later in the day or at least consume glutamine and BCAA's during and after your workout.

<Not sure if it would still be there for you so here it is. From “SayWhat??” www.ktboxing.com, Kostya Tszyu’s official site.>
"<Theory and blame on the death of Pedro Alcazar .
by Rich DiBona>

<Due to the odd circumstances surrounding the death of Pedro Alcazar earlier this week, I have taken it upon myself to investigate this matter. Alcazar gained a massive amount of weight in the hours before his fight. I was curious to find out if this could have anything to do with his untimely death. I spoke with a doctor who has immaculate credentials. He shocked me with his thoughts about what happened with Alcazar. I have since spoken with a number of others in the medical field and the boxing industry. They confirmed his conclusions. They all believe that Pedro Alcazar may have died due to the negligent work of his trainers!

HBO made an amazing statement preceding Alcazar’s match with Fernando Montiel. They said that after weighing in at 115 pounds, Alcazar came into the ring weighing 131. He had gained 16 pounds in a mere 26 hours. That is 14% of his original body weight.

For a comparison, imagine Roy Jones Jr. making his normal weight of 175 pounds and weighing 200 pounds by fight-time. Lennox Lewis weighed 249¼ pounds against Mike Tyson. If he gained 14% of his body weight the next day, he would have come in at over 284 pounds. Alcazar jumped 5 weight classes with the one-day weight gain. That is equivalent to Oscar De La Hoya or Fernando Vargas moving up to the heavyweight division in one days time.

I found this all very suspicious, so I looked further into the matter. I got in touch with a world renown doctor who formally was a professor at Harvard. He is board certified in 5 different specialties and is currently the Chief of Emergency Medical Services at a suburban Boston hospital seeing over 50,000 patients per year. He has written many books and is often flown to different parts of the world to give various speeches.

He was able to draw an immediate conclusion as to what had happened to Pedro Alcazar. The following is his theory:

He believes that Alcazar was severely dehydrated when he weighed in on Friday night. His normal weight was most likely a little less than the 131 pounds he weighed before the fight. As is common in boxing, it is likely that Alcazar was taking diuretics to lose weight. To achieve such dramatic results, he may have also been taking hormones. These methods force the boxer to urinate in order to lower their weight further. The body loses certain electrolytes when you do this, including potassium and sodium.

After Friday’s weigh-in, the trainer had to re-hydrate Alcazar’s body. The doctor believes that the trainers used “free water.” Free water is pure water that does not contain any other elements. Alcazar needed more than water. The trainers not only needed to re-hydrate Alcazar, but they had to make sure his electrolytes went up. They did not do this. Alcazar was severely in need of sodium. Pre-fight and post-fight tests from the Nevada doctors would most likely not pick this up. They do not normally check a fighter’s electrolyte count.

Alcazar was suffering from a case of Hyponatremia. The doctor who I spoke with said that the lack of sodium in Alcazar’s head is what caused the cerebral edema which killed him. This could have easily been averted by his trainers who should have known better. The trainers knew that he should not be fighting at 115 pounds to begin with. A body cannot keep going through the torture of constantly losing and regaining large amounts of weight. They put Alcazar’s life in jeopardy and he has paid the ultimate price.

The same thing happens in other professions. Football players and people in the armed forces often work their bodies too hard and fall into bouts of dehydration. They usually do not die because of educated trainers and military personnel. This problem is more likely to kill a boxer because the sport is weight dependent.

The doctor concluded his thoughts by plainly stating that Alcazar’s trainers are at fault. Alcazar was not oblivious to what was going on. He probably knew these methods were not healthy. He most likely did not know the potential consequences. Alcazar’s job is to fight. It is the trainer’s job to prepare the fighter and to take care of him.

The doctor has no doubts about his conclusions. I ran his theory by a number of people. They all said that the doctor’s claims are absolutely valid and they tend to agree with him.

This doctor I consulted has never seen Alcazar. He has never done a test on Alcazar. He does not have any of the pertinent medical data specific to Alcazar. His theory may be wrong. Unfortunately, people in the boxing and medical business believe he is right. They think that the trainers are at fault here.

Las Vegas recently decided to change their image. They began by voting against hosting the Lewis/Tyson championship match. They received much praise for doing so. I would like for this trend to continue. I have a reasonable request. To those with the authority in Las Vegas, PLEASE investigate this matter.

A young man is dead. A 26 year old in wonderful athletic condition dropped dead without warning. He has left a large family including 2 of his own children. Pedro Alcazar’s death at least deserves an investigation. Las Vegas, please show respect to this man and his family. This looks to have been a preventable death. Any sensible person knows this was not an isolated incident. It has happened before and it will occur again. It is time to do something about it.
Posted by: Kostya Fan,(15 Jul 2002 4:41:20AM)>"

when is the weigh in compared to the fight?i’ve read about several boxers cutting weight for the weighin and weighing over 10 pounds more at fight time. drop several pounds of fat realtively quickly and let your body get used to the lighter weight. don’t be doing too much cardio the week before the fight. you won’t recover. if your trainer doesn’t know much about dropping water weight, find some powerlifters. some are masters are dropping water weight before the competition and regaining the water afterwards.