T Nation

Screwed Again By Wal-Mart!

I bought 4lbs of ground turkey. I picked an amount that allowed me to separate it into equal 8oz pieces.

So as I’m weighing and bagging the meat, I get down to the last bit that I can make in to 2 more 8oz servings, cut off 8oz, and am left with 5 oz!

I re-measured the other meat that I already separated, and they were exactly 8oz.

3oz of meat may not sound like much, but for a large chain grocery store, they should get their measurments right.

I’ve also gotten meat from other places (as I will do from now on) and the measurments have been almost identicle to what was on the package.

I’ve got to find a local meat shop somewhere close by. I recently found a local place to get fruit and veggies, so I’m trying to boycot Walmart and other large grocery stores as much as possible. I’d rather give to my local community anyway.

Anyone else get screwed by the serving size of a grocery store’s meat?

You’re better off going to a whole foods market for meat and poultry, and - if you can afford it - all of your groceries. Most of the time, they weigh it right in front of you and charge you accordingly.

But you probably saved 25% of your grocery bill by shopping at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart doesn’t package their own meat, anyway. They stopped when the meat cutters wanted to unionize.

I boy-cott walmart also, they are trying to push local stores out of the picture. These stores have been here for years, and some of there owners are HUGE contributors to the community, which i stand by.
SCREW WALMART!

“Wal-Mart, what’s that? Do they, like, make walls there?”
[center]- Paris Hilton

3 copies of Time Cop for $18!

Wal-mart rules.

[quote]croak wrote:
3 copies of Time Cop for $18!

Wal-mart rules.[/quote]

Yes, they do. They help stock my DVD collection almost every other Tuesday.

Wal-mart is THE place to finish out a complete Jean Claude Van Damme movie collection.

Ding.

Ding.

Oh yeah… that’s what I need to be doing, buying some more movies for the collection! Thanks guys.

How would I ever survive without a wal-mart? Oh yeah, shop at the smaller, mom and pop stores that actually care about the business they get.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
How would I ever survive without a wal-mart? Oh yeah, shop at the smaller, mom and pop stores that actually care about the business they get.[/quote]

I’ve never really understood the negativity heaped on Wal-mart. They offer the same product at a lower price, through efficient distribution methods and bulk purchases. Local “mom and pop” stores do this to each other or atleast attempt to. It just occurs on a smaller scale. That is the nature of business.

My company puts competitors out of business every year. We try to optimize our basic services and pass the savings on to our clients. This causes our business to grow which allows us to further optimize the process, lower the cost, and make up the difference in “bulk” sales. While we don’t do this on the scale of Wal-mart, it is the same thing.

It would be nice if mom and pop could open a store in an area with a low population density that would be attractive to the entire surrounding population by carrying a diverse inventory and multiple lines of a variety of goods, but that just doesn’t seem to happen too often. The last guy that did that ended up starting a chain called Wal-Mart, and look what happened to him.

However, I do like the licensing agreements that Wal-Mart has been entering into with individual inventors to sell their products in their stores, first on a trial run, then if successfull, as an exclusive line. I just read in Enterpreneur about a lady that has done this, and her sales opened up at $750,000 for the first year and are projected to reach $1.5 mill for next year.

I guess thats Wal-Marts new strategy for screwing the little guy.

Dayum, Im’a gunna invent me sumtin’ called a Bushwacker, half da country will luv it. Wally? Wally, where in the sam hill did ya git to boy?

Oh yea? Well I have a time machine, and I’m gonna invent your bushwhacker last year. In fact I read this post 6 months ago when I went forward. Its already pending, so don’t even try.

[quote]mindeffer01 wrote:
Oh yea? Well I have a time machine, and I’m gonna invent your bushwhacker last year. In fact I read this post 6 months ago when I went forward. Its already pending, so don’t even try.
[/quote]

Yeah, hold on… I forgot to put in the crystals.

Ouch. I completely missed the Bush thing in my zeal to screw you. I should have seen that comming.
Then again, maybee I had to do that to maintain the continuity of time and space.

Wal-Mart has it’s good and bad points.

Would you rather be gouged by a local merchant?

Things change. Get over it.

I am all for low prices but I think what we SHOULD be worried about is what happens when all the “moms and pops” stores get run out of business and Wal Mart is the only one left standing? While the law, if I understand it correctly, doesn’t allow a monopoly nation-wide, locally Wal Mart can still be construed as a monopoly and imagine what they can do with their prices? Moms and pops are good in the sense that if there are enough of them, they tend to compete with each other and drive down the prices a bit while maintaining high quality (generalization but you get my point).

[quote]croak wrote:
I’ve never really understood the negativity heaped on Wal-mart. They offer the same product at a lower price, through efficient distribution methods and bulk purchases. Local “mom and pop” stores do this to each other or atleast attempt to. It just occurs on a smaller scale. That is the nature of business.

My company puts competitors out of business every year. We try to optimize our basic services and pass the savings on to our clients. This causes our business to grow which allows us to further optimize the process, lower the cost, and make up the difference in “bulk” sales. While we don’t do this on the scale of Wal-mart, it is the same thing.
[/quote]
I have nothing against Wal-Mart, however, I don’t like the fact that they put up their stores in cities that already have mom and pop stores competeing with each other.

I have three or four places that I can go in my neighborhood for some of the stuff I need on a weekly basis (I live in a city and not a small town or suburb). The competition is very health for this community. Wal-mart came in about 16 months to the other end of the city–ie the less affluent neighborhood so I don’t feel put off by it. I do question the smaller businesses in that neighborhood and wonder how they manage.

Other than that I don’t need the ability to buy Van Damme movies in three packs for $18.99 any time of the day I choose. Not to mention they are ugly and ruin the character of older cities.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Other than that I don’t need the ability to buy Van Damme movies in three packs for $18.99 any time of the day I choose. Not to mention they are ugly and ruin the character of older cities.[/quote]

But I bought a XXXL Starter shirt with “moisture wicking technology” for only $9.89 last night that I cut the sleeves off and plan to wear tonight in the gym. Sahara comes out on DVD next Tuesday for about 14 bucks at midnight, and where else can I get that body wash that has a fresh scent that lasts for 8 hours for only $3.49? Ugly? I’ll buy that for a dollar.