T Nation

Screw the U.K.

The British government decided it was â??in the overwhelming interests of the United Kingdomâ?? to make Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, the Lockerbie bomber, eligible for return to Libya, leaked ministerial letters reveal.

Gordon Brownâ??s government made the decision after discussions between Libya and BP over a multi-million-pound oil exploration deal had hit difficulties. These were resolved soon afterwards.

The letters were sent two years ago by Jack Straw, the justice secretary, to Kenny MacAskill, his counterpart in Scotland, who has been widely critizised for taking the formal decision to permit Megrahiâ??s release.

The correspondence makes it plain that the key decision to include Megrahi in a deal with Libya to allow prisoners to return home was, in fact, taken in London for British national interests.

Edward Davey, the Liberal Democrat foreign affairs spokesman, said, â??This is the strongest evidence yet that the British government has been involved for a long time in talks over al-Megrahi in which commercial considerations have been central to their thinking.â??

Two letters dated five months apart show that Straw initially intended to exclude Megrahi from a prisoner transfer agreement with Colonel Muammar al-Qaddafi, under which British and Libyan prisoners could serve out their sentences in their home country.

In a letter dated July 26, 2007, Straw said he favoured an option to leave out Megrahi by stipulating that any prisoners convicted before a specified date would not be considered for transfer.

Downing Street had also said Megrahi would not be included under the agreement.

Straw then switched his position as Libya used its deal with BP as a bargaining chip to insist the Lockerbie bomber was included.

The exploration deal for oil and gas, potentially worth over $24 billion, was announced in May 2007. Six months later the agreement was still waiting to be ratified.

On December 19, 2007, Straw wrote to MacAskill announcing that the U.K. government was abandoning its attempt to exclude Megrahi from the prisoner transfer agreement, citing the national interest.

In a letter leaked by a Whitehall source, he wrote: â??I had previously accepted the importance of the al-Megrahi issue to Scotland and said I would try to get an exclusion for him on the face of the agreement. I have not been able to secure an explicit exclusion.

…the UK is being pragmatic. The recession hit them hard, and to blow a deal like this over one guy is simply bad business. What did you expect John, that they would give priority to the feelings of american [and Scottish] families over the running of their nation?

[quote]ephrem wrote:
…the UK is being pragmatic. The recession hit them hard, and to blow a deal like this over one guy is simply bad business. What did you expect John, that they would give priority to the feelings of american [and Scottish] families over the running of their nation?[/quote]

All I am saying is I am done with the U.K.

They have shown themselves to be cowards and back stabbers. I wish nothing but the worse for them. I will boycott anything that comes out of the U.K., they can all go choke on a dick and die.

America needs to separate themselves from the U.K., I was able to talk to a few people today about this, and pretty much everyone I talked to said they are going to boycott the U.K.

If any of those cock suckers show up on our soil they should be shot. Fuck the rest of the world, we help them and they fuck us over. Its time to return to the mind set that America is number 1 and fuck the rest of the world.

…well okay then, good luck and all the best!

[quote]John S. wrote:
ephrem wrote:
…the UK is being pragmatic. The recession hit them hard, and to blow a deal like this over one guy is simply bad business. What did you expect John, that they would give priority to the feelings of american [and Scottish] families over the running of their nation?

[/quote]

Yeah the UK is a cesspool.

[quote]John S. wrote:
Fuck the rest of the world, we help them and they fuck us over. Its time to return to the mind set that America is number 1 and fuck the rest of the world.[/quote]

Hey fuck you; Australia is still friendly :wink:

[quote]John S. wrote:
ephrem wrote:

They have shown themselves to be cowards and back stabbers. I wish nothing but the worse for them. I will boycott anything that comes out of the U.K., they can all go choke on a dick and die.

America needs to separate themselves from the U.K., I was able to talk to a few people today about this, and pretty much everyone I talked to said they are going to boycott the U.K.

If any of those cock suckers show up on our soil they should be shot. Fuck the rest of the world, we help them and they fuck us over. Its time to return to the mind set that America is number 1 and fuck the rest of the world.[/quote]

Fucking LOL.

Yeah man, fuck those poms. Fuck ALL foreigners man.

He’ll be dead in a few months anyway it’s fairly usual to release people who are about to die over here.

We were one of the only countries prepared to fight a war alongside you not so long ago. Maybe you should remember that. You guys don’t exactly have a lot of friends in this world as it is.

[quote]lou21 wrote:
We were one of the only countries prepared to fight a war alongside you not so long ago. Maybe you should remember that. You guys don’t exactly have a lot of friends in this world as it is.[/quote]

Don’t confuse Blair’s position with the opinion of the Brit majority.

http://www.icmresearch.co.uk/pdfs/2006_july_guardian_july_poll.pdf
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2747175.stm

[quote]lixy wrote:
lou21 wrote:
We were one of the only countries prepared to fight a war alongside you not so long ago. Maybe you should remember that. You guys don’t exactly have a lot of friends in this world as it is.

Don’t confuse Blair’s position with the opinion of the Brit majority.

http://www.icmresearch.co.uk/pdfs/2006_july_guardian_july_poll.pdf
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2747175.stm
[/quote]

I’m British. I am and always was against the war (and could if this were not the internet provide witnesses to agree that has always been my possition). HOWEVER there was at the time of invasion a clear majority in favour of the war. Blair was re elected afterwards and after the lies had been exposed as… Many people like to say they were always against it but are lying.

Nevermind that the point is we are still an American ally and one of the few that will actually help them out. But we always get a screw you guys attitude back from them. It gets really boring and I wonder how long we’ll keep the same position. Maybe it’s time we got involved in the whole Europe thing a bit more.

I assume you’re boycotting US products too, since we invaded Iraq for oil.

[quote]Unaware wrote:

[/quote]

Is this myth still going around?

[quote]John S. wrote:
Unaware wrote:

Is this myth still going around?[/quote]

Whats the difference between that story and this one?

Even if its true, I don’t see what your problem is. You go around with your “America first! Fuck everyone else” attitude but you have a problem when some other country does. I hope this story is true, otherwise they gave him up for no reason.

[quote]Unaware wrote:
John S. wrote:
Unaware wrote:

Even if its true, I don’t see what your problem is. You go around with your “America first! Fuck everyone else” attitude but you have a problem when some other country does. I hope this story is true, otherwise they gave him up for no reason.[/quote]

If the situations where reversed, I would never support releasing him. Then again if the situations where reversed this guy wouldn’t be breathing right now.

[quote]John S. wrote:
Unaware wrote:
John S. wrote:
Unaware wrote:

Even if its true, I don’t see what your problem is. You go around with your “America first! Fuck everyone else” attitude but you have a problem when some other country does. I hope this story is true, otherwise they gave him up for no reason.

If the situations where reversed, I would never support releasing him. Then again if the situations where reversed this guy wouldn’t be breathing right now.[/quote]

And I think you will find the majority of British people don’t support releasing him either. However, you are outraged at them because their government chose to leverage a situation in the national interest.

For the record I do not agree with his release, I only posted on the irony of an American chastising another government for putting its national interest above some other people.

[quote]Unaware wrote:
John S. wrote:
Unaware wrote:
John S. wrote:
Unaware wrote:

If the situations where reversed, I would never support releasing him. Then again if the situations where reversed this guy wouldn’t be breathing right now.

And I think you will find the majority of British people don’t support releasing him either. However, you are outraged at them because their government chose to leverage a situation in the national interest.

For the record I do not agree with his release, I only posted on the irony of an American chastising another government for putting its national interest above some other people.
[/quote]

There is putting your nations interest first, then there is this. There are some things you just don’t do and this is one of them.

[quote]Unaware wrote:
I assume you’re boycotting US products too, since we invaded Iraq for oil. [/quote]

Shut up!

It was about Iraqi Freedom™.

This is just another example of just how sleazy the British government really is. Politicians from all of the UK’ mainstream parties are whores who are completely owned by big business.

There is no way that releasing a mass murderer who killed 270 people is in the national interest no matter how much money is involved. Britain is a whore.

…supporting a dictator who gassed an entire village is not sleazy at all, is it?

He’ll die soon anyway. And the fools where he came from can treat his illness. It’ll save the NHS a little money and they reckon 30-50 people would have been needed full time to guard him. Don’t you guys know that the British government are trying to cut costs at the moment? And they certainly won’t be cutting their own wages to achieve efficiency.

It makes everyone i’ve spoken to about it fucking sick as well mate, me included. He should have died in prison, even that was too good for him.

Don’t condem a whole country on the decisions of a stupid soon to voted out of power government. I don’t like certain American polices, i don’t tar everyone of them with the same brush and hate them all.