Scraped Up Shins

What measures do you guys take to stop scraping the bar against your shins while dead-lifting? I’ve started wearing long sweatpants, but occasionally I still get scraped. Can’t be healthy opening a wound on your leg all the time while dead lifting with a bar that’s probably got more bacteria on it than a toilet seat; although, I’ve been doing it this way for a long time, and haven’t run into any problems, it just dawned on me that it doesn’t seem to make much sense.

TAKE IT LIKE A MAN

I had the same problem and it seemed to just go away after awhile. It took a year or more, however. I don’t know if it was a correction in form, or just practice (pain-response). Holding the bar closer to your legs on the lift seems to help.

You’re not doing it right unless you’re bleeding at the end of a deadlifting session.

lol, you can deadlift without making your shins bleed

just wear windpants or something

I haven’t tried this, but I’ve heard you can use baby powder or something similar on your legs. (Although, when you use baby and DL in the same sentence I think I might stick with the cuts).

Use it to get angry! Then put iodine over it right after to get ANGRIER!!!

I would say your shoulders are coming up faster than your hips, pulling the bar into your shin. As you pull think about straightening your knees and lifting your chest. Sometimes that cue will get the bar off your shins without getting your hips too high…

I started doing stiff legged deadlifts instead, no more bruised up shins for me.

[quote]jldume wrote:
I started doing stiff legged deadlifts instead, no more bruised up shins for me.[/quote]

maybe you should have done the baby powder instead

Dint know there was anything wrong with stiff legged deadlifts…but personally I feel it hits my hammies more than the traditional way.

[quote]jldume wrote:
Dint know there was anything wrong with stiff legged deadlifts…but personally I feel it hits my hammies more than the traditional way.[/quote]

lol yeah i was joking… traditional is more lower back usually, sometimes I’ll do SLDL on leg day

BLOOD ON THE BAR!

So rare these days.

[quote]Null wrote:
BLOOD ON THE BAR!

So rare these days.[/quote]

As I was leaving the gym today one of my buddies came out with a bloody leg from the DL, except he asked for a band aid and that’s when the owner asked if he wanted a new diaper too haha. Didn’t go back with a band aid on at least!

Am I the only that never can remember the act of scraping my shins with the bar? I never ever notice it while lifting, or basically until I’m done lifting, and I’m like “well shit! when did that happen?!”

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Am I the only that never can remember the act of scraping my shins with the bar? I never ever notice it while lifting, or basically until I’m done lifting, and I’m like “well shit! when did that happen?!”[/quote]

I’m exactly the same. I’ll finish and have the weight all put away then some one will let me know that I have some blood down my shins.

To the poster above who said you don’t have to bleed during deadlifts: I know that, I was only joking. It’s just something that comes with deadlifting and it will happen every now and then.

[quote]The Rattler wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Am I the only that never can remember the act of scraping my shins with the bar? I never ever notice it while lifting, or basically until I’m done lifting, and I’m like “well shit! when did that happen?!”[/quote]

I’m exactly the same. I’ll finish and have the weight all put away then some one will let me know that I have some blood down my shins.
[/quote]

The first session I hit the spot I’m the same way, but if I knock the same spot two or three weeks in a row I sure notice it during the set…just paying dues!

I have two scars all the way along my shins. I’ve been using the same bar at the gym for about a decade…I’d rather not get rust/germs in my shins so I’m going to wear soccer socks + sweatpants every time I deadlift now. I’ve seen people use shin guards on youtube vids but that seems a bit much.

I think a lot of us enjoy getting the cuts though hahaha. I’ll confess my main reason for not wanting the cuts anymore are the comments from my parents/friends.