T Nation

SCOTUS Takes Up Gay Marriage

[quote]H factor wrote:
Also it’s an inevitable thing that is happening. That much is completely obvious. You still have people arguing against women’s suffrage and you will always have people arguing about gay marriage. The debate may never end for a vocal minority, but make no mistake it will be the minority. Public opinion polls show the support. The people who are vehemently against it are dying off. The younger generations absolutely don’t give a shit. They are over it. We can argue about it till we’re blue in the face, but it’s happening. Not now maybe, not tomorrow, but it’s coming. And somehow, I think we will survive.

3/4 of 18-29 year olds support it. The freaking President supported it and still won. The battle is over. [/quote]

If it was legal (which it will be one day) I’ve yet to see a good argument on why it should be made illegal. The best arguments against gay marriage becoming law are pretty much “its unimportant and we should focus on other things” but that also works the other direction if the situation was reversed.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:
Also it’s an inevitable thing that is happening. That much is completely obvious. You still have people arguing against women’s suffrage and you will always have people arguing about gay marriage. The debate may never end for a vocal minority, but make no mistake it will be the minority. Public opinion polls show the support. The people who are vehemently against it are dying off. The younger generations absolutely don’t give a shit. They are over it. We can argue about it till we’re blue in the face, but it’s happening. Not now maybe, not tomorrow, but it’s coming. And somehow, I think we will survive.

3/4 of 18-29 year olds support it. The freaking President supported it and still won. The battle is over. [/quote]

If it was legal (which it will be one day) I’ve yet to see a good argument on why it should be made illegal. The best arguments against gay marriage becoming law are pretty much “its unimportant and we should focus on other things” but that also works the other direction if the situation was reversed.[/quote]

It won’t be made illegal. There won’t be support against it again that changes the law. This isn’t something like Roe V. Wade where public opinion is really dicey and you could fathom it being changed one day. This will be something that happens. Is bitched about by many, championed by many, and then we will all move on. Even the young people in conservative states don’t care.

It’s simply a matter of numbers. Public opinion polls are sharply going in favor. Breaking it down by age shows the younger generations overwhelmingly supporting in comparison to the population that is slowly dying off.

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

If it was legal (which it will be one day) I’ve yet to see a good argument on why it should be made illegal. The best arguments against gay marriage becoming law are pretty much “its unimportant and we should focus on other things” but that also works the other direction if the situation was reversed.[/quote]

It won’t be made illegal. There won’t be support against it again that changes the law. This isn’t something like Roe V. Wade where public opinion is really dicey and you could fathom it being changed one day. This will be something that happens. Is bitched about by many, championed by many, and then we will all move on. Even the young people in conservative states don’t care.

It’s simply a matter of numbers. Public opinion polls are sharply going in favor. Breaking it down by age shows the younger generations overwhelmingly supporting in comparison to the population that is slowly dying off. [/quote]

I know, my point was that in the future when its legal, the few arguments against it will be even weaker even when made by the same people who are against it today. Not really considering younger people or future generations, it will just be a non-issue at that point.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

It’s simply a matter of numbers. Public opinion polls are sharply going in favor. Breaking it down by age shows the younger generations overwhelmingly supporting in comparison to the population that is slowly dying off. [/quote]

I know, my point was that in the future when its legal, the few arguments against it will be even weaker even when made by the same people who are against it today. Not really considering younger people or future generations, it will just be a non-issue at that point.[/quote]

You mean when the world doesn’t automatically explode the day gays are allowed to marry?