Scott Walker: Finally...

Well…it looks like Walker has finally officially entered the race.

Early Polls had him as a frontrunner (prior to it becoming a field of 15 at last count).

What will be interesting is how he comes out in the Polls over the next few weeks. With Bush and Trump now leading (with the latter STILL having me scratching my head); where Walker ends up should be interesting.

Some questions for PWI:

1. Your thoughts on Walker? (For me, he has not clearly articulated his views; so it’s hard to say).

2. Do you think he will end up among the top 5?

3. How do you think he stacks up against Rubio?

All in all…I think he will shake things up a bit as many of these 15 or so fall by the wayside.

We’ll see.

What say 'ye?

Mufasa

I think like you said, it will come down to articulation of ideas and vision, and he will be judged quickly and will not get any do-overs. He’s got to take his successes at the state level and translate them into his vision on a national scale.

When he has talked prior, he didn’t appear to be ready for prime-time.

If we have learned anything from the past 7 years, it’s that we will need someone to step in to the international field with some gravitas. Walker may have accomplished a lot as a governor, and I like governors alot generally, but he can only travel so far as Wisconsin’s local do-gooder. He doesn’t have to necessarily have to have foreign policy experience, but he’s got to sound ready to step in immediately and start handling messes with Iran, China, etc.

I think his timing is good, though - he gets to immediately be Trump’s foil. That will be to his advantage.

Some sponsoring the Debates (I think FOX was the main one); have indicated that only the top 10? (in select Polls) would be put on the main stage, and that those below the Top Tier will be in sort of a secondary debate.

So I certainly agree that Walker is going top have to come out fast and strong…and maintain what ever momentum he may gain.

Any thoughts on how he may fair against Rubio?

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Some sponsoring the Debates (I think FOX was the main one); have indicated that only the top 10? (in select Polls) would be put on the main stage, and that those below the Top Tier will be in sort of a secondary debate.

So I certainly agree that Walker is going top have to come out fast and strong…and maintain what ever momentum he may gain.

Mufasa[/quote]

Fox is doing a town hall prior to the debate for GOP candidates that don’t make the cut.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

If the Breitbart poll is a reflection of primary voters, Walker is already looking good. He was #2 before he even announced his candidacy. Rubio however has been in a constant down slide since the TPP fast track.

Again, it’s just a poll, but Walker should easily be in the top ten for the debate.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

I think he does well against Rubio. If I’m Walker, I say “look, I’ve governed. I balanced budgets. I made tough choices. I survived voter recalls - I’ve defended my work. I had to work with a legislature that had members who didn’t always agree with me. I got reforms done, written into law. Rubio? He’s Obama. A junior Senator with an undistinguished record. Little accomplishment. Sure, he’s on the right, but if we learned anything from the past 7 years, it’s that we don’t need some greenhorn Senator getting on the job training in the Oval Office. Maybe consider Rubio eight years from now, after my administation is done reforming the US like we did Wisconsin, when maybe Rubio will be ready. Maybe.”

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

I think he does well against Rubio. If I’m Walker, I say “look, I’ve governed. I balanced budgets. I made tough choices. I survived voter recalls - I’ve defended my work. I had to work with a legislature that had members who didn’t always agree with me. I got reforms done, written into law. Rubio? He’s Obama. A junior Senator with an undistinguished record. Little accomplishment. Sure, he’s on the right, but if we learned anything from the past 7 years, it’s that we don’t need some greenhorn Senator getting on the job training in the Oval Office. Maybe consider Rubio eight years from now, after my administation is done reforming the US like we did Wisconsin, when maybe Rubio will be ready. Maybe.”[/quote]

Good post.

I’m not particularly fond of our recent “let’s have a senator for POTUS” push. Before Obama, was’t there only like 2 or 3?

I think Walker is a little “cooler under Fire” (Lord KNOWS he was in the cross-hairs when taking on the Unions and during his recall).

We’ve touched on it a little before; Rubio can get a little “off his game” when challenged.

We’ll see.

Mufasa

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

I think he does well against Rubio. If I’m Walker, I say “look, I’ve governed. I balanced budgets. I made tough choices. I survived voter recalls - I’ve defended my work. I had to work with a legislature that had members who didn’t always agree with me. I got reforms done, written into law. Rubio? He’s Obama. A junior Senator with an undistinguished record. Little accomplishment. Sure, he’s on the right, but if we learned anything from the past 7 years, it’s that we don’t need some greenhorn Senator getting on the job training in the Oval Office. Maybe consider Rubio eight years from now, after my administation is done reforming the US like we did Wisconsin, when maybe Rubio will be ready. Maybe.”[/quote]

Good post.

I’m not particularly fond of our recent “let’s have a senator for POTUS” push. Before Obama, was’t there only like 2 or 3?[/quote]

Sixteen have served as president, and three have gone directly from the Senate to the White House: Obama, Kennedy, and Warren G. Harding.

I’m not a huge fan of that approach for a number of reasons, but I can’t think of any reason to put a first-term Senator into the Presidency. Perhaps if the person was an older Senator after having other experience, that might be an exception - but young, inexperienced, and in a first term? Bad decision, regardless of party.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

I think this plays extremely well, as long as his articulation comes off polished and not snarky. Frankly, that’s what I look for as well: Rubio gets Florida, sure ok. And he’s got the young look and charisma. But bottom line is that he is inexperienced in decision making.

Walker is top 10 easily. I still cannot understand how the hell Trump is in the top 5 let alone 2. Thank goodness early polls are largely worthless. But as tbolt said, foiling the Donald (in both senses) is a great timely move for Walker. Next to Trump, almost anybody except for Carson and Huckabee comes off as pleasantly sane and polished.

Walker has experience with hard state politics, which is good training for the shark pit of national politics. However, it’s still the kiddie pool, even though he defended a recall vote successfully. He hasn’t dealt with the media smelling blood yet. Or the full might of the democratic machine.

Aragorn brings up a good point.

Neither Political Machine (DEMS or GOP) have been unleased.

I don’t think that even Bush or Clinton are burning through a lot of cash this far out.

Mufasa

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

I think this plays extremely well, as long as his articulation comes off polished and not snarky. Frankly, that’s what I look for as well: Rubio gets Florida, sure ok. And he’s got the young look and charisma. But bottom line is that he is inexperienced in decision making.

Walker is top 10 easily. I still cannot understand how the hell Trump is in the top 5 let alone 2. Thank goodness early polls are largely worthless. But as tbolt said, foiling the Donald (in both senses) is a great timely move for Walker. Next to Trump, almost anybody except for Carson and Huckabee comes off as pleasantly sane and polished.

Walker has experience with hard state politics, which is good training for the shark pit of national politics. However, it’s still the kiddie pool, even though he defended a recall vote successfully. He hasn’t dealt with the media smelling blood yet. Or the full might of the democratic machine.[/quote]

Trump is going to do something we have never seen in our lifetime, which is truly call out candidates from both parties in a way that we would see here on TN.

Because Trump truly does not give a flying fuck, does not back down to criticism or accusations of anything shameful, we are going to see him dish out the political chin-check of epic proportions.

I think people are truly sick and tired of the safe and calculated answers to bullshit softball questions that should never be asked in the first place.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Aragorn brings up a good point.

Neither Political Machine (DEMS or GOP) have been unleased.

I don’t think that even Bush or Clinton are burning through a lot of cash this far out.

Mufasa[/quote]

You can LEASE them??! Where do I sign up? Do they take souls, or only cash?? I need a PR campaign for tenure…

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Mufasa[/quote]

Walker has experience with hard state politics, which is good training for the shark pit of national politics. However, it’s still the kiddie pool, even though he defended a recall vote successfully. He hasn’t dealt with the media smelling blood yet. Or the full might of the democratic machine.[/quote]

Trump is going to do something we have never seen in our lifetime, which is truly call out candidates from both parties in a way that we would see here on TN.

Because Trump truly does not give a flying fuck, does not back down to criticism or accusations of anything shameful, we are going to see him dish out the political chin-check of epic proportions.

I think people are truly sick and tired of the safe and calculated answers to bullshit softball questions that should never be asked in the first place.
[/quote]

Which I’ll love seeing…right up until the time he has succeeded in getting the GOP labelled as a racist party and kills the election for them…because he damages the brand immensely

Does anyone have a link or care to write a summary of Walker’s stance on key issues? I DVR’d his interview with Hannity and saw some of the announcement speech, but haven’t seen many details yet.

Walker is a really good candidate in my opinion. He has a great record as Governor and comes off as honest and caring. Wisconsin is an important state to win. However, not nearly as important as Florida and Ohio. And we all know that charisma is what wins in the end. Obama is only the most recent to demonstrate this. But since the media age the candidate with the most charisma takes the oval office. Fortunately, it won’t take much for the republican nominee, whomever he or she might be, to have more charisma than Hillary Clinton so I worry less about this.

Given the fact that any of the republican candidates with the exception of perhaps two could beat Hillary Clinton it matters a little less to me who is at the top of the ticket.

I like John Kasich, Marco Rubio and of course Scott Walker.

Walker with Kasich could be a good duo.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Walker with Kasich could be a good duo.[/quote]

I agree, and we would win. But why tempt fate? Why not get a ticket where both Ohio and Florida are represented?

Edit: I say that because if the republicans win by a wide margin, perhaps a landslide margin that creates momentum and it will then be easier to roll back some of the left wing nonsense (maybe even parts of Obamacare) that will have been going on for 8 years by then.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

I agree, and we would win. But why tempt fate? Why not get a ticket where both Ohio and Florida are represented?

Edit: I say that because if the republicans win by a wide margin, perhaps a landslide margin that creates momentum and it will then be easier to roll back some of the left wing nonsense (maybe even parts of Obamacare) that will have been going on for 8 years by then.[/quote]

More than a winning an election, I want a winning administration. Rubio is not ready, not yet. 2 governors gives me better wood than a young Senator with a hot ass wife who can’t drive for shit.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

Edit: I say that because if the republicans win by a wide margin, perhaps a landslide margin that creates momentum and it will then be easier to roll back some of the left wing nonsense (maybe even parts of Obamacare) that will have been going on for 8 years by then.[/quote]

More than a winning an election, I want a winning administration. Rubio is not ready, not yet. 2 governors gives me better wood than a young Senator with a hot ass wife who can’t drive for shit.
[/quote]

Yes, Rubio is young but he’s not Obama by any stretch of the imagination. Keep in mind that Obama turned out to be a horrible President mainly because he is a left wing ideologue. Never before in the history of our country have the American people elected someone who was so far left. Granted he made mistakes because he was inexperienced. But, mostly he has been a lousy President because he has pushed the country so far left.

I’ve often said if he would just sit there in the White House and do absolutely nothing and I mean nothing…that would be far better than what he has done. Every time he makes a move it is the wrong one. Obamacare (which 65% of the voters didn’t want). Giving Iran the bomb. Distancing the US from Israel. Pulling out of Iraq prematurely and losing the country to terrorists. Abusing the powers of the IRS, NSA spying on US citizens. Allowing millions of illegal aliens to enter our country. Tax hikes in many forms. The list is endless. Obama is a train wreck! And he did all of that not because he was inexperienced. He did it because he is a died in the wool left winger.

Give Rubio credit for being a fair market conservate. He will also be surrounded by those from the right. A President does not make decisions on their own, in most cases. We know who Obama surrounded himself with. Al Sharpton has visited the White House something like 100 times! And the many Saul Alinski disciples that Obama has on staff are legendary.

Rubio would be fine as President. We are voting not so much for the man but for the philosophy of government. The average person rises on election day (or some point) looks at both candidates and says to him/herself “I like that guy he has a nice smile” or “didn’t I see him on Jon Stewart yeah he’s cool”

Instead, vote for the party that will do what you want done. Granted the republican party has let us down many times. But, with that said they are still our best hope to turn this country around. Look we know what Hillary and company will do right? But you already know all this…

One more thing, unless we win it won’t matter will it? And who can deliver Florida better than Rubio? You want Jeb Bush?

Also take a good look at John Kasich. With him at the top of the ticket and Rubio as VP we have a grand slam home run!