Scott Press and Lateral Delts

I’m all about the delt width, but apart from lateral raises and dumbell pressing with arms out at the side I’m at a bit of a loss for exercises to hit my lateral delt (shoulder doesn’t like upright rows, plus they hit my traps a bit too much - my traps are too well developed compared to my delts).

So I want to try the Scott press but i don’t really feel like I’m doing it right. I’ll describe what i do so y’all can tell me if it sounds right:

-Start with dumbells shoulder level in front of me
-Raise them up while pulling my elbows back so my arms are in the same place as they’d be doing a normal dumbell press
-finish with my arms still a bit bent and at a similar angle to the top of a lateral raise

I’m wondering if pulling my arms back will really hit other heads of my delts, would i not need to be leaning forward for that to work?

any help/suggestions very much appreciated

You can take a look at the Alpha thread about shoulder training. I have a post at the end of the thread about what I rely on for adding size to my lateral delts.

If you want to do his dumbbell press…

^i like that guys shirt in the larry scott video.

I like the guys pants, those are hardcore. Wonder how they managed to mirror the footage, check out the World Gym logo on Larry’s shirt… Anyway, one could do a lot worse than listen to Larry Scott when it comes to shoulder width, the man sported ungodly delts considering his frame.

INteresting motion, it ends up with that nice contraction that you would get by doing behind the neck presses,… I wonder if the shifting from the front to the back like that would bother someone with should issues.

S

Bonus points for anyone(without cheating) who can tell me the bodybuilder’s name who Larry is instructing in the clip.

Francis Benfatto. What did I win?

[quote]Scott M wrote:
Bonus points for anyone(without cheating) who can tell me the bodybubilder’s name who Larry is instructing in the clip. [/quote]

Benfatto or something like that?
For years now I’ve been wanting the dvd that Scott has on all his exercises.
Especially for the delts.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
Bonus points for anyone(without cheating) who can tell me the bodybuilder’s name who Larry is instructing in the clip. [/quote]

Francois Bennafatto(sp?)

You all win a pair of the tights he was wearing… PM me your addresses. (ok please don’t)

[quote]mr popular wrote:
You can take a look at the Alpha thread about shoulder training. I have a post at the end of the thread about what I rely on for adding size to my lateral delts.

Forums - T Nation - The World's Trusted Community for Elite Fitness [/quote]

thanks man, watched the video and i like the look of that movement Jay was doing, I’ll give that a try.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
INteresting motion, it ends up with that nice contraction that you would get by doing behind the neck presses,… I wonder if the shifting from the front to the back like that would bother someone with should issues.

S[/quote]

I read alot of his stuff for years. Larry did have shoulder issues and injuries. Nevertheless he still developed these methods to hit the heads inspite of his injuries. The movements are really good but they require a small tweak on an individual basis to work with your body. It’s a fresh change from the standard laterals and presses.

[quote]ebon00 wrote:
I like the guys pants, those are hardcore. Wonder how they managed to mirror the footage, check out the World Gym logo on Larry’s shirt… Anyway, one could do a lot worse than listen to Larry Scott when it comes to shoulder width, the man sported ungodly delts considering his frame. [/quote]

I use to get Larry Scott newsletters in the mail and Larry talked about how after he started training his arms they got so big so quick that he had to hook his thumbs into his belt loops becuase his traps would start burning from holding his arms up.

wish I had that problem.