T Nation

Scott Connelly's a Total Fraud

Here is the research I have been able to gather on the recent escapades of Dr. Connelly:

Connelly has misrepresented himself for years in publications, in connection with his products, where court documents prove, evidenced by FTC rulings that Connelly was more a drug dealer than a credentialed formulator, having been found guilty of spiking his products with illegal substances and steroidal compounds.

In the 1990's Connelly defrauded the public before being caught on the promised science of this then Metabolic Prescription aka MET-Rx. Back then he claimed to be a Harvard trained nutritionist and that MET-Rx took him 20 years to develop. This formula (MET-Rx) he claimed literally brought critically ill patients back to life, and that over 20 hospitals used it for standard nutritional protocol, but over a period of 5 years he never substantiated the marketing claims. That is when Lisa M. Kreiger the Medical Writer to an expose http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/e/a/1995/09/15/NEWS6117.dtl detailing Connelly's lied in the MET-Rx marketing materials claiming he graduated from Harvard and that the 20 years of work, amounted to zero published scientific studies on Metamyosyn.

So how did Connelly do it? - By aggressively spinning pseudo-science advertorials. In 1990 Connelly came up with MET-Rx, and joined forces with a great marketer named Bill Phillips (EAS). Bill had the trust of the consumers at the time because of his Anabolic Reference Guide, Natural Supplement Review, and then Muscle Media 2000. The ARG earned Bill trust in the sports nutrition space as he wrote about how to spot counterfeit steroids and even how to smuggle them into the country. In the 1990's steroids were prevalent in society and sports. The NSR was a book which provided lab analysis of all the supplements in the space and again the first issue was legit, the 2nd issue low and behold spoke about MET-Rx. MET-Rx was claimed to cause nutrient partitioning so that calories went to building muscle instead of putting on fat, and MET-Rx was anabolic and anticatabolic .. just like a steroid.

This time, instead of MET-Rx and the magical ingredient, Metamyosyn (which he paid someone to formulate both), he now has Body-Rx and Whey Growth Factor Extract (WGFE), an ingredient that the foreign manufacturer he's in bed with, Murry Goulburn Nutritionals, is dumping in the trash by the metric ton.

In the book Muscles, Speed and Lies they did a whole subchapter on MET-Rx and even detail how Connelly tried to fabricate the science.
http://books.google.com/books?id=XWDMbj-dNrAC&pg=PA43&lpg=PA43&dq=muscles,+speed+and+lies+MET-Rx&source=bl&ots=Oq0TINmCHi&sig=ntIM9cHkIc-2fJaxZjKqWTQPgE8&hl=en&ei=-9-rTLfmGYr2tgPW3YjvAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

In the 1990's Connelly also tried to launch Cafe-MET-Rx which was to sell healthy pizzas, waffles, pancakes and it went broke. And today here he is again trying to package that idea as new and novel under the Body-Rx banner.

He has defrauded the public, the Federal Trade Commission, and has been sued by his business partners for fraud and breach of contract more than 21 times, and was actually found to enter into agreements without any intent to perform.

Connelly has recently taken to the airwaves on hoax radio shows like "Heavy Muscle Radio" hosted by Dave Palumbo and John Romano, ironically both convicted Felons (more below) to rant over his "shock" in discovering that he was in business with a criminal??

The irony here is that for a man who is so concerned that he's been consorting with a "criminal,"whom does he choose to surround himself with to bolster his credibility? None other than John Romano, Dave Palumbo, Vince Andrich, and Anthony Roberts - all criminals!

A Band of Bandits

John Romano and Dave Palumbo were both formerly employed by Muscular Development Magazine. In a statement issued by Steve Blechman the following was said about the termination of Romano and Palumbo from Muscular Development:

"In light of recent circumstances, I feel it is my responsibility to clear the air and explain one of the many reasons why both Dave Palumbo and John Romano were terminated.

Dave was hired two years ago to be Editor-in-Chief of the Muscular Development website. During the first year, he was instrumental in helping to grow it. During this past year, Dave's interests were focused increasingly on his side businesses of training athletes and launching his supplement line. John was hired by Dave as a paid employee to endorse and promote this supplement line. Because of this, John's position as Senior Editor was compromised."

John Romano also the founder of RxMuscle, went to prison for wire fraud. In his own word, "I was a commodities and stock broker. It was a complicated scheme, but suffice it to say there was a lot of money involved."

Palumbo, the editor of RxMuscle, was sentenced to five months in prison and five months house arrest in 2004 after selling counterfeit HGH. He pleaded guilty in San Diego federal court in to illegally selling 90 boxes of the fake hormone for about $63,000. He is currently being sued for causing liver failure in a young woman with his Species supplement line, where apparently Palumbo used an FDA banned substance in the formula.

Andrich, who is knee-deep in the PDB drama was also one of the co-defendants ordered to jointly pay $10 million restitution when he was found responsible for conspiracy to commit fraud and money laundering. But what's more interesting it that this cast of players are all a part of the new Muscle Insider, where apparently your credentials for publishing rights are limited to how many terms in prison you served.

Anthony Roberts (or Anthony Connors, depending on who you ask) has been defending Connelly all over the bodybuilding forums as well as his own blog. Not exactly a pillar of society, Anthony has a seen a few legal issues in his past -- the sale of fake steroids, committing fraud, criminal convictions and a recent $6M judgment against him.

So the doctor who pretends he is a scientist after being caught by the FTC for essentially selling steroids to children, while trying to bankrupt his own company, partners with a guy whose been convicted of selling fake steroids, Dave Palumbo, who then moves on to start a supplement line that causes a customers liver to fail, and hires Vince Andrich, another FTC violator to spin his story, while they all hide under the banner of Muscle Insider hoping to relive their glory days in the 1990's.

And Sports Illustrated glorifies him the Pillar of the community rather than the father of fraud. Now that is some story.

Stop posting this shit in multiple threads.

I'm sure he's copy/pasting this on every forum he can find. Hell of a way to even things out when you know you're about to lose a huge lawsuit :slightly_smiling:

S

No-one gives a fuck.

Needs pictures.

Needs summarising or deletion.

LR

First, summarizing is spelled with a z not an s. And what exately does that mean??

This is something for 5-10 year old kids. Maybe it will help you;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/words/reading/summarising/index.shtml

LR

First you come here with your first post bashing someone. You obviously have an agenda and we have no use for it. Secondly you try to put someone down for spelling and then go on to butcher the word "exactly". Do us all a favour, piss off. And I'm Canadian, so yes, favour is spelled with a "U".

I never got to try MET-Rx. Did it taste good?

Quoted for BRUTAL IRONY. You cant call someone out on spelling and then drop the ball. Looks worse than your first post did.

Jason

Not to add fuel to the fire, but Stu, who is this character and what is this lawsuit?

cliffs?

Regardless of your preference over Z or S, where one predates the other, what is so confusing about the information on Connelly? If you don't like it, don't read it. If you don't care, don't read it. And if you do, deal with it. Sports Illustrated failed by negligently reporting that he is the only legit player in the Industry, where a cursory background search would have revealed he is more likely the father of fraud in sports nutrition. That's what these forums are for - free speech and interaction. It's a big story in a bigger industry, so I made the decision to post something about it, rather than talk about my calves.

Who is your daddy and what does he do?

I used the chocolate MRP when I worked at Gold's. Threw it in the blender with PB and blueberries. Good stuff.

Connelly comes off as a wicked smart guy. I know nothing of his character, and frankly I don't care.

A. Scott Connelly was a fraud in the 1990's and continues today. This is not news, nor is it news that our own beloved TC use to ghost write all of Connelly's original articles and then we know it was two other persons who formulated Metamyosyn and MET-Rx.

Don't you people watch Date Line NBC? Did you miss the one on Scott Connelly?

I don't have any information on whether Connelly had research that in fact backed up numbers he provided or not. If he didn't that was fraudulent.

To me, being a total fraud would include having a product that was worthless. That was by no means the case with Met-Rx, particularly prior to going mass-market (by which I mean being available in supermarkets, Wal-Mart, etc.)

I didn't buy the product on account of numerical claims. I spent a ton of money on it during, I guess, 1995-1997 because other proteins available in bb'ing were not, to my perception, nearly as good. It's been well-surpassed now, and the product itself dropped greatly in quality after a while, but IMO it actually was a product to be excited about in its first few years. Not from claims of Connelly but because other stuff was generally pretty crappy and Met-Rx was quite good. To this day, I absolutely don't feel I wasted a cent buying that product: I got my money's worth.

To me, that isn't quite the description of "total fraud."

If he did have fake numbers, that was fraud. If he spiked anything, that would have been fraud too, and worse.

I've been interested in that latter question: it's an assertion that's been around for quite a while.

OP, can you provide evidence on that one? That would boost your effort here from same-old same-old to something that would be new to most or perhaps all.

This is interesting:

Architect of the MET-Rx brand joins PROGENEX as Interim-Chief Executive Officer

Darren M. Meade returns to the Performance Nutrition Arena

10.19.2010â?? - Progenex Dairy Bioactives. today announced that Darren M. Meade, 43, has been named interim-chief executive officer. Meade, succeeds Dr. Scott Connelly, Progenexâ??s founding chief executive officer who resigned amidst scandal of fraud and breach of contract for allegedly launching a competing brand and false scientific data. The new executive appointment is effective immediately.

As an internationally recognized corporate strategy and business leader, Meade brings more than 20 years of experience in a broad range of industry sectors - pharmaceutical, biotechnology, nutraceutical and sports nutrition with - business development and marketing experience to Progenex.

â??Darren is exactly the right leader for Progenex,â?? said Ryan Page. â??His extensive background and vision for the nutritional market complement the efforts that Progenex is making in defining a leadership position in Recovery for elite athletes in sports nutrition. His strong management experience will help shape Progenex as we continue our growth, line extension and global expansion. It was the selection committeeâ??s opinion after reading an article that appeared in the Orange County Register that Darren was the True pioneer in MET-Rx.

The article in The Register, referenced by Page reads: â??â??Dr. Scott Connelly, founder of MET-Rx brand of muscle enhancing powders and foods, must pay nearly $1.5 million to a former business partner, Darren Meade of Laguna Niguel, an arbitrator has ruled. The ruling, part of a 1996 lawsuit filed my Meade against Connelly and Irvine based Met-Rx USA, Inc., says Connelly and the company committed fraud by not paying Meade profit sharing due him in 1994â?¦

Connelly in 1992 hired Meade, then a 24-year-old bodybuilder, to start and manage Connellyâ??s Costa Mesa gym, Club Met-Rx. A year later Connelly brought Meade in as a partner in Met-Rx Marketplace, a company Connelly formed as a way to get his then unknown Met-Rx products into retail stores. The retail experiment, led by Meade, worked, during a 24-month stretch beginning in late 1992, Met-Rx sales through direct mail as well as retail jumped from less that $1 million to more than $40 million.

Page continues, "Darren took an unknown floundering product line from sales of less than $1 million to $40 million in 24 months, launching Met-Rx into the retail market. We are honored to have the person who created the sports nutrition category, meal replacement and baked bar market, leading Progenex.

"Ryan Page and Aaron Thomas have continued to grow the Progenex brand 10X during a very difficult time, and established the new RECOVERY formula as a breakthrough in gaining a metabolic advantage for the fittest human beings in the world, when they led the reformulation that became the Progenex brand which is respected by health care providers, top athletes, Hollywood celebrities, and fitness enthusiast worldwide,â?? said Meade.

â??I was researching how to improve the quality of life through superior nutrition for both the healthiest and sickest people. I began this quest after emerging from a coma and receiving the prognosis of being permanently disabled, incontinent and soon-to-be-death. Just imagine waking up one day, and in the blink of an eye, you've gone from being one of the healthiest to one of the sickest individuals possible.Iâ??d been an athlete my entire life and all of a sudden everything I knew was gone.

Iâ??d lost considerable muscle mass in my coma, was on dialysis and was told I would never walk again. I had an open wound of 10x4 inches on my lower right calf. I need to end the muscle wasting, improve my immune functions and increase my strength and mobility, so I set out to investigate a high quality protein formulation.

The same base protein and enzymatic formula which led to my own Recovery is in the new Recovery product of Progenex. The results of the product speaks for itself and I stopped the loss of muscle mass, gained weight and increased my wound healing, additionally I went off dialysis and am back to walking without assistance."

"Under Ryan's and Aaron's leadership, Progenex has continued to set the pace for nutrition and recovery with elite athletes through ongoing reformulation of new product, and by consistently delivering the best protein formulations to improve the quality of life for both the healthiest and sickest people," Meade continued. "I have been enormously impressed with the business and market position that Ryan and Aaron have established with Progenex, and I am thrilled by the opportunity to work alongside them as we advance Progenex to its next phase of growth."

"In the short time that Darren has advised our board of directors, he has provided decisive leadership and has demonstrated a deep understanding of our technology and business," said Aaron Thomas. "We feel extremely fortunate to have someone of Darren's stature leading our management team and to witness his personal success story with the new Progenex formulation has been truly remarkable."

Meade has served as Managing Director of Kairos-Meade since 1996, where he led the company's strategic planning, management, and business development. Including a new technology from Commonwealth Scientific Research Organization (CSIRO) with the largest biotechnology company in the world.

Prior to his appointment at Kairos-Meade, Meade was director of sales & marketing at Sun Ten Pharmaceutical Company, and prior to that he was a Partner in MET-Rx where he was credited with the personal development of the business model which created explosive growth - an increase of 3900% in 24 months.

About Progenex Dairy Bioactives, Inc.

I am not sure: exactly who would care about the above, and why?