Scotocus: What is a Bodybuilder?

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
What oneforship was getting at is…
what about the guy who lives the lifestyle but sucks at baseball? He lives the lifestyle but he’s surely not a baseball player.

Because of bodybuilding’s association with health, people seem to have this whole A for effort concept towards bodybuilding where long as you “Live the Life”. News flash theres a whole lot of people running around who think they “live the life”. I don’t care about anybodies life, if I look at you and my first reaction isn’t “damn he must be a bodybuilder” I just don’t think he should be classified as one. Of course this is my opinion which is the point of the thread, I just felt the need to argue the lifestyle point as necessary.
[/quote]

I think this a bit better explanation, thanks.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Agreed. There are no doubt many people on this forum who train 3 days a week who try to call themselves “bodybuilders” in spite of the fact that their progress has been so minimal that NO ONE would ever consider them one on the street.

Progress made is the defining factor. You don’t get a gold star just for showing up.[/quote]

It’s not as simple as just progress though. (And I’m sure you didn’t mean to purport that it was, I just want it to be clear). Because anyone can make progress, even significant progress, and not be a “bodybuilder” or whatever the title. I think it might be more accurate to say that it’s having achieved a certain level of accomplishment that others themselves wish they could achieve or themselves strive to achieve. (i.e. the skinny 130lb guy who makes it to 160lbs isn’t necessarily a BBer, despite significant and commendable progress).

I think there is a fine line between being considered a bodybuilder and just a guy who works out, but I don’t think actually competing is what draws that line.

In my mind a “bodybuilder” has to be large and relatively lean, if asked they have to know and implement proper diet and nutrition, etc. These guys are not part of the bench and curl crowd, they have a well honed program and track their progress. If you ask them about post workout nutrition after their workout, they should be sipping on a carb/protein shake while explaining to you what it is they are drinking.

I don’t know, for me there are dozens of pieces to the puzzle that is a bodybuilder. They all have to fit for me to consider myself or anyone else a bodybuilder.

Yesterday at the gym a guy came up and asked me what he needed to do to get big (this guy probably weighed 150 lbs). I talked to him for a while, explaining the importance of the compound lifts, post workout nutrition, and a caloric surplus. I told him if he did all those things and was consistent with it, the size and muscle would come. So he gets all excited and I see him walk over to the ab machine just as I start my chest workout. 40 minutes later as I finish my last set of chest, I look back over there and he is still doing abs, this time some oblique variation. I couldn’t help but shake my head. All I knew was that this wasn’t a bodybuilder, and if I ever heard him say he was, I’d smack him.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
I’m all for being an asshole but if you were sincere and
just wanted a debate you could’ve started a new thread.

What is a bodybuilder?

For me there is a look that a bodybuilder has, and I only consider ones that have this look with or without their shirt on, and yes they need to be a certian size (large). Until then you are just a person that bodybuilds. Equivelant to people who play basketball out in the park are not basketball players.
[/quote]

I have been to a couple of small amateur BB contests. I have seen some ppl on stage who wouldn’t pass for a coat hanger let alone a BB.
However in the eyes of the competition they are a BB competitor.
Would you consider such a person a bodybuilder just because he is on stage? While I can’t read your mind, I’m assuming you’re answer will be no.

In my opinion, if you train to build you’re physique and get a little close to that of a pro Bodybuilder(not sayin you’d have to want to go pro, but just an aspiration to aim for) that makes you a bodybuilder. Whether you are a good one or not is another story.

[quote]rock27 wrote:
I have been to a couple of small amateur BB contests. I have seen some ppl on stage who wouldn’t pass for a coat hanger let alone a BB.
Would you consider such a person a bodybuilder just because he is on stage? While I can’t read your mind, I’m assuming you’re answer will be no.

In my opinion, if you train to build you’re physique and get a little close to that of a pro Bodybuilder(not sayin you’d have to want to go pro, but just an aspiration to aim for) that makes you a bodybuilder. Whether you are a good one or not is another story.[/quote]

I could agree with this. Natural “Bodybuilding” especially is full of such morons who wouldn’t even place at a fitness competition but insist on calling themselves bodybuilders because they compete and then go on and say that they’re so small because they are natural… BS.

What is a bodybuilder?

One who looks likes a bodybuilder.

[quote]rock27 wrote:
Airtruth wrote:

What is a bodybuilder?

For me there is a look that a bodybuilder has, and I only consider ones that have this look with or without their shirt on, and yes they need to be a certian size (large). Until then you are just a person that bodybuilds. Equivelant to people who play basketball out in the park are not basketball players.

In my opinion, if you train to build you’re physique and get a little close to that of a pro Bodybuilder(not sayin you’d have to want to go pro, but just an aspiration to aim for) that makes you a bodybuilder. Whether you are a good one or not is another story.[/quote]

Amateur BB serves 2 purposes the first is a stepping stone to Pro Bodybuilding. Pro Bodybuilding doesn’t have the benefit of highschool and college officiated competitions to weed out the pack. So any joe and his mom can enter. Your right I don’t think entering makes them a bodybuilder. The 2nd purpose is intramural competition, great for the hobbyist.

I’m not trying to say you need to be a pro to be a bodybuilder, but you should easily be able to prove what you are. If you flex your biceps and everybody laughs I just don’t see you being a bodybuilder.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Airtruth wrote:

What is a bodybuilder?

In my opinion, if you train to build you’re physique and get a little close to that of a pro Bodybuilder(not sayin you’d have to want to go pro, but just an aspiration to aim for) that makes you a bodybuilder. Whether you are a good one or not is another story.

Amateur BB serves 2 purposes the first is a stepping stone to Pro Bodybuilding. Pro Bodybuilding doesn’t have the benefit of highschool and college officiated competitions to weed out the pack. So any joe and his mom can enter. Your right I don’t think entering makes them a bodybuilder. The 2nd purpose is intramural competition, great for the hobbyist.

I’m not trying to say you need to be a pro to be a bodybuilder, but you should easily be able to prove what you are. If you flex your biceps and everybody laughs I just don’t see you being a bodybuilder.

[/quote]

Ok fair enough. I think the main issue here is the LEVEL at which a person bodybuilds.

another way to look at this is to look at your progress. the fact that you may go to a gym (or competitions) and do “bodybuilding” does not make you a bodybuilder. this only comes about after a certain amount of time served and results achieved, then one day several years down the line you may look in the mirror and say “yes, i am a bodybuilder”

similar to the thousands of people who rock up at the beach and go surfing, but are in no way surfers just because they caught the odd wave. on a personal level i visit this forum and others like it because i have goals to gain muscle and strength and look like i have achieved something, but in no way would i claim to be a “bodybuilder.” deep down you know when you are a bodybuilder, as does everybody else around you.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
If you flex your biceps and everybody laughs I just don’t see you being a bodybuilder.
[/quote]
If a bodybuilder does it any place other than a stage or the gym we usually are laughing on the inside the same way we laugh at a gorilla who pounds his chest: from far away or the safety of mom’s basement.

:slight_smile:

You’re not a bber until you’ve stepped on stage at least once, and placed!
You may be bodybuilding, but thats about it.

[quote]alit4 wrote:
deep down you know when you are a bodybuilder, as does everybody else around you.[/quote]

…which is the key concept. If people in stores or on the street don’t even notice you or you don’t stand out, you may not want to label yourself a “bodybuilder”. When little kids scream out, “Daddy!! That man has BIG Muskules!!”…THEN you can probably get away with it.

If the kid yells out, “Daddy!! That’s a fat man!!!”, then you have gone too far in the other direction.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
If you flex your biceps and everybody laughs I just don’t see you being a bodybuilder.

If a bodybuilder does it any place other than a stage or the gym we usually are laughing on the inside the same way we laugh at a gorilla who pounds his chest: from far away or the safety of mom’s basement.

:slight_smile:

[/quote]

Retarded. If someone comes up to you and asks you to flex, they usually are NOT laughing. In fact, if anything, everyone gets real quiet and wants to touch your arm.

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
You’re not a bber until you’ve stepped on stage at least once, and placed!
You may be bodybuilding, but thats about it.[/quote]

So Vic Richards isn’t a bodybuilder?

Odd.

Who comes up with these dumbass rules?

semantics

If the kid yells out, “Daddy!! That’s a fat man!!!”, then you have gone too far in the other direction.[/quote]

Or “Daddy!! I think you could take that guy!!”

lol

Just curious if you would consider a David Boston, Lennox Lewis, Karl Malone, etc… as a bodybuilder? Karl Malone’s physique always impressed me, and I wouldn’t be surprised if his weight training was similar to that of a bodybuilder, and he has more developed than plenty of amateur bodybuilders, but can you really call him a bodybuilder?

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
Just curious if you would consider a David Boston, Lennox Lewis, Karl Malone, etc… as a bodybuilder? Karl Malone’s physique always impressed me, and I wouldn’t be surprised if his weight training was similar to that of a bodybuilder, and he has more developed than plenty of amateur bodybuilders, but can you really call him a bodybuilder? [/quote]

Malone used to go to bodybuilding comps and even had a couple of magazine shoots where he stated he trained like a bodybuilder. Shannon Sharp was the same way. David Boston, aside from playing football, was a bodybuilder as well.

The bottom line is, while genetics do play a very decent part of it, very few people on the planet are going to look like those guys did without EVER training in ways to promote looking like that.

I guess that’s what I was getting at when I mentioned those guys. They obviously trained like bodybuilders to get those physiques, but it was a side hobby (they spend far more time training for their respective sports). So what I’m getting from most people is that the heart of bodybuilding isn’t competing but improving yourself, which makes it unique compared with other sports.

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
I guess that’s what I was getting at when I mentioned those guys. They obviously trained like bodybuilders to get those physiques, but it was a side hobby (they spend far more time training for their respective sports). So what I’m getting from most people is that the heart of bodybuilding isn’t competing but improving yourself, which makes it unique compared with other sports.[/quote]

Not really that unique. All of the effort and all of the “testing” yourself is done in the gym. The competition doesn’t involve lifting weights…or eating 6 meals faster than anyone else.

I’ve lifted for over a decade and I think I look like it. I put the time in and made the sacrifices even if I haven’t dieted down just yet. No one looking at me ignores the fact that I must lift weights.

While the competition is where you prove how you match up to others on the same level (and dieting is where you truly test your will power), those several years in the gym by yourself are what got you there.

That means if someone has truly built themselves to impressive proportions but has not competed, they are a bodybuilder who simply hasn’t competed yet.

You can’t ignore or take away truly big muscles just because they haven’t competed.

alit4 wrote:
deep down you know when you are a bodybuilder, as does everybody else around you.

…which is the key concept. If people in stores or on the street don’t even notice you or you don’t stand out, you may not want to label yourself a “bodybuilder”. When little kids scream out, “Daddy!! That man has BIG Muskules!!”…THEN you can probably get away with it.

If the kid yells out, “Daddy!! That’s a fat man!!!”, then you have gone too far in the other direction.[/quote]

Heh. It always takes a child to point out if the emperor is naked or not.

If you’re 6’ and 175 and have been bodybuilding for 5 years, you are a bodybuilder - just a terrible one.