T Nation

Scotocus: What is a Bodybuilder?

Still waiting on Scotocus to pop in.

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
Cordova? natty? bwaaahahahahahaah!

And anyway he competes in the 170’s at five-fucking-seven. Thats a far cry from the 6 foot 175 pound “aesthetic monsters” you’re discussing.

Are you even in touch with reality here?[/quote]

Do you even read the posts? The pics are in reference to ‘natty’ comps = fitness comps. We’ve moved on from the 6’ 175lbs discussion, try to keep up.

In regards to the level of competition and the quality of the competitors we need to keep a few things in mind. First, everyone starts somewhere. I wouldn’t expect an amatuer ‘natty’ competition to rival the Arnold classic or Mr. O contest.

It is exactly what it is…an amatuer ‘natty’ contest. That means it is a starting point. If someone makes the decision to train hard and has the intestinal fortitude to even set foot on stage then I give them a lot more credit than some of the arm chair quaterbacks posting here. Its easy to sit behind a computer and post a bunch of insults and put downs.

Its quite another to actually walk the walk. Is everyone going to have a Mr. O physique? Of course not. But BB is a personal thing isn’t it? Being the best ‘you’ can be. Turning off the T.V. and getting into the gym. Just that alone says quite a bit about someone.

Now add the fact that they put in their effort and then go out to actually compete…I’ll give them the due respect for that as well regardless of how they do.

Another thing, I see a lot of high school kids playing sports even though they will never get to the pros. They do so perhaps in hopes of it, but they also do it for the sake of rising above those that…oh, I don’t know…sit on their computers and hurl sarcasm through the net. They do it for the enjoyment and the sake of accomplishment regardless of what level they rise to. Same for competition in BB.

I would offer this, unless you are going to train hard, eat clean and step on stage…maybe you shouldn’t talk smack of those that do. I say ‘you’ generically and not specifically.

My first example trains hard, eats clean,lives the lifestyle and goes out and makes his goal a reality and has the medals, swords and trophies in recognition for it from around the world.

Can anyone else here say that?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

I train three days a week, what exactly is wrong with that?[/quote]

About 4 days.

:slight_smile:

j/k

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
slimthugger wrote:
You clearly are NOT a professor. Thank goodness for internet role play huh?

Yeah, PX… and, and, and, I bet you’re not even a cartoon, either!… and, and, clearly, “X” is not even a letter in the alphabet!!

You been pwn3d!!!111[/quote]

that kid is wearing chucks. Special Olympics powerlifting?

I train three days a week, what exactly is wrong with that?[/quote]

You tell me. Post some pictures of yourself so we can see how that is working for you.

It was stated very recently in a different thread that most of the people who would actually pass for any sort of “bodybuilder” or even larger football player spend in excess of 4 hours a week in the gym. It was an observation. Where do you fall within that?

I think most of the people even looking to only train 3 days a week aren’t putting enough into this to make th best progress. You, on the other hand, may personally push yourself harder. That has yet to be seen.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

I train three days a week, what exactly is wrong with that?

You tell me. Post some pictures of yourself so we can see how that is working for you.

It was stated very recently in a different thread that most of the people who would actually pass for any sort of “bodybuilder” or even larger football player spend in excess of 4 hours a week in the gym. It was an observation. Where do you fall within that?

I think most of the people even looking to only train 3 days a week aren’t putting enough into this to make th best progress. You, on the other hand, may personally push yourself harder. That has yet to be seen.[/quote]

I’m not lean enough to want to post new pictures. I will however be taking and posting progress shots after I finish my last meet, in February I believe.

every weight I’ve lifted in almost a year in there. You can look at the first page or two and the last page or two and make your own conclusion.

edit:
my form sucked on the GHs in the beginning, I did them very wrong. more of a back extention.

The boxsquats in the beginning where with a wide stance, I use an oly stance now. You can use a LOT more weight with the sumo stance on box squats.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
spend in excess of 4 hours a week in the gym.

[/quote]

forgot to add this in the last post:

My sessions last ~ 75-90 minutes at a time. I’m usually a bit delerious at the end of a heavy session. I’ll sit in the locker room for a few minutes and walk out to my car and sit there for a few minutes and drink a protein shake.

On any given back or leg day I’m seeing silver or red spots on the walls after whatever squat/dl,row,leg press, whatever I’m doing that day. The information is in my log, you can decide if that meets your standards.

Wait, I;m confused. What are we discussing again? the natty mr olympias ARE going to look great, sure. That don;t mean every local show out there is producing any quality physiques…

and what does showing a 5’7’ guy who COMPETES at 170-180 prove again?

how does it matter if your workout meets his standards or not, zep?

The question is, are you seeing results from it, and are you satisfied with them?

Professor X wrote:

My sessions last ~ 75-90 minutes at a time. I’m usually a bit delerious at the end of a heavy session. I’ll sit in the locker room for a few minutes and walk out to my car and sit there for a few minutes and drink a protein shake.

On any given back or leg day I’m seeing silver or red spots on the walls after whatever squat/dl,row,leg press, whatever I’m doing that day. The information is in my log, you can decide if that meets your standards.[/quote]

[quote]TRAJJ wrote:
Examples from the recent 2008 Natural Olympia in Ca. We need to remember that BB is a subjective sport. What appeals to one may not appeal to another. Also, many of us have areas that grow better/bigger than other areas. The point of BB is to be the best that ‘you’ can be.

The great part of BB, be it natural or otherwise is that no matter how short or tall, no matter what strength or weakness you may have to overcome, through dedication, consitency, diet and a sound program you can be better than you were before.

Each of these men look better than a high % of men walking around these days. That is unfortunate. So instead of saying things like, ‘well he has small pecs’ or ‘he isn’t as big as I think he should be’ etc…maybe we should give some credit and respect for them doing what many of us here haven’t.

Just a thought.[/quote]

agreed. cheaters are whack

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:

The question is, are you seeing results from it, and are you satisfied with them?

[/quote]

The ammount of time I’ve been lifting is far too short (2 years) to be truly satisfied with anything. I need more weight on the bar, and more mass everywhere.

[quote]slimthugger wrote:
TRAJJ wrote:
Examples from the recent 2008 Natural Olympia in Ca. We need to remember that BB is a subjective sport. What appeals to one may not appeal to another. Also, many of us have areas that grow better/bigger than other areas. The point of BB is to be the best that ‘you’ can be.

The great part of BB, be it natural or otherwise is that no matter how short or tall, no matter what strength or weakness you may have to overcome, through dedication, consitency, diet and a sound program you can be better than you were before.

Each of these men look better than a high % of men walking around these days. That is unfortunate. So instead of saying things like, ‘well he has small pecs’ or ‘he isn’t as big as I think he should be’ etc…maybe we should give some credit and respect for them doing what many of us here haven’t.

Just a thought.

agreed. cheaters are whack[/quote]

What cheaters?

tribunaldude wrote:

The ammount of time I’ve been lifting is far too short (2 years) to be truly satisfied with anything. I need more weight on the bar, and more mass everywhere.[/quote]

That’s ok man.

Not being satisfied = setting goals = motivation to reach those goals.

Think about this for a moment; our society tends to be ‘fast food’ and ‘instant gratification’. Think how unique a serious BB is in light of that.

The progress isn’t measured in days or perhaps even weeks but more like months and years. Yet we train. It isn’t easy. In fact for a serious BB it is downright hard and painful. Yet we train. There are obstacles like ‘life’, illness and injury to overcome.

Yet we train. It takes commitment and dedication. It takes focus and the proper goal setting. And for those that are truly serious, it is akin to an Alpha Male-testosterone-warrior mind set. Joe couch potato can’t fathom what it is we do…or why. Too bad for Joe.

Body building is a journey so enjoy the trip.

crack is whack, mack…

[quote]Makavali wrote:
slimthugger wrote:

What cheaters?[/quote]

[quote]TRAJJ wrote:

[/quote]

But surely when it comes to bodybuilding, the results are more important than the journey.

What is the point of a journey if you haven’t gotten anywhere at the end of it?

Given the choice, I would prefer to make the bulk of my progress in ten years rather than enjoy the journey and do it in twenty.

I would much rather ‘hit my mark’ early and spend those extra years with a better physique.

The whole point of bodybuilding is to look, think and feel differently from when you began.

Perseverance, focus, commitment and dedication are admirable traits, but unless you have progress to justify all of the training and sacrifice, it’s all really for nothing.

I’m still not convinced that having good character or admirable intentions is enough to qualify someone as a successful bodybuilder.

Edit: duplicate post.

Here is my definition of a bodybuilder, for what it’s worth:

To me, bodybuilding is the pursuit of physical perfection, always has been, always will be. It is the one thing bodybuilders have in common, from Sandow to Schwarzenegger.

You look at a bodybuilder to be astounded by a spectacular, out of the ordinary physique, not a mediocre one.The journey never ends for the genuine bodybuilder: it is a lifelong pursuit.
The regular trainee will see a physique they aspire to, and are happy to reach that ideal. A true bodybuilder would reach it, then want to surpass it.

The real bodybuilder strives for the extraordinary and is prepared to make whatever sacrifices it takes to get there. That’s the difference.

When referring to natty bb = fitness comp I did indeed mean mostly the natty shows which I am seeing over here in Germany (which have a lot of people who are way too skinny for their height to be dieting down) and the untold thousands of male human beings who use “natural” as a fucking excuse for why they are still sitting at a 400 lbs total after 10 years of training.

I’m glad that at least the champions you posted (which I have never seen competing) would be recognizable as bodybuilders.

Gotta say though, the guys in the “Examples from the recent 2008 Natural Olympia in Ca” picture are imo still too light for their height… And more is definitely possible drug-free.

I assume the guy you posted before competes in the masters?

[quote]Makavali wrote:
slimthugger wrote:
TRAJJ wrote:

Just a thought.

What cheaters?[/quote]

I think he’s talking about steroid users. Whatever helps him sleep better at night.

Professor X wrote:

On any given back or leg day I’m seeing silver or red spots on the walls after whatever squat/dl,row,leg press, whatever I’m doing that day. The information is in my log, you can decide if that meets your standards.[/quote]

I’m guessing it makes no difference whether you’re delirious or see spots (whichever color) after your workouts; but how much actual visual progress you’ve made.

Yes, you’ve only been at it for 2 years so it’s obvious you’re not happy with your overall progress; but if you were to compare a picture of yourself to back then - would you see a difference? How about if you compared it to last year? Or 6 months ago? THAT’S WHAT MATTERS! All other things like “perceived” effort in the gym or kitchen, soreness, number of articles someone has read, etc… matter little.

BTW: I don’t mean to pick on you, it’s just you asked for feedback (granted not mine, but it is a public forum).

[quote]roybot wrote:
TRAJJ wrote:

But surely when it comes to bodybuilding, the results are more important than the journey.

What is the point of a journey if you haven’t gotten anywhere at the end of it?

Given the choice, I would prefer to make the bulk of my progress in ten years rather than enjoy the journey and do it in twenty.

I would much rather ‘hit my mark’ early and spend those extra years with a better physique.

The whole point of bodybuilding is to look, think and feel differently from when you began.

Perseverance, focus, commitment and dedication are admirable traits, but unless you have progress to justify all of the training and sacrifice, it’s all really for nothing.

I’m still not convinced that having good character or admirable intentions is enough to qualify someone as a successful bodybuilder.
[/quote]

Good post. People who do this “for the fun of it” at the expense of significant progress are simply weekend warriors who wish they were more than they are.

Your journey will be judged by your progress made at the end of it. Otherwise, you could have stayed home.