Scotocus: What is a Bodybuilder?

I’m all for being an asshole but if you were sincere and
just wanted a debate you could’ve started a new thread.

What is a bodybuilder?

For me there is a look that a bodybuilder has, and I only consider ones that have this look with or without their shirt on, and yes they need to be a certian size (large). Until then you are just a person that bodybuilds. Equivelant to people who play basketball out in the park are not basketball players.

Anyone who plays basketball is a ‘basketball player’. Anybody who works on their physique from an aesthetic standpoint is a ‘bodybuilder’. You may not be ‘competitive’ or ‘professional’ status, but a bodybuilder nonetheless.

Let’s break it down into sub-categories. I would consider myself a ‘beginning BB’er’, even though I have no aspirations of competing. I’m a beginner because I have a long way to go and a lot to learn. But you wouldn’t catch me calling myself a BB’er at all outside of these forums.

I don’t know when one would be considered Intermediate. You’d be Competitive when you start competing, of course, and Professional when you started making money at it (like any other sport). And then Elite, I guess, would be the guys that win major shows and make it into the mags and shit.

And yeah, Scotocus, you were being a real douchebag in that thread. I hope you’re not really a pansy-ass whiny little punk, like you seem to be from that thread.

Someone who trains,eats and lives with a single minded goal to change the size and shape of their body. the number one priority being purely cosmetic with strength being secondary (as opposed to a powerlifter whose main goal is limit strength above all others).

competitive bodybuilder:to impress the judges
personal bodybuilder: to impress yourself.

QFT

Bodybuilding is a lifestyle that the vast majority of people are not acquainted with in any way. A bodybuilder is someone who lives the lifestyle.

A few observations from a non-BBer:

On the interwebz a BBer is the most neurotic fitness “guru” there is who often can be found trolling the chat boards taking out his insecurities with his body on everyone else who does not agree with his sentiments. He loves to point out the visual flaws in novices and takes great pride in the fact that he is the toughest guy on the web; though often he lacks the ability to string three or four complete sentences together to form a semi-coherent argument. But he can spell well and likes to correct others who cannot.

In real life, however, he is much harder to find. When one does find such a specimen it can be quite intimidating at first but one can get into his good graces by following simple gym etiquette and asking him questions in such a manner that flatters him – such as, “how did you get such a finely developed gastrocnemius?” “Blasting his gunz” is another favorite topic and he generally likes giving out pointers to those who might show the slightest inclination toward the “sport”; especially to the female of the species. The biggest and most developed of them usually is the most soft-hearted. He has been around the block, seen the stage, and does not take any of his accomplishments for granted. In his own mind he is terminally imperfect…but alas, it’s leg day – no time for silly lamentations.

[quote]alit4 wrote:
Someone who trains,eats and lives with a single minded goal to change the size and shape of their body. the number one priority being purely cosmetic with strength being secondary (as opposed to a powerlifter whose main goal is limit strength above all others).

competitive bodybuilder:to impress the judges
personal bodybuilder: to impress yourself.
[/quote]

Agree

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Bodybuilding is a lifestyle that the vast majority of people are not acquainted with in any way. A bodybuilder is someone who lives the lifestyle.[/quote]

That’s like saying a football player, golfer, or an athlete involved in any other sport needs to follow a certain lifestyle in order to be considered a real participant, which is bullshit.

HK24719, i think the point is that everyone just wants something to cling to…everybody wants to be a part of something… so people like to consider themselves bodybuilders…the conflict begins when Actual bodybuilders are essentially mocked for their lifestyle choices because they poured heart and soul into bodybuilding for probably atleast 5-10 years, and then they have these guys running around, just introduced to weights, saying they’re bodybuilders and its their life and yada yada yada, when they havnt invested anything…-i’m sure we’ve all seen it

…its like saying you’re a club member but you havnt payed your dues yet…

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Bodybuilding is a lifestyle that the vast majority of people are not acquainted with in any way. A bodybuilder is someone who lives the lifestyle.

That’s like saying a football player, golfer, or an athlete involved in any other sport needs to follow a certain lifestyle in order to be considered a real participant, which is bullshit.
[/quote]

From my own encounters with real bodybuilders I would have to humbly disagree with you.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[/quote]

No it’s not. I used to play baseball in college. I was (emphasis on past tense) a baseball player. I lived a certain lifestyle to support that performance and commitment, that was part of being a baseball player. If you were to put me on a baseball field right now 9 times out of 10 (to be generous on that 10th time) I could kick the average person’s ass at anything baseball related. But I am no longer a baseball player, because I don’t live the lifestyle anymore.

And similarly when guys from this forum (or it could be any BBing forum) get frustrated with twerps (small guys such as myself) who blatantly ignore or argue their advice, I would feel the same way about someone who ignored or argued what I had to say about playing the game of baseball and learning and improving at that particular sport. Because I’ve DONE it, I’ve lived the lifestyle, and succeeded. It is annoying to see people with little or no talent for the sport of baseball try to critique or improve my game, when I’m actually at an elite level. I’m sure it is the same for many of the guys on this site.

Rule 1: Don’t call out a known troll on a serious forum.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
I’m all for being an asshole but if you were sincere and
just wanted a debate you could’ve started a new thread.

What is a bodybuilder?

For me there is a look that a bodybuilder has, and I only consider ones that have this look with or without their shirt on, and yes they need to be a certian size (large). Until then you are just a person that bodybuilds. Equivelant to people who play basketball out in the park are not basketball players.
[/quote]

[quote]oneforship wrote:
HK24719 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

No it’s not. I used to play baseball in college. I was (emphasis on past tense) a baseball player. I lived a certain lifestyle to support that performance and commitment, that was part of being a baseball player. If you were to put me on a baseball field right now 9 times out of 10 (to be generous on that 10th time) I could kick the average person’s ass at anything baseball related. But I am no longer a baseball player, because I don’t live the lifestyle anymore.

And similarly when guys from this forum (or it could be any BBing forum) get frustrated with twerps (small guys such as myself) who blatantly ignore or argue their advice, I would feel the same way about someone who ignored or argued what I had to say about playing the game of baseball and learning and improving at that particular sport. Because I’ve DONE it, I’ve lived the lifestyle, and succeeded. It is annoying to see people with little or no talent for the sport of baseball try to critique or improve my game, when I’m actually at an elite level. I’m sure it is the same for many of the guys on this site.[/quote]

My statement doesn’t cast judgment on whether is someone is good at their particular activity or sport. I think this is where everyone gets all bent out of shape.

In the case of baseball, an extremely gifted athlete might be successful without living the lifestyle as you did. This doesn’t make them any less a baseball player.

This topic comes up every so often, and I’ve decided that unless you plan to compete in the sport of bodybuilding, then you are not a bodybuilder.

If someone takes a striking class at a gym, I certainly wouldn’t call them an MMA fighter.

I am one of maybe 3 poeple I know at work (I work with a lot of people) who are dedicated in our weight training, nutrition, etc. I live the body building lifestyle I guess, although I still will eat and drink whatever I want if the mood strikes.

I want to build a physique like that of the golden age BB’ers (ok flame me for wanting to emulate Frank Zane if you want…at least it’s not Bruce Lee or Brad Pitt) but I do not consider myself a BB’er because I’m sure I’ll never compete, nor do I even follow the sport.

Then again…if I had to list what I do as a hobby I’d probably write bodybuilding because it’s easier than saying “resistance training for physique enhancement”

[quote]oneforship wrote:
HK24719 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

And similarly when guys from this forum (or it could be any BBing forum) get frustrated with twerps (small guys such as myself) who blatantly ignore or argue their advice, I would feel the same way about someone who ignored or argued what I had to say about playing the game of baseball and learning and improving at that particular sport. Because I’ve DONE it, I’ve lived the lifestyle, and succeeded. It is annoying to see people with little or no talent for the sport of baseball try to critique or improve my game, when I’m actually at an elite level. I’m sure it is the same for many of the guys on this site.[/quote]

Your looking at it from the wrong frame of mind, from a person that lives it,

What oneforship was getting at is…
what about the guy who lives the lifestyle but sucks at baseball? He lives the lifestyle but he’s surely not a baseball player.

Because of bodybuilding’s association with health, people seem to have this whole A for effort concept towards bodybuilding where long as you “Live the Life”. News flash theres a whole lot of people running around who think they “live the life”. I don’t care about anybodies life, if I look at you and my first reaction isn’t “damn he must be a bodybuilder” I just don’t think he should be classified as one. Of course this is my opinion which is the point of the thread, I just felt the need to argue the lifestyle point as necessary.

[quote]davidtower wrote:

This topic comes up every so often, and I’ve decided that unless you plan to compete in the sport of bodybuilding, then you are not a bodybuilder.

If someone takes a striking class at a gym, I certainly wouldn’t call them an MMA fighter.

I am one of maybe 3 poeple I know at work (I work with a lot of people) who are dedicated in our weight training, nutrition, etc. I live the body building lifestyle I guess, although I still will eat and drink whatever I want if the mood strikes.

I want to build a physique like that of the golden age BB’ers (ok flame me for wanting to emulate Frank Zane if you want…at least it’s not Bruce Lee or Brad Pitt) but I do not consider myself a BB’er because I’m sure I’ll never compete, nor do I even follow the sport.

Then again…if I had to list what I do as a hobby I’d probably write bodybuilding because it’s easier than saying “resistance training for physique enhancement”[/quote]

Your hobby has changed to the “Intelligent and relentless persuit of muscle.”

I think what most folks will argue over is whether you need to actually compete to be considered a bodybuilder, or if it’s just a matter of having a lifestyle conducive to building your body.

S

[quote]davidtower wrote:
Then again…if I had to list what I do as a hobby I’d probably write bodybuilding because it’s easier than saying “resistance training for physique enhancement”[/quote]

My opinion is such that if you would list it as a “hobby” then you aren’t a bodybuilder, football player, MMA fighter, whatever. Maybe that’s just me.

I consider golf to be a hobby of mine. I love to play. I’d go every day if I had the time and money. But I would never consider myself to be a “golfer.”

I think the dictionary covers this quite well. Just me, but I think this definition is pretty accurate.

bod’y·build’er n.

n. The process of developing the musculature of the body through specific types of diet and physical exercise, such as weightlifting, especially for competitive exhibition.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

[quote]slimthugger wrote:
I think the dictionary covers this quite well. Just me, but I think this definition is pretty accurate.

bod’y·build’er n.

n. The process of developing the musculature of the body through specific types of diet and physical exercise, such as weightlifting, especially for competitive exhibition.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.[/quote]

Fitness competitors do the same though, they just don’t get as big/strong and shoot for different proportions…

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
oneforship wrote:
HK24719 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

And similarly when guys from this forum (or it could be any BBing forum) get frustrated with twerps (small guys such as myself) who blatantly ignore or argue their advice, I would feel the same way about someone who ignored or argued what I had to say about playing the game of baseball and learning and improving at that particular sport. Because I’ve DONE it, I’ve lived the lifestyle, and succeeded. It is annoying to see people with little or no talent for the sport of baseball try to critique or improve my game, when I’m actually at an elite level. I’m sure it is the same for many of the guys on this site.

Your looking at it from the wrong frame of mind, from a person that lives it,

What oneforship was getting at is…
what about the guy who lives the lifestyle but sucks at baseball? He lives the lifestyle but he’s surely not a baseball player.

Because of bodybuilding’s association with health, people seem to have this whole A for effort concept towards bodybuilding where long as you “Live the Life”. News flash theres a whole lot of people running around who think they “live the life”. I don’t care about anybodies life, if I look at you and my first reaction isn’t “damn he must be a bodybuilder” I just don’t think he should be classified as one. Of course this is my opinion which is the point of the thread, I just felt the need to argue the lifestyle point as necessary.
[/quote]

Agreed. There are no doubt many people on this forum who train 3 days a week who try to call themselves “bodybuilders” in spite of the fact that their progress has been so minimal that NO ONE would ever consider them one on the street.

Progress made is the defining factor. You don’t get a gold star just for showing up.