Scotland - Global Warming

So, why when we were much warmer in the past, for example when my local castle (Dunnottar Castle) was built and this area was an average of 7c to 10c warmer, does the environmentalists say nothing about this - it wasnt like there were cars driving about then! And my town Stonehaven wasnt swamped by rising sea levels?

[quote]stoneysaxo wrote:
So, why when we were much warmer in the past, for example when my local castle (Dunnottar Castle) was built and this area was an average of 7c to 10c warmer, does the environmentalists say nothing about this - it wasnt like there were cars driving about then! And my town Stonehaven wasnt swamped by rising sea levels?[/quote]

You don’t know rules, do you? First, if your local weather pattern is warmer in than in the past it’s pretty cut and dried: It’s global warming. You are probably doomed. If your local weather is cooler than in the past it’s due to global warming. This is really bad. It means things are even worse. You’ll probaby be dead in weeek or so. And if you don’t die in a week, just sit tight. Al Gore predicted all humans would be dead in five years about fifteen years ago. He hasn’t backed off that.

Come on fella! It’s so simple! Or perhaps you need a refresher course! It’s all global warming now!

Because these things run in cycles and recognizing the medieval warming period does not fit their agenda.

Doesn’t matter dude. You absolutely have to stop burning oil, eating meat, and farting right now, or you are dooming us all to a hot, watery grave.

[quote]DS 007 wrote:
stoneysaxo wrote:
So, why when we were much warmer in the past, for example when my local castle (Dunnottar Castle) was built and this area was an average of 7c to 10c warmer, does the environmentalists say nothing about this - it wasnt like there were cars driving about then! And my town Stonehaven wasnt swamped by rising sea levels?

You don’t know rules, do you? First, if your local weather pattern is warmer in than in the past it’s pretty cut and dried: It’s global warming. You are probably doomed. If your local weather is cooler than in the past it’s due to global warming. This is really bad. It means things are even worse. You’ll probaby be dead in weeek or so.
And if you don’t die in a week, just sit tight. Al Gore predicted all humans would be dead in five years about fifteen years ago. He hasn’t backed off that.

Come on fella! It’s so simple! Or perhaps you need a refresher course! It’s all global warming now![/quote]

This is too confusing so they are now calling it Climate Change.

[quote]stoneysaxo wrote:
So, why when we were much warmer in the past, for example when my local castle (Dunnottar Castle) was built and this area was an average of 7c to 10c warmer, does the environmentalists say nothing about this - it wasnt like there were cars driving about then! And my town Stonehaven wasnt swamped by rising sea levels?[/quote]

Don’t you know? Bush is pure evil, America is a terrorist nation, and our government refused to sign Kyoto…uh…what was the question?

[quote]stoneysaxo wrote:

Politically aspiring people are using Global Warming as a politcal weapon to gain power. It’s the oldest trick in the book, scare the people into give you power. Of course it’s hogwash.

Admitting cyclical temperature patterns through out the earth’s history does not fit their agenda. They’d have to admit they don’t know and hence give up a way to garner support. They tried it in the seventies too, with their “Global Cooling” theory. That one didn’t wash either.

whats the real question here? Wheather or not the climate is changing? knowing the answer to that isn’t going to make any difference. some nations policies (not naming any names) are focused on economic growth in the short to medium term (because thats how long they’ll be in power) anything that is good in the long term but bad in the short term is political suiside.
Hay-ho i’ll be dead in 50ish years anyway.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
stoneysaxo wrote:

Politically aspiring people are using Global Warming as a politcal weapon to gain power. It’s the oldest trick in the book, scare the people into give you power. Of course it’s hogwash.

Admitting cyclical temperature patterns through out the earth’s history does not fit their agenda. They’d have to admit they don’t know and hence give up a way to garner support. They tried it in the seventies too, with their “Global Cooling” theory. That one didn’t wash either.[/quote]

you don’t make sence. so scaring people with ‘global warming’ is the best way to get into power? if that were true every govenment around the world would be lead by tree huggers. you’ve just made that up.

Yes temperatures around the world change over time but what caused them changes? do you know? what is causing the changes now? do you know that either? you shouldn’t just say something is wrong unless your an expert

[quote]wukey wrote:
pat36 wrote:
stoneysaxo wrote:

Admitting cyclical temperature patterns through out the earth’s history does not fit their agenda. They’d have to admit they don’t know and hence give up a way to garner support. They tried it in the seventies too, with their “Global Cooling” theory. That one didn’t wash either.

you don’t make sence. so scaring people with ‘global warming’ is the best way to get into power? if that were true every govenment around the world would be lead by tree huggers. you’ve just made that up.

Yes temperatures around the world change over time but what caused them changes? do you know? what is causing the changes now? do you know that either? you shouldn’t just say something is wrong unless your an expert[/quote]

No no, using fear as a political tactic is the oldest trick in the book. I.E., “You better elect me 'cause your gonna burn if you don’t.”
Second, the climate is ever changing. There are a gazillion variables involved.

You cannot for sure say one variable or another is causing change with out considering them all, or at least a statistically significant correlation between most of them. Can humans cause climate change? Maybe. But it is far from proven.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
wukey wrote:
pat36 wrote:
stoneysaxo wrote:

Yes temperatures around the world change over time but what caused them changes? do you know? what is causing the changes now? do you know that either? you shouldn’t just say something is wrong unless your an expert

No no, using fear as a political tactic is the oldest trick in the book. I.E., “You better elect me 'cause your gonna burn if you don’t.”
Second, the climate is ever changing. There are a gazillion variables involved.

You cannot for sure say one variable or another is causing change with out considering them all, or at least a statistically significant correlation between most of them. Can humans cause climate change? Maybe. But it is far from proven. [/quote]

your responce here is much more considered, it says ‘i dont know the answer’ which is the situation we’re all in. before you insinuated that you did know the answer and it was that climate change was a fabricated poiltical tool.

I agree with you in that fear is a big motivator. i think two chinese philosiphers debated this one (can’t remember their names was one of them confusious?) one said people are generally good and just need a rolemodel, and the other said people were generally bad and needed to be controled with fear.
its a real shame that only the latter seems to work.

[quote]MrRezister wrote:
Doesn’t matter dude. You absolutely have to stop burning oil, eating meat, and farting right now, or you are dooming us all to a hot, watery grave.[/quote]

Incorrect, Venus is the best example we have of the greenhouse effect on our planet, we’re all doomed to graves of gaseous sulfur and molten lead.

[quote]lucasa wrote:
MrRezister wrote:
Doesn’t matter dude. You absolutely have to stop burning oil, eating meat, and farting right now, or you are dooming us all to a hot, watery grave.

Incorrect, Venus is the best example we have of the greenhouse effect on our planet, we’re all doomed to graves of gaseous sulfur and molten lead.[/quote]

So where going to hell?

[quote]John S. wrote:
lucasa wrote:
MrRezister wrote:

So where going to hell?[/quote]

not quite, hell is coming to us.

[quote]lucasa wrote:
MrRezister wrote:

Incorrect, Venus is the best example we have of the greenhouse effect on our planet, we’re all doomed to graves of gaseous sulfur and molten lead.[/quote]

There must have been a lot of cows on venus.

[quote]wukey wrote:
John S. wrote:
lucasa wrote:
MrRezister wrote:

So where going to hell?

not quite, hell is coming to us.[/quote]

Oh well, so in 30-40 years you think they will be saying global cooling again?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Don’t you know? Bush is pure evil, America is a terrorist nation, and our government refused to sign Kyoto…uh…what was the question?
[/quote]

What question?

You just told us all we need to know.