Scoliosis in Dogs

Never heard about this condition until today. Unfortunately it is my dog who has it. He is a 7mth old Pug who is happy as hell but sometimes doesn’t seem to have complete control of his hind legs. I thought maybe it could be Hip Displasia so I made an appointment to have him checked out.

The Vet came in showed me the radiographs and said his hips were just fine and so are his knees but something looked funny up on his spine and he wanted to take a better look. He did another xray and it turns out he has a huge curve in his spine. Looking at it turned my stomach to think that my best friend has this going on. This condition is out of our Vets expertise and he has referred us to a neurological vet.

I guess my question is if anyone has ever seen this and if so what info might you have about it?

Thanks for any input or help

HAHAHA!

[quote]smallmike wrote:
HAHAHA![/quote]

whats so funny?

Sorry to hear about your pup dude.

Does he hold his head funny or is it just his back legs?

A neuro doc is the way to go, don’t be surprised if they want to do an MRI to search for masses, tumors, etc, which could be pretty pricey.

Bummer of a situation, I feel for you.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
Sorry to hear about your pup dude.

Does he hold his head funny or is it just his back legs?

A neuro doc is the way to go, don’t be surprised if they want to do an MRI to search for masses, tumors, etc, which could be pretty pricey.

Bummer of a situation, I feel for you.[/quote]

Thanks Man. I have an appointment for him tomorrow at 11.

His head and his front legs are fine just his rear end gets a little wobbly almost as though he has no lateral strength. Fortunately my vet is allowing me to take down the radiographs he took today. I feel really bad for the little guy. Good news is that he is happy but I’m just not sure if his spine will continue to get worse and ultimately crimp his spinal cord.

What a shitty day

When my lab started having seizures I was a wreck. I wasn’t sure if they were something that could be instantly fatal or what. After a good chunk of change at the vet, I found out that basically that the more you spend the closer you come to maybe finding out what the problem is. Maybe.

So far so good with him, my point is I feel your pain brother. I have an easier time watching people getting their heads chopped off on the internet than I do even thinking about my dog in pain for a split second. Im too much of a pussy to watch that animal planet show about the ASPCA police. Your pic dosent help either. Good luck with the diagnosis/treatment. Post back once you know more.

[quote]Frank Castle wrote:

Im too much of a pussy to watch that animal planet show about the ASPCA police. [/quote]

Ditto

A bullet to the head is your solution, seriously why would you spend so much money on a dog? I think taking a dog to have an MRI is only acceptable if no other person in the world needs an MRI done.

Maybe my views are skewed though, growing up we put our animals down when they got sick (and would not recover naturally), with a .22. We also had a bit of a hobby farm and when we needed meat we killed our cows with a sledge to the forehead followed by slicing their throats, pigs had their throats sliced, and turkeys or chickens got their heads lopped of with an axe.

[quote]Jerome wrote:
A bullet to the head is your solution, seriously why would you spend so much money on a dog? I think taking a dog to have an MRI is only acceptable if no other person in the world needs an MRI done.

Maybe my views are skewed though, growing up we put our animals down when they got sick (and would not recover naturally), with a .22. We also had a bit of a hobby farm and when we needed meat we killed our cows with a sledge to the forehead followed by slicing their throats, pigs had their throats sliced, and turkeys or chickens got their heads lopped of with an axe. [/quote]

Sucks to be you that you have never enjoyed true companionship with your dog. I am neither in the mood nor do I have the time to respond to the rest of your useless remarks.

Bushy, Brad and Frank… Thank you for your posts. I will let you guys know how it goes tomorrow.

Take care,

TR

I hope for the best for your dog pal. I too love my animals and it is heartbreaking when they get sick.

For those with other comments to make I only ask, when my grandmother died, would you tell me that she was old anyway and taking valuable medical resources away from others with longer to live?

If so, you have no heart.

:frowning:

[quote]Sxio wrote:
I hope for the best for your dog pal. I too love my animals and it is heartbreaking when they get sick.

For those with other comments to make I only ask, when my grandmother died, would you tell me that she was old anyway and taking valuable medical resources away from others with longer to live?

If so, you have no heart. [/quote]

Pets are not humans and your point about your grandmother therefore has no bearing. Human life is much more important.

For any of you who think my original post was cold hearted why don’t you wake up to reality, you all know dogs don’t live that long to begin with, so you know you’re going to outlive it the second you buy it, deal with it. If an animal is suffering why not put it out of its misery? Try saving your money yourself or if you’re so bent on spending some help out your sick family member or neighbour, not a dog.

Secondly for those of who think slaughtering animals is cruel, wtf do you think you eat? And, hitting a cow with a sledge, slicing a pig’s throat or lopping of a turkey’s head are all VERY common ways of killing them.

Maybe some core training and foam rolling is in order?

Only kidding mate, I really feel for you… As long as your puppy is happy, that’s the main thing. If he’s happy, you should be too.

Damn, sorry to hear about your little fella.

Here’s to hoping for the best.

The fuck is so funny? Sorry to hear about your pup, hope everything goes well.

Look at this sweetheart.

With your views of animals, it sounds like we’ll be seeing you on Animal Cops in the near future.

I’m not going to respond again, so please stop being a jackass on this guy’s thread.

[quote]Jerome wrote:

Maybe my views are skewed though, growing up we put our animals down when they got sick (and would not recover naturally), with a .22. We also had a bit of a hobby farm and when we needed meat we killed our cows with a sledge to the forehead followed by slicing their throats, pigs had their throats sliced, and turkeys or chickens got their heads lopped of with an axe. [/quote]

[quote]Frank Castle wrote:

Im too much of a pussy to watch that animal planet show about the ASPCA police.
[/quote]

I tell myself I’m not going to watch it because it makes me so mad. But, like a car wreck. . .

[quote]SBT wrote:
Look at this sweetheart.

With your views of animals, it sounds like we’ll be seeing you on Animal Cops in the near future.

[/quote]

My views are pretty common in the country, which is where I grew up.

Until all of human kind are free of disease, sickness, and injury, no pet should have the right to medical treatment.