Scissor Mishap and Wound Healing

Fortunately, there is no tendon, ligament or joint damage. I’m quite thankful for that.

I had read that arnica was toxic as well, and that it should not be taken orally, but rather as a topical agent. But then some people mentioned that there is an oral version of it.

I’ll look into where I can get the Wobenzyme tomorrow. I’m not sure however, if I can get the arginine since free form amino acids are not sold in Canada to my knowledge. I’ll have to look into that.

With the current exception of r-ALA, I am all over the vitamin intake.

Thanks very much.

There are at least a couple of ways arnica can be used. One is a homeopathic arnica, which is taken internally. There’s also an externally applied arnica. That’s the one that you don’t want to apply to an open wound.

Since no one else has asked, I will. What the hell did you do?

“Since no one else has asked, I will. What the hell did you do?”

Did you not read my post?

Most important thing is to keep the wound covered at all time. The more moisture the wound area retains, the quicker it will heal. I wouldn’t go wasting big bucks on supplements that will maybe speed healing by a few percentage points. As far as antioxidants go, if you are eating a balanced diet, there is much debate over whether you really need extra exogenous supplies of antioxidants, since your body naturally synthesises them. Adding extra antioxidants from an outside source just means that your body has to manufacture less on its own and doesn’t neccessarily mean that they will have any extra added benifit. Just keep the bandage clean, If you must change the bandage, only do so once per day as the loss of heat can slow healing. Once the skin has healed sufficiently begin range of motion exercises to prevent skin adhesions and ensure you regain full flexibility of your digit.

It’s a less than impressive story.

Want me to make one up? It won’t have any truth, or scissors in it but it may come in handy.

He was running with scissors.Tsk tsk tsk.

Thunder…ouch!!
Ok,neosporin,the kind that has a pain reliever added to it,and I’m sure you already know to keep the bandages clean.Sorry man that sucks

Anderson’s right about the zinc. 50-75 mg a day will aid in tissue repair. Stay under 100mg, factoring in your ZMA (if you use it) and your multi.

Feel your pain!
Cut through my fingernail to the bone with a knife once.

As Prisoner22 said keep the wound moist and covered. If the wound dries out the scarring will be more pronounced, which will make it more prone to damage in the future and it will heal faster.
If you want to bother with supplements use Zinc, Vit C and Vit E as suggested.

At night try and sleep with your hand elevated e.g. on across your chest. This will reduce inflammation, which slows the healing process.

Basically I was cutting some shoe laces and almost cut the end of my finger off. Fortunately, I didn’t.

I can’t clean and change the bandages. I was told to keep this bandage on for about 3 days before removing it. They don’t want it to get wet. Probably by Wednesday I’ll be able to take more care of the actual wound itself.

You have scissors in Canada? They must be tough if they’re going to be used on snowshoe laces.:slight_smile:
Our lab studies skin protein synthesis in addition to muscle, and extra aminos are usually a good idea-BUT considering the comparative size of the wound, and the liklihood of an already high protein diet, I wouldn’t worry about it. Then again you could always try glutamine LOL

OT-How have you managed to write such lengthy replies with only one hand? I’m impressed!

Well I can type regularly with my right hand and now use my pointer finger of my injured hand. I am adapting. (LOL) Mind you, I keep hitting the number 2 key.

These were some sharp scissors as well - I used them to cut chicken breast and meat.

I think that external treatment of the wound is the most important thing. Of course, do everything they told you at the hospital. If they sent you home with any topical, use it preferentially. When you get to the point you should remove the hospital’s bandage (3 days), you might want to try the new gel-type of Band-aid. I have been extremely impressed by the healing I’ve had using these things. They are supposed to be waterproof, but wear a glove in the shower so that you can go as long as possible before changing it. These gel bandages really seal up the wound; they don’t just sit on top of it. That’s why I don’t want to change the bandage and disrupt the seal. They also keep the wound optimally moist all the time. My results have been much faster healing, no scab formation, and no scarring.

I was going to say I don’t remember what these things are called, but then I remembered this is the web after all.
http://www.band-aid.com/advanced_healing_prod.shtml

How did I miss this opportunity to make up a story for our Baron of Bodyfat…

Time does not permit me to flesh out the story, so this is a DIY project. I hope you don’t mind.

Lets check the story-toolbox…Midgets - check, Older, Oversexed neighbour who looks like Lola Falana but dances like Elaine Benes - check, Small, spunky Terrier/Dane named “Bubba” - check, Over-ripe Kumquats - check, an ill-timed knock at the front door - check, a dark stranger who offered some “easy money for a few pictures” - check and last but not least, Earl the goat who can write his name in the snow.

Put it together in whatever manner suits your fancy and I think you will be pretty close to the truth.

Yeah, I know, he IS pretty sick…

“Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die”

~ Mel Brooks

Too funny.