Scientology - WTF?

Does anyone actually know what Scientology is?

And I don’t mean, “Um… I think something about Aliens…”

I mean, does anyone on here have a friend who is one who can explain what it is?

I read the wikipedia page on it once, I remember something about some aliens exploding on earth thousands of years ago, and bits of them being stuck to our souls or something, then you get to pay heaps of money to eat unhealthy amounts of vitamins and have their experts remove alien bits off of your soul. It’s awesome.

[quote]CLewis wrote:

I mean, does anyone on here have a friend who is one who can explain what it is?[/quote]

Are you assuming that no T-Nation member is, in fact, a Scientologist?

And if you really want to know, there is this little thing called research. Or–you could just believe what someone types on here.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
CLewis wrote:

I mean, does anyone on here have a friend who is one who can explain what it is?

And if you really want to know, there is this little thing called research. Or–you could just believe what someone types on here.[/quote]

I heard you become an honorary member of scientology if you buy MI-III on DVD. I think there is a coupon inside or something.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
CLewis wrote:

And if you really want to know, there is this little thing called research. Or–you could just believe what someone types on here.

I heard you become an honorary member of scientology if you buy MI-III on DVD. I think there is a coupon inside or something.[/quote]

Peace

man i tried to understand what it was by reading there web page. everything is so fucking vauge i didnt understand any of it, except the quite birth and eating healthy.
Sounds stupid like any other religion.

It was started by a science fiction writer. Any questions?

[quote]blok wrote:
everything is so fucking vauge[/quote]

Which is why it’s successful. You can basically do anything with a religion that has the majority of their practioniers completely unaware as to what the belief behind Scientology is.

It’s also why it’ll never be as successful as much older religions, because you’re provided with essentially all you need in a spiritual text of some kind, while with Scientology the plot behind it (may as well call it a plot, it was written by a sci-fi author after all) is kept completely secret from members of the Church of Scientology until they reach a point where they’re so indoctrinated that the insanity of it doesn’t bother them, or they’ve invested so much time and money and make the church such an important part of their life that they have no choice but to continue on with the church.

It’s not stupid like any other religion, it’s hilarious though (except for blackmailing people who are trying to leave the church, that is very not hilarious), and it is very cult-like in its recruitment method and subsequent ‘levels’ of attaining knowledge that require you to invest time and money.

Buncha new-age crazies who don’t want you to know they’re crazy is the gist of it.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:

I heard you become an honorary member of scientology if you buy MI-III on DVD. I think there is a coupon inside or something.[/quote]

You know, I never understood why the ads always said “MIIII”. I couldn’t figure out why there were 4 I’s when it was part 3. Now it makes sense after seein the dash you put in there, and also makes me feel like an idiot.

Hail Xenu!

The BEST site there is for all things religious and/or spiritual.

if you download/watch the episode of south park “trapped in the closet” with tom cruise, it reveals all!

No, I’m not. I tried to ask (and maybe I wasn’t clear) if someone who knew what they were talking about or knew a friend would explain it (instead of just, “I heard this…”)

I am the first person to get pissed when someone asks a question that could be easily found with a google search. Scientology is not one of those things. I was reading through the website just before I asked. You get either stuff directly from Scientologists or stuff from people who claim they’re a quote.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:

And if you really want to know, there is this little thing called research. Or–you could just believe what someone types on here.[/quote]

[quote]CLewis wrote:
Does anyone actually know what Scientology is?[/quote]

A1. L. Ron Hubbard’s excellent retirement plan.

A2. A great place to find suckers with money.

A3. A religion ironically derided by other faiths as being “made up.”

[quote]pookie wrote:
CLewis wrote:

A1. L. Ron Hubbard’s excellent retirement plan.

A2. A great place to find suckers with money.

A3. A religion ironically derided by other faiths as being “made up.”
[/quote]

The answer is: all of the above, with emphasis on #A1

I don’t see what makes any other belief system any better or worse for that matter, just because it has existed for a long time doesn’t mean anything. But then again it is necessary for all the irrational people who can’t think for themselves, who make statements that lead you to think that there would be complete anarchy if they didn’t go to Hell as a consequence. But hey bash away.

[quote]ill wrote:
I don’t see what makes any other belief system any better or worse for that matter, just because it has existed for a long time doesn’t mean anything. But then again it is necessary for all the irrational people who can’t think for themselves, who make statements that lead you to think that there would be complete anarchy if they didn’t go to Hell as a consequence. But hey bash away.[/quote]

Your right, but you have to admit, believing a magical power in the sky created the world is a lot better…

Well, it doesn’t look like you’re getting very many serious answers to your question, so I’ll help you out as best I can. I’m not a Scientologist, but I did look seriously into it a while back, because I felt it was important to explore every religion out there and have at least a basic understanding of them all.

Scientology says:
We are all victims of our reactive minds. Words, symbols, situations, etc all generate reflex-type responses from us that color our experiences and keep us from realizing our true self. Scientologists use a process called auditing to clean this internal mess up. They hook you up to a device that helps locate these internal knots that serve as anchors for the reactive mind and then remove them.

Scientology requires that you pay for books, courses, and other materials as you progress from ‘preclear’ (complete victim of the reactive mind) through various levels of becoming ‘clear.’ As far as I know, it is the only religion that requires payment in exchange for results.

All the Xenu space warlord stuff is not something you’ll find at your local Scientology chapter. Supposedly it’s from some leaked lesson or document that only the higher ups in the church are privy to. It goes into some pretty whacky explanations for why we are the way we are.

The religion is extremely vague on the concept of God. Or at the very least my questions about their beliefs in this area were met more or less with: ‘believe what you want to believe when it comes to God.’

I bought a few of the introductory, cheap books and overall I was amazed at Hubbard’s poor communication skills. It’s overly simplistic, but somehow still manages to be jumbled and confused. It honestly felt like something written by a schizophrenic the way he flitted from thought to thought.

I personally came to the conclusion that there may be a kernel of truth in the whole ‘reactive mind’ concept but almost everything else stinks of corruption and insanity.

But you need to come to your own conclusions. It’s good that you want to learn more about it instead of just accepting what you hear from other people.

Most people really only understand one religion (in the U.S., that’s usually Christianity but this phenomena is certainly not unique to Christianity). I always found this strange, because religion always struck me as probably THE most important decision a person can make in their life. How messed up is it to not fully explore all your options as open mindedly as possible?

OK, I’ll get off my soap box now.

Someone already mentioned it, but it seems that you ignored it:

That site contains all the facts you’ll ever want to know about scientology.