Scientific Evidence to Support Foam Rolling?

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I’ve never been compelled to mess with shit like that. Just lift weights and eat your food.[/quote]

So we should give up foam rolling, massage, stretching, and mobility drills - things that aid in recovery and stave off injury.

Thanks![/quote]

It’s ok, some people don’t think it’s hardcore to worry about quality of tissues.

I mean, it’s not like Jay Cutler uses massage work at all :wink: oh wait, he does
[/quote]

It’s very hardcore when one has to be relegated to avoiding hardcore exercises like squats and deadlifts because they DIDN’T do softcore stuff like glute activation drills, rotator cuff exercises, stretching, and mobility drills.

NOT! [/quote]

Hey thats me!! :smiley: now im the king of mobility drills and foam rolling, could roll on my ITB for DAYS!

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
There is no big deal in bodybuilding - hence why there are hundreds of guys running around this forum not making significant progress because they think there is a big deal and waste an enormous amount of intellectual and emotional energy and time because of that line of thinking.

I apologize if I was rude. After all, I’ve come to the conclusion that people on here are either a) extremely lazy, b) computer illiterate, c) neurotic, d) lonely, e) self-defeatist, or f) desiring a conversation. [/quote]

And you consistently respond to all of them.

and now your not?.. You just still consistently respond to people like this

Instead we should quibble over why do you want a study? and if it’s really necessary?

Let me get this right, You saw the title didn’t care for the topic yet still clicked the link? All those titles, include e-debates with you and everybody else on here. Most of us don’t lift more than 2 hours a day after sleeping and eating we still have a little free time, there’s a little thing called a hobby.

Some people go to bars and talk about nothing all day, some people watch tv, others knit, and some video games none of them enhance your life more then looking for a study.

lol
So you used to be self-Defeatest, yet you start an argument about a thread you don’t like but interested in coming to. funny.

that’s pretty much what I’m saying Air.

So judging from your most recent reply where you say: “I was hired to save the precious emotional and intellectual energy that is being wasted at an unprecedented rate.” it’s safe to assume that you think reading studies on WHY things work the way they do is a waste of time? Don’t you feel that by understanding the underlying mechanics of a technique you can come up with other applications for that particular technique.

I used to be a big foam roller junkie. It’s great at first, but I feel like foam rolling really gives diminishing returns. The first time it’s like a miracle cure, the 100th time you barely notice it even when you are putting 100% of bodyweight on squat rack pin. Dollars to donuts, your body adapts to every stimulus…

and eventually you aren’t going to get that ‘autogenic inhibition’ - your brain is making certain muscles overly tight for a reason and it will find a way to get it back sooner or later.

That’s really the theory behind it - you press on the golgi tendon, the golgi tendon fears the muscle is going to tear, and sends an alert to the nervous system telling it to relax the muscle or else survival will be threatened.

Well, 1) eventually your brain gets tired of hearing that signal and doesn’t respond as strongly and 2) why would it even be a good idea to consistently send signals of impending doom to your brain?

The idea that you can just force tight muscles to relax by pushing on them with a foam stick or a lacrosse ball or what have you all the while expecting your nervous system to somehow fix whatever movement problem was creating that restriction in the first place is a bit silly when you really think about it.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

I’ve never been compelled to mess with shit like that. Just lift weights and eat your food.[/quote]

So we should give up foam rolling, massage, stretching, and mobility drills - things that aid in recovery and stave off injury.

Thanks![/quote]

It’s ok, some people don’t think it’s hardcore to worry about quality of tissues.

I mean, it’s not like Jay Cutler uses massage work at all :wink: oh wait, he does
[/quote]

Just because you worry about “quality of tissues” (whatever the hell that means) doesn’t mean those modalities have any actual value for most people. So Jay Cutler uses massage? For every bodybuilder who does, there are probably 10 who don’t.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

Thanks![/quote]

[/quote]

Just because you worry about “quality of tissues” (whatever the hell that means) doesn’t mean those modalities have any actual value for most people. So Jay Cutler uses massage? For every bodybuilder who does, there are probably 10 who don’t. [/quote]

Most people don’t save enough for retirement. I guess I shouldn’t either.

[quote]challer1 wrote:
I used to be a big foam roller junkie. It’s great at first, but I feel like foam rolling really gives diminishing returns. The first time it’s like a miracle cure, the 100th time you barely notice it even when you are putting 100% of bodyweight on squat rack pin. Dollars to donuts, your body adapts to every stimulus.
[/quote]

I agree with the above statement. The first week of foam rolling is great, the second is good, then from the third on it feels like nothing.

[quote]

The idea that you can just force tight muscles to relax by pushing on them with a foam stick or a lacrosse ball or what have you all the while expecting your nervous system to somehow fix whatever movement problem was creating that restriction in the first place is a bit silly when you really think about it. [/quote]

Whoever said that they expected the nervous system to just correct movement problems and restrictions. The rolling allows your to relax a tightened muscle, thus allow YOU, the roller, to then take it upon yourself to work the inhibited (stretched) muscle.

A prime example is APT caused by tight quads, hip flexors, and lower back. I can do glute bridges all day, but if these muscles are tight, the lower back and hams will take over. After a little foam rolling and stretching, I only feel the contraction in my glutes. Soft tissue work does have a place, people just need to know how and when to use it.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

Thanks![/quote]

[/quote]

Just because you worry about “quality of tissues” (whatever the hell that means) doesn’t mean those modalities have any actual value for most people. So Jay Cutler uses massage? For every bodybuilder who does, there are probably 10 who don’t. [/quote]

Most people don’t save enough for retirement. I guess I shouldn’t either. [/quote]

Bingo.

And to the person who brought up the fact that over time you will see diminishingY returns, this is correct, since the whole point of foam rolling is to break up adhesion within the muscle. You have to do it a lot at first, but eventually you can back off the frequency.

Are we really debating the efficacy of foam rolling in this thread?

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

Thanks![/quote]

[/quote]

Most people don’t save enough for retirement. I guess I shouldn’t either. [/quote]

Bingo.

And to the person who brought up the fact that over time you will see diminishingY returns, this is correct, since the whole point of foam rolling is to break up adhesion within the muscle. You have to do it a lot at first, but eventually you can back off the frequency.

Are we really debating the efficacy of foam rolling in this thread?[/quote]

I don’t know if that guy wants to debate it. He’s saying that because many don’t do it, we should take that as a cue to what it’s worth. This is flawed reasoning. Many lifters are busted because of lack of stretching, foam rolling, massage, and mobility drills.

Of course there are diminishing returns. There are also diminishing returns to weight training too! Perhaps I shouldn’t train much anymore either. After all, once you reach an advanced stage, you have to fight tooth-and-nail to gain even a QUARTER pound of muscle. And there are elite powerlifters dying for 5 more pounds on their bench press. Olympia competitors come in, what, like 1 pound heavier each year, if that?

That’s it, folks. I’m packing it in. Diminishing returns! :frowning:

sorry Brick, I figured that came out wrong. I knew he didn’t want to debate it, I threw those 2 thoughts together to where it seemed I was talking about the same guy.

That’s fine, dude! :slight_smile: His reasoning was jackassy anyway!

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

Thanks![/quote]

[/quote]

For the love of god, Belligerent, would you quit being such a cynical son of a bitch? You could try a few things before discrediting them. Maybe if you did you wouldn’t be so crippled yourself. For those of you who don’t know, Belligerent is basically a cripple, yet he won’t try things that may help him. Belligerent, I’m stronger, faster and more able bodied now than I was 6 or 7 years ago when you and I first met. I haven’t made that progress by sitting around not trying new things. And you’ve heard my sob stories about my injuries so you know I’ve had some bad times.

Foam rolling is a good thing. I don’t know exactly why it’s good, but I know for a fact it helps me.