T Nation

Scientific Evidence to Support Foam Rolling?

I’ve started foam rolling after my last couple workouts, but I realize that I’ve heard a lot about it here on the site, and seen plenty of youtube videos, but I’ve never read any studies or seen any scientific evidence on what exactly it’s supposed to help. Could someone point me to something like this?

1st chapter namely.

You need a fucking study to show that foam rolling loosens muscles?

Hey guys, I know that massage is pretty cool, but can you show me a study on it?

Hey guys, I know that eating protein is necessary to live, but can you show me a study on it?

I don’t see why that’s completely ridiculous, he just wants to see the science behind it. There’s nothing wrong with a little knowledge.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
You need a fucking study to show that foam rolling loosens muscles?

Hey guys, I know that massage is pretty cool, but can you show me a study on it?

Hey guys, I know that eating protein is necessary to live, but can you show me a study on it? [/quote]

If massage was shown to do jack shit, you would probably reconsider getting a massage

If eating 400g of protein was proved to be excessive, you’d stop eating that much protein.

If foam rolling was shown to be minimally effective as compared to other techniques you wouldn’t fucking do it.

Whats the big fucking deal?

There is no big deal in bodybuilding - hence why there are hundreds of guys running around this forum not making significant progress because they think there is a big deal and waste an enormous amount of intellectual and emotional energy and time because of that line of thinking.

I apologize if I was rude. After all, I’ve come to the conclusion that people on here are either a) extremely lazy, b) computer illiterate, c) neurotic, d) lonely, e) self-defeatist, or f) desiring a conversation.

Thinking of this matter, I realize there’s nothing wrong with being lonely, wanting to strike up mindless conversaton, mental illness, and low computer literacy. Come to think of it, I’ve had some of these conditions in my life. At one time, I was technologically moronic. At several times, I was depressed. At several times, I was self-defeatist. I made some progress in the gym and life when I overcame these shortcomings.

If people want to use (or waste) their time reading studies that provide little application to what we do or don’t need to be read because they provide OBVIOUS information that we already have, then they should go and do that if they find it entertaining and educational.

The problem is that people are spending way too much precious time and mental energy quibbling over the weirdest or simplest shit on earth! We now have posters asking questions that are unanswerable or that indicate that the poster has far too much time on his hands, is self-defeatist, ignorant, undereducated, and/or confused!

“Should I have fructose, waxy maize, dextrose, Surge, or a tuna sandwich after I workout?”

“How do I ramp up?”

“What’s good to eat?”

“Should I add weight or reps to my squats?”

“How do I know when to cut?” (This one really had me stunned. I just couldn’t understand how a grown adult doesn’t know when he’s carrying too much fat.)

“Hey guys, I’m thinking of doing Sergi Primikov’s 6-1 Quadruple Russian Mafioso Gulag Kettlebell routine. He recommends ultra-high volume. Is it OK if I do low volume?”

“I’m thinking of doing Mentor Buckwheat’s Spring Break Challenge workout. The program has 4 days. Is it OK if I add a 5th day?”

“You guys say to eat high protein. Do you think it’s OK if I eat low protein?”

“Here’s my routine. Tell me if it’s ‘good’.”

“Here’s my routine. Will it cause overtraining?”

“I’m going on an all-out bulk at a buck-fifty!”

“I’m changing routines when my lifts equal my bodyweight.”

Was all of that necessary?

Yup, at this point it is.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
There is no big deal in bodybuilding - hence why there are hundreds of guys running around this forum not making significant progress because they think there is a big deal and waste an enormous amount of intellectual and emotional energy and time because of that line of thinking.

I apologize if I was rude. After all, I’ve come to the conclusion that people on here are either a) extremely lazy, b) computer illiterate, c) neurotic, d) lonely, e) self-defeatist, or f) desiring a conversation.

Thinking of this matter, I realize there’s nothing wrong with being lonely, wanting to strike up mindless conversaton, mental illness, and low computer literacy. Come to think of it, I’ve had some of these conditions in my life. At one time, I was technologically moronic. At several times, I was depressed. At several times, I was self-defeatist. I made some progress in the gym and life when I overcame these shortcomings.

If people want to use (or waste) their time reading studies that provide little application to what we do or don’t need to be read because they provide OBVIOUS information that we already have, then they should go and do that if they find it entertaining and educational.

The problem is that people are spending way too much precious time and mental energy quibbling over the weirdest or simplest shit on earth! We now have posters asking questions that are unanswerable or that indicate that the poster has far too much time on his hands, is self-defeatist, ignorant, undereducated, and/or confused!

“Should I have fructose, waxy maize, dextrose, Surge, or a tuna sandwich after I workout?”

“How do I ramp up?”

“What’s good to eat?”

“Should I add weight or reps to my squats?”

“How do I know when to cut?” (This one really had me stunned. I just couldn’t understand how a grown adult doesn’t know when he’s carrying too much fat.)

“Hey guys, I’m thinking of doing Sergi Primikov’s 6-1 Quadruple Russian Mafioso Gulag Kettlebell routine. He recommends ultra-high volume. Is it OK if I do low volume?”

“I’m thinking of doing Mentor Buckwheat’s Spring Break Challenge workout. The program has 4 days. Is it OK if I add a 5th day?”

“You guys say to eat high protein. Do you think it’s OK if I eat low protein?”

“Here’s my routine. Tell me if it’s ‘good’.”

“Here’s my routine. Will it cause overtraining?”

“I’m going on an all-out bulk at a buck-fifty!”

“I’m changing routines when my lifts equal my bodyweight.”
[/quote]

don’t know if you were just blowing off steam or not, but that is a really good post!
merry christmas.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
“I’m changing routines when my lifts equal my bodyweight.”
[/quote]

Glad that I made the list.

Apparently, you’re smart enough to read between the lines and tell me why I’m doing what I’m doing without knowing any context.

PS: You misunderstood my post.
PPS: You’re helpful, so thanks for that. Given my history on forums with endurance athletes, the idiocy you talk about is quite annoying after years of hearing it.

PPPS: In the end, you’re helping some people and others give up. It’s your choice to help if not at all and from what I’ve seen on here, you’re doing more good than harm. You pick what’s worth it or not. Your post makes more than enough sense.

not sure why bricknyce reacted like that…I know it FEELS like foam rolling is doing something, but feelings don’t equate with actual results. I’m wondering what the science is behind it. I guess I love studying this stuff more than some (and less than others).

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

1st chapter namely.[/quote]

REALLY great link for foam rolling. Thank you!

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
not sure why bricknyce reacted like that…I know it FEELS like foam rolling is doing something, but feelings don’t equate with actual results. I’m wondering what the science is behind it. I guess I love studying this stuff more than some (and less than others). [/quote]

Placebo is worth it sometimes.

At other times, you should know that most athletes are damn well in tune with their bodies. If it does something to help, they’ll know it. Not only in how they feel, but also in how their workouts go.

I’ve never been compelled to mess with shit like that. Just lift weights and eat your food.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I’ve never been compelled to mess with shit like that. Just lift weights and eat your food.[/quote]

So we should give up foam rolling, massage, stretching, and mobility drills - things that aid in recovery and stave off injury.

Thanks!

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
not sure why bricknyce reacted like that…I know it FEELS like foam rolling is doing something, but feelings don’t equate with actual results. I’m wondering what the science is behind it. I guess I love studying this stuff more than some (and less than others). [/quote]

Feeling something in the human body is USUALLY an indication that something good or bad is happening. If my upper back feels like it’s been loosened because of foam rolling, then I’ll bet dollars to doughnuts that it IS loosened! If I feel like I have a new pair of legs after static stretching and mobility drills, then I’ll bet dollars to doughnuts that it’s because those activities did something! Not to mention that the most competent fitness and health professionals wouldn’t recommend this shit if it didn’t work.

[quote]AccipiterQ wrote:
not sure why bricknyce reacted like that…I know it FEELS like foam rolling is doing something, but feelings don’t equate with actual results. I’m wondering what the science is behind it. I guess I love studying this stuff more than some (and less than others). [/quote]

I’m sorry I reacted like that. It wasn’t directed at you. It’s just that there’s a new secret policeman–not a sheriff–on this forum - ME! I’m here to tear down doors and round up T-Tards, and apparently I got the wrong guy - YOU!

I was hired to save the precious emotional and intellectual energy that is being wasted at an unprecedented rate. At the rate things are going, this board, and the majority of the fitness and health world will soon be inhabited by thousands, perhaps millions, of meandering bums making no progress.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I’ve never been compelled to mess with shit like that. Just lift weights and eat your food.[/quote]

So we should give up foam rolling, massage, stretching, and mobility drills - things that aid in recovery and stave off injury.

Thanks![/quote]

It’s ok, some people don’t think it’s hardcore to worry about quality of tissues.

I mean, it’s not like Jay Cutler uses massage work at all :wink: oh wait, he does

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I’ve never been compelled to mess with shit like that. Just lift weights and eat your food.[/quote]

So we should give up foam rolling, massage, stretching, and mobility drills - things that aid in recovery and stave off injury.

Thanks![/quote]

It’s ok, some people don’t think it’s hardcore to worry about quality of tissues.

I mean, it’s not like Jay Cutler uses massage work at all :wink: oh wait, he does
[/quote]

It’s very hardcore when one has to be relegated to avoiding hardcore exercises like squats and deadlifts because they DIDN’T do softcore stuff like glute activation drills, rotator cuff exercises, stretching, and mobility drills.

NOT!

Actually a useful link PB, thanks.