Science Fiction Books

The Foundation series by Asimov. Actually, most anything by Asimov.

I’ve always wanted to read Iain Bank’s sci-fi.

Gene Wolfe - Book of the New Sun, Urth of the New Sun, Book of the Long Sun, Book of the Short Sun. Read them. Now.

John C. Wright - The Golden Age

Olaf Stapleton " Last and First Men", “Starmaker”

Frank Herbert “Dune” and all the sequels, not ONE SINGLE BOOK by his son for he butchered the series, that POS.

Orson Scott Guard " Ender´s Game"

And, because it´s fun, the “Lost Fleet” series by whoever.

William Gibson, everything.

Mc Master/Bujold, everything with Miles Vorkosigan in it

For sci-fi/fantasy/pulp, the Warhammer 40k and the newer, higher-class Horus Heresy series.

The Demolished Man, Alfred Bester

[quote]Backlash79 wrote:
Himora22 wrote:
Star Wars! There are many, many great Star Wars books…

Shadows of the Empire
Heir to the Empire trilogy
Rouge Squadron
Republic Commando
The Jedi Academy Trilogy
The New Jedi Order
Darksaber
The Black Fleet Crisis

I could go on and on?Vader can vouch for me

Some of these that Mimora mentioned are great but I did NOT like The New Jedi Order, I used to be a rabid reader of all the Star Wars books but this really killed my interest.[/quote]

Same here, the new jedi order was a good idea at first cause it was something new, but then it just dragged on. The series even ended pretty stupidly to IMO. I haven’t read the Legacy series, but I guess they bring the sith back.

While it’s not strictly science fiction,more leaning towards the fantasy genre,Michael Moorcock is also a worthwhile read.

The Hyperion series is also pretty good:

Hyperion
Fall of Hyperion
Endymion
Rise of Endymion

Ursula K. LeGuin is a pretty good science fiction author.

If you’re into the more fantasy thing, “A song of ice and fire” seires by George RR Martin are amazing.

this is also on the book recomendation thread.
http://baen.com/ read sample chapters from lots of books.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
Ursula K. LeGuin is a pretty good science fiction author.

If you’re into the more fantasy thing, “A song of ice and fire” seires by George RR Martin are amazing.[/quote]

Holy smokes! How could I forget LeGuin?

Earthsea series
The Dispossessed
The Lathe of Heaven
The Left Hand of Darkness

Another series:
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson

Ender’s Game is one of my all time favorites (I am with you PushMe)

I like William Gibson’s stuff

I like CJ Cherryh’s space stuff

if you like fantasy, I do like George R. R. Martin and Guy Gavriel Kay

[quote]jayski wrote:
Backlash79 wrote:
Himora22 wrote:
Star Wars! There are many, many great Star Wars books…

Shadows of the Empire
Heir to the Empire trilogy
Rouge Squadron
Republic Commando
The Jedi Academy Trilogy
The New Jedi Order
Darksaber
The Black Fleet Crisis

I could go on and on?Vader can vouch for me

Some of these that Mimora mentioned are great but I did NOT like The New Jedi Order, I used to be a rabid reader of all the Star Wars books but this really killed my interest.

Same here, the new jedi order was a good idea at first cause it was something new, but then it just dragged on. The series even ended pretty stupidly to IMO. I haven’t read the Legacy series, but I guess they bring the sith back.

[/quote]

Meh, I think the first half of the New Jedi Order was great. But after Star by Star the only books really worth reading were Enemy Lines I&II and the three Force Heretic Books. But once you have gotten that far can you really leave them unfinished?

But the new Legacy of the Force books are good for the most part. Aaron Allston does a good job and Karen Traviss has become my 2nd fav SW author behind Timothy Zahn. She has single handedly saved the Clone Wars for me. Even if your not a SW fan I recommend picking up her Republic Commando books(soon to be Imperial Commando).

Sadly Troy Dennings work on the Legacy of the Force books were some what week but still not bad reads. This series of books really sets up the events that leads to what happens in the Legacy comics.

Sry I like Star Wars =)

[quote]enrac wrote:
The Hyperion series is also pretty good:

Hyperion
Fall of Hyperion
Endymion
Rise of Endymion[/quote]

Not just good. Great.

Also look at Ilium by the same author (Dan Simmons) - a sci-fi take on the Iliad by Homer. Quite impressive.

The Simmons is good, no doubt. But really, I have to re-recommend Gene Wolfe’s stuff. You’ll find yourself thinking over the series of Sun books long after finishing them. He really is Sci-fi’s greatest. Bar none.

Some of it’s fantasy, some of it’s sci-fi, it’s all good shit.

First, “Hummingbird” by Walter Tevis. A rarely acknowledged classic.

“The Last Song of Sirit Byar”, by Peter S. Beagle. One of the greatest genre short stories ever written.

“Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said”
“The Man in the High Castle”
“Dr. Bloodmoney”
“The World That Jones Made” and others by Philip K. Dick. Hallucinogenic prose combined with piercing satire and bold ideas make for an intoxicating cocktail.

The First Law Trilogy by Joe R. Abercrombie. Cracking good noir fantasy with great characters, ripping dialogue, blood-pumping battle scenes and a plot that doesn’t meander even across 1500+ pages. I couldn’t put any of the three books down.

“Eisenhorn” and the Gaunt’s Ghosts series by Dan Abnett. Just because it’s based off a tabletop game doesn’t mean the man can’t write; and oh, how he does.

Posleen War/Legacy of the Aldenaata series (particularly “A Hymn Before Battle”) by John Ringo. Military sci-fi; a race of centauroid cannibal morons billions strong invades earth, and it’s up to a crack team of soldiers in powered armor suits to fend them off. Great good fun and I hope like hell they make into a movie.

When it comes to the SW books I really like Kevin J Anderson, Timothy Zahn, Aaron Allston.

Some of my fave SW books:
The Truce at Bakura
X-wing series
The Thrawn Trilogy
The Jedi Academy Trilogy
I, Jedi
The New Rebellion
The Hand of Thrawn Duology

I’ll x4 Ender’s Game! I have read it every year for probably the last ten years or more.

Also the Ender’s Shadow series is amazing. The original book has it’s own series but there’s a spin off series (Shadow) that I like much better.

I read them all every summer and I can’t wait for the next one to come out.

I’ll also recommend Dune by Frank Hebert

I like a lot of the Star Wars books although I haven’t read the new Jedi order (my brother swears by them). some of the ones I liked were Dark Lord, Shadows of the Empire, Outbound Flight, and Death Star.

Yeah, I’ll second Dune, Ender’s Game, and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. All great.

My particular favorite recently is the Watch series by Sergei Lukyanenko. Good action, good twists, and an interesting exploration of two important philosophical viewpoints.

I love books that take after video games, movies, or tv shows.

Starcraft (pc) series
Halo (xbox) series, they have a lot of books now.
Gears of War (xbox) released a book that was a prequal to the video game.

Starwars has excellent books, and so does Star Trek.

Alien & Alien Vs. Predator books were good.

Mechwarrior and Starfist.

Look into Feersum Endjiin books too.

Im a big science and fantasy fiction guru

So many ideas! Thanks everyone.
I’m taking my time looking up all these books to get a better idea of the story line, and will be visiting Barnes & Noble this weekend.
BTW, I HAVE read Ender’s Game and thoroughly enjoyed it.