Science Fiction Authors

Vonnegut and Hienlein

can’t be a list of sci-fi authors without some of the masters. David Webber, Gordon R. Dickson, David Drake, Poul Anderson, Ben Bova, C.J. Cherryh, Roger Zelazny, Fred Saberhagen, Spider Robinson, Jerry Pournelle, Andre Norton, Mercedes Lackey, and Elizabeth Moon to name a few. if you want to read some of their works and others free

charles stross. singularity sky especially

[quote]silverblood wrote:
can’t be a list of sci-fi authors without some of the masters. David Webber, Gordon R. Dickson, David Drake, Poul Anderson, Ben Bova, C.J. Cherryh, Roger Zelazny, Fred Saberhagen, Spider Robinson, Jerry Pournelle, Andre Norton, Mercedes Lackey, and Elizabeth Moon to name a few. if you want to read some of their works and others free

http://www.baen.com/[/quote]

Fella!!! it is like you tore my book list from my head.

I do love all those along with what was also mentioned, “Ender’s Game” which is such a great book. I do love that book.

Cherryh, I love the “Gate series”. Love em!

I would also like to add Melanie Rawn with the Sun Runner series.

Also try out Jennifer Roberson.

AND, … I am sure you know George R R Martin is finishing up the series this year.

Have you ever read Guy Gavriel Kay? He is a beautiful writer and I really have enjoyed everything he has written.

Good list, but whatever you do DON’T look at the Baen book covers!!

[quote]Nards wrote:

Good list, but whatever you do DON’T look at the Baen book covers!![/quote]
yeah. some of them are pretty strange, like the one for March Upcountry. they do have a lot of my favorite authors though and their site will let you get a taste of the best out there.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

Fella!!! it is like you tore my book list from my head.

I do love all those along with what was also mentioned, “Ender’s Game” which is such a great book. I do love that book.

Cherryh, I love the “Gate series”. Love em!

I would also like to add Melanie Rawn with the Sun Runner series.

Also try out Jennifer Roberson.

AND, … I am sure you know George R R Martin is finishing up the series this year.

Have you ever read Guy Gavriel Kay? He is a beautiful writer and I really have enjoyed everything he has written.[/quote]
my favorite by Cherryh is the Chanur series because of the viewpoint it’s written from. also CJ Cherryh, Jane S. Fancher, and Lynn Abbey have formed a publishing house and she will autograph her books if you mail them to her with return postage.
I’ve never read Guy Gavriel Kay but I’ll check him out. always looking for new stuff.

Simon R. Green is one you need to try. sci-fi and fantasy. several series that have the crossover factor working. just read “Something from the Nightside” and you’ll be hooked.

Alan Dean Foster hasen’t been mentioned yet and he’s as good as any out there. some of his series: the Commonwealth, Pip and Flix, Icerigger, Spellsinger, the Damned. some novels: The Mocking Program, Primal Shadows, and Quozl.

the authors that got me into reading.
Edgar Rice Burroughs is best know for Tarzan but John Carter of Mars in the Barsoom Series got me into Sci-fi. he influenced so many writters.
Robert A. Heinlein was called “the dean of science fiction writers”. got that right!
Isaac Asimov’s Foundation Series rates as one of the best ever
Arthur C. Clarke is best known for 2001: a Space Odyssey but my favorites by him are Rendevous with Rama and The Fountains of Paradise

Alan Dean Foster hasen’t been mentioned yet and he’s as good as any out there. some of his series: the Commonwealth, Pip and Flix, Icerigger, Spellsinger, the Damned. some novels: The Mocking Program, Primal Shadows, and Quozl.
[/quote]

The Spellsinger series was a good collection up to a point. It expanded my jaunt into reading fantasy, though.

One book by Foster I really liked which was a little sci-fi with a horror twist was “Into the Out Of”. Still remains one of my favorites.

[quote]APB wrote:

[quote]Stern wrote:

[quote]Cimmerian wrote:

[quote]Mad HORSE wrote:
And I wanted to add, sci-fi seems like the easiest genre to write. Research? Fuck that, I can make it up as I go along![/quote]

Hah, I think Frank Herbert might disagree with you there.
[/quote]

hehe, agreed.

The Dune universe still, in my opinion, remains the most lushly realised world I’ve stepped in to date. His inclusion and handling of philosophy, religion, ecology, economy, prophecy, nobility, politics, substance abuse, becoming a man (sorry, becoming a God)…and countless others are just so rich in detail and thought, it brings me back to it every few years.

Well, the first three books at least. ;p[/quote]

Besides the original what books from the Dune universe would people recommend? I have heard that there are a crap load and that the vary in quality considerably. [/quote]

Everything that Frank Herbert wrote and the two encyclopedias.

Contrary to what Amazon may claim there are no sequels by Herberts son.

None.

what.

so.

ever.