Schottenheimer FIRED!

SAN DIEGO - Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer was fired Monday night in a shocking move by team president Dean Spanos, who cited a “dysfunctional situation” between the coach and general manager A.J. Smith.

Less than a month after San Diego’s NFL-best 14-2 season was wrecked in a playoff loss to New England, Spanos cited the exodus of both coordinators and other assistants in firing Schottenheimer, who had a year left on his contact.

“The process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager,” Spanos said in a statement. “In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation.”

Did ANY of you guys see this coming, especially in SD?

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:

Did ANY of you guys see this coming, especially in SD?

Mufasa

[/quote]

Yes, many sportscasters were predicting this after the loss to the Patriots. Personally, I think they need a new GM, not a new coach.

Wow! I’m shocked the Chargers fired Marty now. I had expected it after the loss to the Patriots, but figured his job was safe for the next year.

I agree that AJ Smith is the one who should’ve been fired, not Marty.

[quote]Mod Laurie wrote:
Wow! I’m shocked the Chargers fired Marty now. I had expected it after the loss to the Patriots, but figured his job was safe for the next year.

I agree that AJ Smith is the one who should’ve been fired, not Marty.[/quote]

As someone in SD, I’m not shocked at all. This guy has how many years without finding a way to win a meaningful playoff game? The team this year had all the talent and was a laughingstock against the Pats. Add to that the coaching mess with the DC heading to Dallas, and you could see the handwriting on the wall.

At least you could here in Sandy Eggo. For those of us close to the team, it’s about time; Smith may be no jewel, but neither was Marty.

Schottenheimer is not a great coach. He’s a mediocre coach.

SD could use someone better.

what a dumb move

[quote]Professor Chaos wrote:
Yes, many sportscasters were predicting this after the loss to the Patriots. Personally, I think they need a new GM, not a new coach. [/quote]

Name one who thought he would get fired after they offered him the extension and had the press conference with him saying he’d stay on.

I thought he’d get fired at the end of the season (I wouldn’t have agreed with that move, however) but I heard this like 10 minutes ago and I was really surprised. It’s late in the game to find a great coach.

I am immediately thinking Parcells and Cowher. I know the thought with Cowher was that he’d take a year or two off and come back, but this is a championship team. Most people think Parcells is going to come back eventually in a managerial role, but how about winning a championship for ending his coaching career after that debacle with Tony Romo?

Yeah Parcells might come back but coming from a dallas cowboys fan viewpoint im glad hes gone. He made some stupid decisions in the season. Wade Phillips is a much better suit for the boys, I hope.

Marty’s poor playoff history is well known but to fire a coach after a 14-2 season is bizarre.

[quote]Dweezil wrote:

I am immediately thinking Parcells and Cowher. I know the thought with Cowher was that he’d take a year or two off and come back, but this is a championship team. Most people think Parcells is going to come back eventually in a managerial role, but how about winning a championship for ending his coaching career after that debacle with Tony Romo?[/quote]

Maybe Parcells, but no chance with Cowher.

Keep in mind that Pittsburgh was one year removed from actually winning the Championship, so the lure of S.D. as possibly being a championship team probably isn’t that strong with him.

Plus, he left possibly the best ownership in football for personal reasons to spend time with his daughters before they completely grow up, and because he felt like Pittsburgh was too far away from his home in North Carolina. If my Geography knowledge is correct, San Diego might not be his top choice, if he were to even consider coming back to coaching in the next couple years.

One name that hasn’t been mentioned much is Kirk Ferentz from Iowa. He has stated numerous times that he would only leave college for the perfect NFL job, one of which he mentioned was Pittsburgh. Maybe he’ll think about S.D.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Marty’s poor playoff history is well known but to fire a coach after a 14-2 season is bizarre.

[/quote]

Agreed. That really says alot about the state of professional sports.

I can just imagine how that conversation went.

“It was a great run Marty, but you failed to win us a Super Bowl in the four years as our head coach. So you’re fired. I know you went 14-2 this year but again, no Super Bowl. And that’s all that matters.”

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Dweezil wrote:

I am immediately thinking Parcells and Cowher. I know the thought with Cowher was that he’d take a year or two off and come back, but this is a championship team. Most people think Parcells is going to come back eventually in a managerial role, but how about winning a championship for ending his coaching career after that debacle with Tony Romo?

Keep in mind that Pittsburgh was one year removed from actually winning the Championship, so the lure of S.D. as possibly being a championship team probably isn’t that strong with him.

Plus, he left possibly the best ownership in football for personal reasons to spend time with his daughters before they completely grow up, and because he felt like Pittsburgh was too far away from his home in North Carolina. If my Geography knowledge is correct, San Diego might not be his top choice, if he were to even consider coming back to coaching in the next couple years.

One name that hasn’t been mentioned much is Kirk Ferentz from Iowa. He has stated numerous times that he would only leave college for the perfect NFL job, one of which he mentioned was Pittsburgh. Maybe he’ll think about S.D.[/quote]

I was trying to think of who they could go after – definitely late in the game to go after a name coach, but in their situation (i.e. good team, clicking offense and defense, loads of talent) it doesn’t seem they would take a flyer on an untried assistant coach or even necessarily a proven college coach with no NFL track record.

If you agree with that premise, who’s left? Essentially former NFL head coaches – Parcells and Cowher have been discussed. What about Jim Fassel (he did take NY to the Super Bowl, after all…)? On the next tier down, maybe Norv Turner, Denny Green, Steve Mariucci, Ray Rhodes? Any chance on convincing Vermeil to go to San Diego?

Speculate away.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
Bauer97 wrote:
Dweezil wrote:

One name that hasn’t been mentioned much is Kirk Ferentz from Iowa. He has stated numerous times that he would only leave college for the perfect NFL job, one of which he mentioned was Pittsburgh. Maybe he’ll think about S.D.

I was trying to think of who they could go after – definitely late in the game to go after a name coach, but in their situation (i.e. good team, clicking offense and defense, loads of talent) it doesn’t seem they would take a flyer on an untried assistant coach or even necessarily a proven college coach with no NFL track record.

If you agree with that premise, who’s left? Essentially former NFL head coaches – Parcells and Cowher have been discussed. What about Jim Fassel (he did take NY to the Super Bowl, after all…)? On the next tier down, maybe Norv Turner, Denny Green, Steve Mariucci, Ray Rhodes? Any chance on convincing Vermeil to go to San Diego?

Speculate away.[/quote]

I think Mooch is the only one that would be a realistic choice. Turner, Green and Rhodes are all average coaches.

I know Mooch didn’t do much in Detroit, but come on, it was Detroit. And as long as Millen is still around they are going to suck monkey balls.

Vermeil would be a great choice also but I don’t see him coming back.

But what the hell do I know?

[/quote]

i agree. it’s not like the chargers are ever going to do better than that.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:

Speculate away.[/quote]

I can’t stand Parcells, but everyone seems to think he’s an automatic ticket to the Super Bowl.

However, if the relationship between the S.D. GM and Schotty was dysfunctional, I can’t imagine it would be any better with Mr. My-Way-Or-The-Highway Parcells.

Although it’s taking a chance to go with an assistant, it’s just as much a chance to go with previous head coach. Not every previously successful head coach is successful at a new job, and not every previously un-proven coach remains a disappointment.

Is Chicago’s D-Coordinator, Rivera, still on the market?

As far as assistants go, he’d be my top choice. I just really don’t like any of the ‘available’ head coaches out there, besides Cowher, whom I don’t consider an available choice anyway.

For the people in North Carolina and in the know about the ACC:

Haven’t there been whisperings that the Tar Heels REALLY want Cowher, and that informal discussions have been going on?

Mufasa

Pete Carroll?

Pete Carroll?[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking.

Nick Saban?

(Okay…BAD joke…!)

Mufasa