T Nation

Schoolkids Send Lamb to Slaughter


#1

This is fricking ridiculous

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE58D3FP20090914?feedType=RSS&feedName=oddlyEnoughNews&pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

School gets a lamb as part of setting up a small farm to teach kids about farming and there is an outcry when they send it to slaughter.

At least the school did the right thing.


#2

i can picture a bunch of elementary school kids standing around the lamb and one by one they give him the thumbs down and then off with his head.

But really if the kids wanted the goat to die then let the goat die thats how farms work, they understood that but these other people dont


#3

[quote]acantare wrote:
i can picture a bunch of elementary school kids standing around the lamb and one by one they give him the thumbs down and then off with his head.[/quote]

lol


#4

Along the same lines of schools and slaughter, check out what happened yesterday night:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/15/samurai.sword.killing/

Doubt too many of those deaths happen these days.


#5

The kids seem to understand the purpose of raising farm animals better than all the protestors.


#6

These kids want to kill the lamb after “rearing” it?


#7

[quote]ds1973 wrote:
The kids seem to understand the purpose of raising farm animals better than all the protestors.[/quote]

Heh. These folks would’ve been horrified at our school’s little farm. Yep, we had FFA, and Agricultural electives.


#8

[b]“human rights campaigners worried about the emotional impact of Marcus’s death on the children.”

“a 14-member group of children aged 6 to 11 – voted 13-1 to have him killed.”[/b]

Seems like to me that the kids were fine with sending the lamb to slaughter…

[b]“The school defended the children’s decision, calling it educational.”

“The children have had a range of opportunities to discuss this issue, both in terms of the food cycle and the ethical aspect… It is important for everyone to move on from this issue, so the children can focus on their education.”[/b]

Good for the school not buckling under the pressure from the Animal/Human Rights Groups and parents…


#9

Another reason I hate Animal Rights activists “But opponents branded it heartless and cruel, with animal rights campaigners asking why Marcus could not have been used to teach the children about wool” fucking wool??!! Are you kidding me?


#10

Well the worse part of it all was they named the lamb!


#11

Sounds like this is work of the Evil Doers called PETA


#12

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
Well the worse part of it all was they named the lamb![/quote]

We had to name the pigs that we received to then use for our practicals, and besides they voted to kill him. Politicians always say it’s great to get kids involved in democracy.


#13

Where exactly do people think the shrink wrapped meat in their supermarkets comes from, that is what gets me.


#14

[quote]Alpinez wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:
Well the worse part of it all was they named the lamb!

We had to name the pigs that we received to then use for our practicals, and besides they voted to kill him. Politicians always say it’s great to get kids involved in democracy.[/quote]

But the pigs are dead before hand.

In my opinion if I name an animal it becomes something on it’s own and deserves to live. This may be the stupidest thing ever but just my thinking. If you get what I’m trying to say. I don’t think I could ever kill a animal. I hit a group of birds in my car once and almost cried…lame I know.

I’m not against what the kids did at all. There’s just something about getting attached to an animal once you name it.


#15

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
Alpinez wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:
Well the worse part of it all was they named the lamb!

We had to name the pigs that we received to then use for our practicals, and besides they voted to kill him. Politicians always say it’s great to get kids involved in democracy.

But the pigs are dead before hand. So it doesn’t really count.

In my opinion if I name an animal it becomes something on it’s own and deserves to live. This may be the stupidest thing ever but just my thinking. If you get what I’m trying to say. I don’t think I could ever kill a animal. I hit a group of birds in my car once and almost cried…lame I know.

I’m not against what the kids did at all. There’s just something about getting attached to an animal once you name it.[/quote]

His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson.


#16

Gordon Ramsey does this on his show the F Word all the time. He picks a type of animal he wants and raises them and sends them to slaughter. While it is tough to see these animals get killed, you feel better knowing they lived a healthier and better life being raised by Gordon at his house, The Beckham’s mansion, or Janet Street Porter’s farm than they would at a huge farm where profit is the only concern and the animal’s well being is placed lastly on these people’s list of things to do.

Whereas the well-being of the animal is top priority being raised with Gordon or these school children. That is the purpose of free range grass-fed beef and other animals of that nature, your essentially paying for the higher quality meat and for the overall well-being of these animals.


#17

[quote]NinjaTreeFrog wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:
Alpinez wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:
Well the worse part of it all was they named the lamb!

We had to name the pigs that we received to then use for our practicals, and besides they voted to kill him. Politicians always say it’s great to get kids involved in democracy.

But the pigs are dead before hand. So it doesn’t really count.

In my opinion if I name an animal it becomes something on it’s own and deserves to live. This may be the stupidest thing ever but just my thinking. If you get what I’m trying to say. I don’t think I could ever kill a animal. I hit a group of birds in my car once and almost cried…lame I know.

I’m not against what the kids did at all. There’s just something about getting attached to an animal once you name it.

His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson.[/quote]

In death, a member of Project Mayhem has a name. His name is Robert Paulson.


#18

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
In my opinion if I name an animal it becomes something on it’s own and deserves to live. This may be the stupidest thing ever but just my thinking. [/quote]

I watched a documentary about cold mountain Army units that get either one rabbit or one chicken to eat for a seven day stay atop a very snowy mountain. The first piece of advice is to never name the animal before it is killed. Some troops named the animal and began to have a conversation with it, like it was talking back to them asking questiona and responsing to what the animal said in return. The majority of these guys ended up not eating their animal until the person running the training came over and watched them kill and eat the animal some were extremely teary-eyed.


#19

[quote]polo77j wrote:
NinjaTreeFrog wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:
Alpinez wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:
Well the worse part of it all was they named the lamb!

We had to name the pigs that we received to then use for our practicals, and besides they voted to kill him. Politicians always say it’s great to get kids involved in democracy.

But the pigs are dead before hand. So it doesn’t really count.

In my opinion if I name an animal it becomes something on it’s own and deserves to live. This may be the stupidest thing ever but just my thinking. If you get what I’m trying to say. I don’t think I could ever kill a animal. I hit a group of birds in my car once and almost cried…lame I know.

I’m not against what the kids did at all. There’s just something about getting attached to an animal once you name it.

His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson.

In death, a member of Project Mayhem has a name. His name is Robert Paulson.[/quote]

Thank you for getting that. I read what I posted just after I wrote it and was concerned that I came off as being more than a little crazy.


#20

[quote]aznt0rk wrote:
These kids want to kill the lamb after “rearing” it?[/quote]

Sounds like a Scottish thing to do. “Rear it” :slight_smile: