School Textbook Nutrition Quote

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:

And THIS is why nutritionists should have to fucking take biochemistry. I don’t even know how one would go about drawing some of those conclusions…
[/quote]

And that is exactly why I started taking biochemistry. I was/am into nutrition and sports performance, but looking at the retards in “nutrition” “dietetics” or what-have-you made me think they actually had no real idea about science. Strangely enough, my high school aged first instinct remains correct to this day. I originally made the call to do biochem because I wanted a solid chemical understanding of what was happening in nutrition (and b/c of genetics).

[quote]Bunyip wrote:
silverhydra wrote:

• ‘High protein intake may contribute to bone loss and kidney disease’

Isn’t it true that if you don’t consume enough calcium with a high protein intake that your body will take calcium from your bones to help process the protein?[/quote]

technically…but the amount is something like the equivalent of what 1 teaspoon of milk provides. Absolutely nothing to worry about. We also have to remember the population that these studies were done on (elderly, sick and/or sedentary people). Besides, if you’re not taking a multi-vitamin and eating proper you’re stupid anyways (plural you, not you personally).

[quote]the_gunner wrote:
The problem with proposing any ‘fact’ in regards to metabolism is that its just too hard to prove. As you can clearly see though, the urea cycle provides pyruvate and acetyl CoA for the creation of fatty acids. Its just that some amino acids have a higher propensity for conversion to fatty acids than others. Its only logical to assume that excess in ANY for of energy intake will cause it to be stored in the form of fat. What do you think happens to excess amino acids in the blood stream, that they just go right into the muscle tissue and instantly become muscle fibers? The blood stream can only hold so many amino acids and once that limit is reached the conversion to fat will be begin. That being said, it probably takes a lot of excess protein for that to happen.[/quote]

That’s true, and it does happen, but it is energetically unfavorable compared the conversions from carbs/fat intake. Besides, the nitrogen pool provides a reservoir for use. I think it is more likely that protein use/turnover will chase protein intake to a large degree, much like Berardi has pointed out that general metabolism chases. However, it is something to consider when doing strict dieting–Thibs has said a few times that if protein intake is too high it can actually hurt fat loss or water retention. That’s usually in connection with stage-preparation level dieting though, more so than 8% bf level.

[quote]ZeroSleep wrote:

What’s your take on the Urea Cycle? My professor tells me scientists think that might be one of the leading reasons some people develop Rheumatism.[/quote]

Interesting. I remember hearing about that in passing quite a while ago, but I’ve never really dug into it because most of my studies and research efforts were not geared towards that area. I may have to do some reading up.