School Rugby Team's Program

Hey, my high school rugby team sent me their off-season weightlifting program, and needless to say it is a pretty sad attempt at a TBT program.

Here it is

Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Dips-1xFailure
Pullups-1xFailure
V-Ups-1xFailure
Squats-1x10
Bent-Over Row-1x10
Crunches-1xFailure
Leg Press-1x10
Hammer Curl-1x10

Any ideas on what I should say to the rugby coach, articles supporting what I should say would be appreciated. Thanks

dont say anything and just do extra work

Tough situation you’re finding yourself in, dude. No balance, no direct posterior chain work, I hope it’s not HIT-style,… (do some research on these aspects, it’s pretty easy to find some decent articles about this on T-Nation and on the sports training section of elitefts.com) Are you supposed to do these workouts on your own or with the rest of your team?

I don’t know how you plan to confront your coach but I suggest you hear him out a bit on his reasoning behind this workout first. Ask a lot of questions. See what he knows and what he should know. Try to find out what he values the most in a rugby player in general and in a strength program in particualr. This way the risk of being snubbed by your coach will be less, and the information you give him will be more to the point.

Two more or less fundamental articles:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/balance.htm

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/lifts_for_football.htm

Yeah, it is done HIT-Style, I really don’t think my school knows anything about physical training.

No point saying anything tbh. Just ignore it and do your own thing.

they aint going to change their program…

just do it and then more work after/before on different days

if they sent it to you? does that mean your doing it by yourself?

if so, just disregard it and do your own.

[quote]thosebananas wrote:

if so, just disregard it and do your own.[/quote]

Agreed, it depends on how open or approachable the coach is!

Its a pretty terrible off season program

[quote]Wayland wrote:
thosebananas wrote:

if so, just disregard it and do your own.

Agreed, it depends on how open or approachable the coach is!

Its a pretty terrible off season program

[/quote]

We’re supposed to do it a rugby practice, I’ll talk to the coach about letting me do the program I’ve chosen out.

Wayland, are you wayland from the worldwidejam forums?

Edit: read your profile, nice articles on WWJ

Rugby fitness programmes given out by coaches are terrible 90% of the time in my experience. Only problem in objecting is making you look like a dick for not doing what everyone else is doing. Plus if you do the prog half assed the coach may notice that.

The ‘fitness’ we have to do isnt great, but I tend to just get on and do it. In fact its so bad that it makes no noticeable difference to my gym performance.

I wouldn’t say anything just do the program whenever you have to/are being monitored and stop one to two reps before failure (do a bit of acting if necessary), and then do your own thing at other times

If it makes you feel any better, Inside Sport reported that Timana Tahu’s program consisted of DB shrugs, Dips, Lateral Raises and - wait for it - Pilates for his legs! (To avoid injury). 2 x 45 min sessions per week.

This is either BS - or the real reason he was dropped from the Wallabies side to contest the Tri-Nations/Bledisloe against NZ this weekend…