T Nation

School Kids Made to Fight.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090320/twl-teachers-forced-pupils-into-cage-fig-3fd0ae9.html

How can this even happen in schools these days?

If I could fight some people who have been pissing me off lately, I totally would.

That’s fucking awful, although, there are some kids from my high school who I would have enjoyed hitting in the face haha.

Those teachers should be sent to prison. They’ll learn all about fighting in there.

Oh I wish. I would love to show some people a thing or two without any consequences.

Like this fellow <5’4" kid… except he is obese and thinks he’s tough. Wearing tapout crap all the time… always calling me gay for wrestling… always picking on my girl for her religion… just always being a prick… and always finding a way to find a teacher just in time before I beat the shit out of him.

This is obviously taking things way too far, but in general I think they should reduce the penalties for fighting at school, especially with the younger kids.

Fighting is just a natural way of blowing off steam, and the vast majority of the time when I got in fights no matter who won either me and the other kid became friends, or at least we steared clear of each other.

Of course that teaches the leason that violence actually does solve problems sometimes (the horror!)

I can’t help but wonder if this isn’t just some British Tabloid bullshit that got blowed way out of proportion.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
This is obviously taking things way too far, but in general I think they should reduce the penalties for fighting at school, especially with the younger kids.

Fighting is just a natural way of blowing off steam, and the vast majority of the time when I got in fights no matter who won either me and the other kid became friends, or at least we steared clear of each other.

Of course that teaches the leason that violence actually does solve problems sometimes (the horror!)

I can’t help but wonder if this isn’t just some British Tabloid bullshit that got blowed way out of proportion.[/quote]

Maybe you should have spent less time fighting, and more time paying attention in English class.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:

I can’t help but wonder if this isn’t just some British Tabloid bullshit that got blowed way out of proportion.

Maybe you should have spent less time fighting, and more time paying attention in English class.[/quote]

I stand by my horrible gammar.

I find this hilarious and difficult to see in any other light.

Uncle, I support your unwavering stance. Stay strong in whatever choices you make, haha.

sooooomething tells me theres a lot being left out of this story

like idk, TONS OF PADDING

i mean if their school has a cage (wtf?) im guessing they have the equipment for it as well.

the only kid with any noticeable injuries had a swollen hand, not a busted lip, not a broken nose, not missing teeth.

i srill dont think it is a good means of problem solving as all it does is teach kids to resolve their anger by fighting rather than other means, since boxing or MMA is a sport where the objective isnt to get mad at the person its to beat them. a street fight is about violent agression which is more replicated in this scenario than the former.

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:
Oh I wish. I would love to show some people a thing or two without any consequences.

Like this fellow <5’4" kid… except he is obese and thinks he’s tough. Wearing tapout crap all the time… always calling me gay for wrestling… always picking on my girl for her religion… just always being a prick… and always finding a way to find a teacher just in time before I beat the shit out of him.[/quote]

didnt you have some posts on here a year or so ago about fighting?

Its part of a government program to reduce wimpiness in the upcoming generation. See, but our current wimpiness is obstructing this attempt to reduce wimpiness its a wimpiness conundrum of epic proportions.

I dont think fighting is bad, its completely natural, like hugging or sex, violence has a purpose in society, the only reason its seen as a bad thing is because society is becoming more and more vaginized

I love fighting every now and then, its in the fiber of humans to want to dominate another person, I believe thats one of the roots of mental illness-to much pent up aggression- people usually never act aggressively to avoid societal retribution, and in some cases the temptation to lash out becomes so bottled up that horrific things happen (killing sprees,rapings)

So the solution to end violence or to limit the severity is allowing pwople to fight

Shit. That reads like a bad sequel to The Substitute.

“In the latest straight to video blockbuster, an undercover mercenary must investigate mysterious happenings at a Dallas High School. Kids roam the halls with cauliflower ears and swollen hands. Rumors abound but the faculty is strangely silent. It is up to him to get to the bottom of it. Tom Berenger is, the Substitute.”

I am unconvinced this is true. Often news stories are fabricated. I remember 2005 when there was a story of a mouse that caught on fire, ran into a house, set windows drapes on fire and the house burned down - that mouse would have had to possess hair like a 5 minute fuse on dynamite.

When I was in 5th grade, my teacher (Mr.Hacker) made Marc and I sit facing our desks toward each other and kick each other non-stop for some specified period of time - 1 minute or 2 minutes or something. We had been kicking each other in class, and that was the punishment.

But there is no way this went on for 2 years without someone raising a stink about it before. Parents fuss if someone talks rough to their precious little jimmy.

I call BS

Actually, this happening at South Oak Cliff high school does not surprise me AT ALL. If you know that area (I grew up near there, thankfully not in that neighborhood), you would understand that this is a very plausible news story.

This is far, far from the worst thing that goes on in Oak Cliff, I can assure you.

Urban Dictionary has a pretty good idea of what to expect while in Oak Cliff:

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:

I can’t help but wonder if this isn’t just some British Tabloid bullshit that got blowed way out of proportion.[/quote]

Yeah I did think this at first, that sort of why i posted it. If it was as bad as it reads it would of been on your national news right?

Tho if it is for real its fucked up… sure there were and are people i would of liked to do this with (heck i met one last night) but still, think its more for the teachers entertainment than any benifit for the pupils.

If this would have happened in my school district, heads would have rolled big time and it would have been a very BIG DEAL. So how accurate was this, and if it was real it would have been next to a miracle happening to make it go away.

We all fought as kids, I got my ass kicked and kicked lots of ass back. After a while most kids get better at it.

By the time I got to high school, I had very few fights but they were beauties when I did.

To a point, I see it as a good thing as a playground justice tool. If kids can learn to settle differences with a little shoving back and forth, they won’t have to fall back on bringing a gun in to do the same.

BG

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:

didnt you have some posts on here a year or so ago about fighting? [/quote]

Quite possibly. lol

I don’t really remember though

Edit: I didn’t look through all my posts but I did post in threads about fighting. I was an ass when I first joined these forums.