School - I'm $%@#ed

My friend, college isn’t supposed to be easy. It’s hard, it sucks, but it’s worth it. If you are interested in nutrition, exercise, fitness, there are plenty of programs for that. Do what you like and are interested in, NOT what you think will pay the most.

I studied Exercise Science for 3 years and realized that it wasn’t for me. All the chemistry, zoology and physics classes were WAY over my head. I was a natural writer so I switched to English my senior year and did much better.

The key is to figure out what excites you and go for it. However, there is no way around the core classes in math and history and english.

He’s in high school not college…

Man, this is where fate is leading you! Rather than having a boring life in some office, you’re being directed here, to defend the greatest country in the history of the world.

Dude… all I gotta say is there is no class or test you can’t cheat your way through if you put your mind to it. I can’t say I’ve done it too often, but I’ve seen some stone-cold idiots pass classes by just constantly cheating.

Find a smart kid in the class you are struggling in and befriend him. Either he’ll help you cheat or help you learn. Either way you’re good.

[quote]dennis3k wrote:
There’s really no such thing as someone who’s genetically better at a given subject [/quote]

While I agree that working on skill can make one improve monstruosly, I also disagree with this sentence. Just as there is a difference in genetics in regard to bodybuilding and sporting matters, there is also a difference in genetics in regarding to mental quickness and memory. That’s rather undeniable.

[quote]Imen de Naars wrote:
dennis3k wrote:
There’s really no such thing as someone who’s genetically better at a given subject

While I agree that working on skill can make one improve monstruosly, I also disagree with this sentence. Just as there is a difference in genetics in regard to bodybuilding and sporting matters, there is also a difference in genetics in regarding to mental quickness and memory. That’s rather undeniable.
[/quote]

Men are better at math than women.

Hope I don’t get fired for that.

[quote]Imen de Naars wrote:
dennis3k wrote:
There’s really no such thing as someone who’s genetically better at a given subject

[/quote]

Totally agree. Some people are gifted. You can see that in professional musicians (like classically trained pianists, not rock stars) or mathmaticians or writers. Some people just have a natural ability to do things.

I can study math for the rest of my life and not even hold a candle my buddy who is a nuclear engineer and holds masters and doctorate degrees in math. He is a natural.

Music composers can “see” musical notes in thier mind. Writers can formulate entire novels in their head without even putting a single word on paper.

I do believe that everyone has a gift. You may not like your gift, you might not even know what your gift is, but it’s there. Discover it, embrace it and go with it.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Imen de Naars wrote:
dennis3k wrote:

Men are better at math than women.

Hope I don’t get fired for that.
[/quote]

another reason to keep taking your T! Of course, if the OP is in high school, this isn’t an option.

How about Spike on exam days?

[quote]PGA wrote:
He’s in high school not college…[/quote]

High school?!! Good lord. He didn’t say he was in High School. Study, do your homework, realise you are not as smart as you think, and get it over with. H.S. is a bare minimum for life. It ain’t hard.

Look. Life is simple. If you work hard you should do well. The harder I have worked, the “luckier” I seemed to become. If working hard doesn’t get it done for you, face the fact that you are just stupid and adjust to it.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[/quote]

How about he just stops being a whiny teenager, sucks it up and realizes at 16 he doesn’t know shit?

[quote]PGA wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

How about he just stops being a whiny teenager, sucks it up and realizes at 16 he doesn’t know shit?[/quote]

Yep!

Dude, I joined the Army straight out of highschool because I was tired of going to school. My enlistment required six years of service. I’m not ripping on the military, it has had a large effect on my life, mainly positive.

But after being in the military, going to class everyday is a breeze. When classmates bitch about going to class or doing homework, I remember sitting in the middle of the desert and working 18-20 hour days through sandstorms and unbearable heat. Nothing I have done in college has been hard, especially given the fact that everything is a choice…fuck, if I don’t want to go to class I don’t have to. Given the alternative, I enjoy class, even linear algebra…alright, not so much linear algebra.

Those in the service may be defending democracy, but it sure isn’t part of our rank system. Many people don’t realize what they have. If you’re really 16, you should be getting laid and enjoying life…you’ll have the rest of your life to hate what you do.

Maybe after highschool you’ll sign up for the military…just pick a job you can do for two years instead of six, and when you get out you’ll appreciate the opportunity to go to school that much more.

Fuck, school is easy as shit. High school was annoying, but easy, college is easy. Pay attention during class, then go home and reinforce whatever you went over in class by reading the related material. Don’t take notes during class, it just distracts your mind from absorbing and understanding what’s being said in class.

I’m 2nd year university right now, and when I think back to the high school days, there was virtually no stress at all. If I was in your position, just get your act together as far as homework and studying goes. The encouragement and relationship I had with my high school teachers is what I really miss.

You’d have to be stupid not to take advantage of the opportunities to get help. I know the teachers are usually there for 45 mins after the bell rings for the day, and that amount of time is all might take to get your marks up, or gain a better understanding of the material.

Dude, you just described LIFE. You will spend your whole life doing things you don’t like, things that are hard, things that suck. You will listen to people’s theories that don’t make sense, you will learn to defend your opinions while maintaining the respect of those who disagree with you.

School may be hard for you, but that makes you tougher, and makes success sweet.

First, you have to stop thinking your subject are stupid, suck, whatever. Even if they do, learn it all. Absorb everything that is taught and said like a sponge. Think about it: you can’t disagree with something if you contain very little or no knowledge about the subject. No one will even listen to you.
If you think something is crap, study all the harder so that when it is time, you can defend yourself intelligently.

If you get in the right frame of mind, decide that you will learn it, and work hard, you will get through it no problem.

Do like Prof. said, do the work before that class. Mark the crap out of your books. Decide that this is what you have to do, and then do it.

Like everything else, if its easy, its worthless.

Dude,

I’m in my second semester of college, as an accounting major with a minor in U.S. History. During the semester, my life consists of school, work, lifting, and my girlfriend: that’s it.Life ain’t easy. Believe me, I’ve had more bad shit in my life than most any other 19 year old around here. Just get act together, study, and if you’re a nerd, fucking embrace it.

High school is easy shit compared to college.

As other people have already said, if you hate school that much, get a construction job, or join the military like my cousin did.

Hit the books, study and do work

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Kreal7 wrote:
It may seem like other people instantly get chemistry and math, but I assure you this is not the case. I’ve found part of learning that sorta stuff is struggling through it first, then getting help if you don’t figure it out. There is no shame in meeting with your teacher, that is what they are there for. Most teachers like if you show effort and a desire to understand the material.

I read ahead of the teacher. Class was a review of what I had already been over. I think some people underestimate the effort it takes to do well. Even though, looking back, I sometimes wish I had enjoyed myself more in college, the truth is, I worked and studied harder than most people. While my roommates were playing video games and skipping classes, I was often studying in the music building or the science building. I remember spending the week before classes started my freshman year reading the first chapter of all of my textbooks because I was that afraid of fucking up…because the only thing I truly fear is complete failure.

It all comes down to how badly you want to do well and thinking these classes are a waste of time is NOT a good way to approach that mentally. I am also interested in how the OP is so convinced that he knows more than his professor. While we have all had ridiculous professors, the key to doing well is simply playing the game while in the class. Who the fuck cares if the teacher contradicts the textbook? If contradicting the textbook along with him helps you get a fucking “A” in the class, then get to contradicting.

Why go out the Sunday before an exam when you know you aren’t ready for the test?

Why wait until the night before to cram everything in at once?

Why ignore what people who are actually doing well in those classes are doing?

Why not get a tutor?

In all honesty, those grades are going to follow you for the rest of your life unless you go to higher level of education (grad school) after college. It is worth putting the time in even if that means missing some things.

English class isn’t useless. You can look at this site and see that many people actually needed to be paying attention more in some of those.

If takes being a nerd to do well, be a fucking nerd. They’ll be the ones running the companies 10 years down the road anyway.[/quote]

Bro take it from Prof X, that’s probably some of the best advice you’re gonna get for school.

Westdale warrior eh? Do you go to McMaster?

Great advice on here.
Just try to excel in your strong points, and not your weak points.
I’m sure if you started studying subjects that interest you, college will be much easier. And I still think that High School is much harder.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
Great advice on here.
Just try to excel in your strong points, and not your weak points.
I’m sure if you started studying subjects that interest you, college will be much easier. And I still think that High School is much harder.
[/quote]

I think they both have their easy and hard points. HS is harder in the sense that its more annoying: all the rules, things you can’t do. I know with my University classes, I can prop my feet on the table, eat a burrito, and skip if wanted [not that I do any these :P]

College is harder in terms of workload, and the way it works. No mercy, you’re an adult. Large papers, lots of reading, and the way you answer Q’s are different. You go from being ‘fact’ based to being ‘critical thinking based, plus facts’.

With all that said, I prefer college. So much freedom, and its not hard if you just do the work.