Scholarship Short Essay

Ok, so I’m filling out my NROTC scholarship application online. Things are going pretty well. Then, it happened. The moment I was most fearing, as I clicked the “next” button at the bottom of the page…

Short Essays! This may not sound like a big deal, and in general, you’re right. However, there is one question, one, demonly question that continues to haunt my efforts to succeed. This is the “What is you greatest accomplishment?” question. Unfortunately for me, I didn’t make very good choices during my high school career. I have never been a part of any organizations or clubs. I have yet to be in any extra-curricular activities, although I plan to take swimming this year.

How do you think the Navy would want this question to be answered? Do they want to see something action oriented, or something dealing more with one’s inner-self? Most of my accomplishments have been internal rather than external, so this question is difficult and intimidating for me. After all, is it not more important what I WILL accomplish rather than what I HAVE accomplished?

Make up some adversity that you have overcome. Drug addict parents, small testicles, ect.

I wrote about doing 20-rep squats and puking. And how it taught me that dedication and perseverence are very important.
And look at me now. I’m writing this post from a college dorm.

-Nate

Write what feels natural for you to write; if your accomplishments are internal, then describe them. You don’t necessarily have to create a cookie-cutter sports or class-related essay.

Tell them you worked for your own non-profit charity - you could call it something like…say…The Human Fund.

Tell them you boned the head (pun intended) cheerleader under the grandstands during half-time while the marching band was playing. If that doesn’t work tell them to mix Oatmeal and Chocolate Grow! together for the perfect breakfast cereal.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I’m pretty nervous about this scholarship. I hate having to put my life in the hands of others. That’s what college and scholarships are, giving up control.

[quote]Tadpole wrote:
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I’m pretty nervous about this scholarship. I hate having to put my life in the hands of others. That’s what college and scholarships are, giving up control.[/quote]

Ah, don’t worry, you’ll make it!

Good Luck!

Watch a classic episode of Popeye and then retell it as if it happened in your own life. The Navy will love that!

Then send a tape of yourself singing “In the Navy” by the Village People. Don’t forget to dress up as one of the Village People. I recommend dressing as the Indian because most other applicants will probably dress up as the soldier; you want to be different.

If that doesn’t work, hey, I don’t know what to tell you.