Scheduling Question

A group of us are getting together twice a week to do some outdoor bootcamp style workouts. We do bodyweight lower body and core on Wednesday and bodyweight upper body and core on Saturday. Both days involve some distance work and some sprinting. I am thoroughly enjoying being outside with my buddies and the peer pressure is very beneficial to my effort. However, I still want to get in the gym. Any suggestions on scheduling and or type of workouts I should try to do to supplement the bootcamp stuff? Thank you in advance for your suggestion and comments.

Well first off what are your goals? What routines have you followed in the past? Are you recovering well from each of the Weds and Saturday sessions?

My main goal is to lean up, but I don’t mind putting on some good weight at the same time, if that is even possible. I seem to be recovering okay , except some soreness in my legs from the road work. My main cardio has been treadmill or elliptical related. Hopefully I’ll eventually get used to running.
We’ve been following a one body part per day type split for the last few weeks and I’ve been supplementing it with some traedmill and jumprope work.

Sure, you could do Upper strength work on Tues (so it doesn’t interfere with Wed lower body conditioning work), and Lower strength work on Friday (same idea).

If you wanna do 5 days you could split upper into two workouts of push/pull or chest+back, delts+arms on Mon, Tues. Or you could stick to the 4 days and just add a “bodybuilding” day on Sunday to focus on weak points and iso work for lats, delts, arms, etc.

This feels like a vague goal. I’d like to give you two different scenarios now, one marginally stolen from Dan John:

Jim-Bob thinks he should do more pull-ups to improve at them because the internetz told him this was important.

Billy believes that he sucks at pull-ups because he can’t do 20 with perfect form. Why 20? Because when he was at school, that was how many he needed to max out the pull-up test. Why perfect? Why not? Billy decides to remedy this by his next birthday so he asks for some advice on how to increase his max number of pull-ups from 10 to 20 and is pointed towards a HFT pull-up program. He decides to dedicate himself to this for a month and then to step back and reassess. He lets people important to him know his goals so he has more to lose if he fails and regularly updates them on his progress.

Which of these two will have the higher pull-up numbers after 2 months?

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Sure, you could do Upper strength work on Tues (so it doesn’t interfere with Wed lower body conditioning work), and Lower strength work on Friday (same idea).

If you wanna do 5 days you could split upper into two workouts of push/pull or chest+back, delts+arms on Mon, Tues. Or you could stick to the 4 days and just add a “bodybuilding” day on Sunday to focus on weak points and iso work for lats, delts, arms, etc. [/quote]

Sounds good. Thanks for the reply.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
This feels like a vague goal. I’d like to give you two different scenarios now, one marginally stolen from Dan John:

Jim-Bob thinks he should do more pull-ups to improve at them because the internetz told him this was important.

Billy believes that he sucks at pull-ups because he can’t do 20 with perfect form. Why 20? Because when he was at school, that was how many he needed to max out the pull-up test. Why perfect? Why not? Billy decides to remedy this by his next birthday so he asks for some advice on how to increase his max number of pull-ups from 10 to 20 and is pointed towards a HFT pull-up program. He decides to dedicate himself to this for a month and then to step back and reassess. He lets people important to him know his goals so he has more to lose if he fails and regularly updates them on his progress.

Which of these two will have the higher pull-up numbers after 2 months?[/quote]

I’m smelling what you’re selling. Guess I need to work on my goal setting as well as my love handles.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

If you wanna do 5 days you could split upper into two workouts of push/pull or chest+back, delts+arms on Mon, Tues. Or you could stick to the 4 days and just add a “bodybuilding” day on Sunday to focus on weak points and iso work for lats, delts, arms, etc. [/quote]

nailed it, good post