T Nation

Scheduling Deads/Squats

For the last couple of months my leg workouts have consisted of squats and deads in the same session…doesn’t seem to be the most effective way to regain strength
Smith

Whats wrong with those exercises? They are 2 of the best possible exercises for legs.

yes they are two of the best…my question was more how to get them done on different days of the week without working with sore legs

[quote]jss11483 wrote:
yes they are two of the best…my question was more how to get them done on different days of the week without working with sore legs[/quote]

you’re not serious are you? man up dude

I used to be able to do them both heavy I would have an upper lower split Upper was horizontal and vertical tuesday/friday, the had squats monday, deads thursday. eat and get plenty of rest. Give two full days to recover.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
I used to be able to do them both heavy I would have an upper lower split Upper was horizontal and vertical tuesday/friday, the had squats monday, deads thursday. eat and get plenty of rest. Give two full days to recover.

Phill[/quote]

That is the split I am using now.

If you can’t do a squat variation and a deadlift variation in the same workout your work threshold is very poor. Plus the fact you can’t train while sore indicates poor recovery measures. Why can’t you train while you’re sore anyway?

I’ve done leg days alternating squats and deads but only for high rep endurance/lactic acid type workouts. Anyone who says you can go heavy and hard with both exercises on the same day needs to learn something about intensity. It’s not completely impossible but, why???

My squat form goes to hell after my posterior chain is burned out by deads. I can’t come close to the intensity I can apply when I do them alone. There are seven days in the week. You should have no trouble separating the two main lower body lifts by a couple days.

I usually do upper body horizontal with squats, and upper body vertical with deads. There are also many Westside templates that mix up heavy and dynamic work during the week.

Bottom line: If you’re doing full body workouts 3 times a week go ahead and combine them. If you want to go heavy with maximum effort on these big lifts, give yourself a few days between them for proper recovery.

Or you could go heavy on one and medium on the other but not to the point your form will be shit. One full squat workout and one almost full squat workout is better than just one.

Don’t be afraid to train while you’re still a bit sore, but your legs shouldn’t feel dead constantly. If they are…train more frequently little by little till they can recover more quickly.