Schedule 40 or 80 Homemade BB's

I am planning on making my own thick barbells for Benching an Delt Presses, In my research I found I need pipe with a 1-1/2 Inner Diameter with a 1.9 Outer Diameter, then the guy @ the iron supply asked if I needed Schedule 40 or Schedule 80. I know the higher the schedule # the heavier it is, but what about it?s strength. I ask mainly b/c of the price deference, the 80 is double the price of the 40. So basically what I am asking is the Schedule 40 going to be heavy duty enough to hold lodes of great weight, are should I opt for the schedule 80…

I have next to none with experiance with what strain can be placed on steel piping.

Any help is appreciated.

APE.

Then density of all steel is the same. So for identical dimensions, they have the same weight.

It’s not so much how much they weigh, but the ability to bear weight is what I am concerened about.

Lets use 300lbs as example,
the schedule 40 should be able to bear the 300lbs just as well as the schedule 80?

Thanks for the help also, it’s appreciated.

[quote]APE. wrote:
I am planning on making my own thick barbells for Benching an Delt Presses, In my research I found I need pipe with a 1-1/2 Inner Diameter with a 1.9 Outer Diameter[/quote]

1 1/2" A53 pipe is 1.9" diameter. Sch40 pipe has a 0.145" wall; sch80 pipe has a 0.200" wall. So if you really want a 1 1/2" inside diameter (per your first post), then you want sch80 pipe because 1.9-0.2-0.2 = 1.5.
I don’t know how much weight you lift, but I think the sch80 would be better.

If your really worried about handling a load get tubing and not pipe.

Like mentioned schedule 40 vs. schedule 80 has to do with the wall thickness of the pipe. bigger number equals thicker pipe.

However I would still suggest going with steel tubing as it is stronger then pipe

[quote]JNeves wrote:

Like mentioned schedule 40 vs. schedule 80 has to do with the wall thickness of the pipe. bigger number equals thicker pipe.

However I would still suggest going with steel tubing as it is stronger then pipe[/quote]

It depends on what type of tube you’re using. Most tube has a thinner wall than pipe. I don’t know how that would be stronger. For this application, pipe would be fine, less expensive, and easier to come by. If you can’t afford new pipe, try a junk or scrap yard or recycler. If you lived here where I live, I’d give you some scrap.

[quote]APE. wrote:
I am planning on making my own thick barbells for Benching an Delt Presses, APE.[/quote]

Sounds like you want a fat bar like the Appolon’s Axle. I have wanted to do the same thing, but it sounds like you have looked into it a little more.

What do you plan to use on the ends of the bars to keep the weights from sliding in toward your hands? (ie, the sleeve that holds the weights) I figured there must be some sort of collar that would slip over the bar, but I don’t know what to use.

[quote]JNeves wrote:

However I would still suggest going with steel tubing as it is stronger then pipe[/quote]

Actually, I would get solid round stock instead of either. It’ll be 11ish bucks a foot, but it’ll be strong as hell and pretty heavy. You don’t need the fancy stuff for drive shafts, either, the regular sold round stuff will do. Add a couple machine shaft collars and you have a barbell, albeit without rotating sleeves.

I’m going to do exactly this when I get back home this summer.

[quote]FamilyMan wrote:
What do you plan to use on the ends of the bars to keep the weights from sliding in toward your hands? (ie, the sleeve that holds the weights) I figured there must be some sort of collar that would slip over the bar, but I don’t know what to use.[/quote]

I have two older Weider 22lbs plates that a local welder said he can weld to the bar. We’ll just have to make sure to place them right so the it is evenly balanced.The piping weighs in @ 20lbs; so the total will be 64lbs.
Total will be 64lbs. As for the outside collars. two of those reg collars from an Academy sporting store fits, the ones w/ the wingnut bolt.

[quote]conorh wrote:
Actually, I would get solid round stock instead of either. It’ll be 11ish bucks a foot, but it’ll be strong as hell and pretty heavy. You don’t need the fancy stuff for drive shafts, either, the regular sold round stuff will do. Add a couple machine shaft collars and you have a barbell, albeit without rotating sleeves.
[/quote]

I have a 2’ x 5 foot cold roll shaft
that I use for deadlifts that costed me roughly $55 & weighs 50lbs. I’ve had it a few years an no sign of even bending. Typically I would buy a cold roll shaft, but the guy that I used to deal with has since closed and the other only local guy wants $20 a foot for cold roll. I really don’t care to give him buisness either. But it isa great idea, it would probly weigh in @ 70lbs.

It sounds like you can get by at 1/4 to 1/2 the price of buying one commercially. And, there is just something primal about building your own…very satisfying.

[quote]FamilyMan wrote:
APE. wrote:
I am planning on making my own thick barbells for Benching an Delt Presses, APE.

Sounds like you want a fat bar like the Appolon’s Axle. I have wanted to do the same thing, but it sounds like you have looked into it a little more.

What do you plan to use on the ends of the bars to keep the weights from sliding in toward your hands? (ie, the sleeve that holds the weights) I figured there must be some sort of collar that would slip over the bar, but I don’t know what to use.[/quote]

The best thing I have found for sleeves/collars are 1.5"-1.5" pipe couplings available at hardware stores. If you cut them in half, then one is enough for both sides. It takes a wrench to tighten but will hold tight.

Thanks.